Am I spraying wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmeraldBeauty

Reaction score
I use LA Tan and have sprayed a few people including myself.

Everyone I have sprayed said the sprays are fine but would like to be darker. I did my sister who is very pale and Ginger in a 12% and she still said it was abit light!

However when I sprayed myself I used a 10% and thought I wouldn't like to be much darker! I'm wondering if I had a better colour because I was closer.

I'm using about 50ml for a full body and it takes me roughly 7-10 mins to spray a full body. And tips would be greatly apreciated!

Also my gun is set to spray vertically and at roughly 8'oclock from closed if that makes sense.

X

I'm using LA and have my gun set the same Hun. everyone I've sprayed has been a nice colour and defo deep enough for the %. how far away are you spraying from the body?
Remember tan takes differently to everyone it may not be your technique

I'm roughly about an arms length away? Xx

Hi hun, I was always told a hands length away so maybe get in that little bit closer.. xx

Obviously i cant comment on all your clients but have you considered that your sister will just not go dark, in light of her pale skin tone and ginger hair. Remember the skin will only take so much dha before you will start getting those dodgy colours everyone dreads lol

Just a thought (i havent used LA so cant comment on the tan itself)

The gun being an arms length away from the client is way too far away.

Your gun should be a hands length away (about 6 inches) from the client.

This will mean that more of the solution will go onto the skin and they will come out darker, it sounds like you have been spraying a very light mist all over your clients and they have had very little of the solution actually land on them.

Thanks everyone got 2 clients in later so will get closer and see how it goes x

Ok so did my 2 clients tonight and got about a hands width away from them. But now I'm finding the tan Is gathering and running in certain places, like tops of thighs, tops of shoulders etc. Am I going to slow now? Or should I change the gun from 8 o'clock to 9 or 10 o'clock?
I did find I used about 80ml of tan this time do wonder if I was to paranoid about being closer I slowed down?!

Who knew spray tanning was such an art form!? :)

Xx

Ok so did my 2 clients tonight and got about a hands width away from them. But now I'm finding the tan Is gathering and running in certain places, like tops of thighs, tops of shoulders etc. Am I going to slow now? Or should I change the gun from 8 o'clock to 9 or 10 o'clock?
I did find I used about 80ml of tan this time do wonder if I was to paranoid about being closer I slowed down?!

Who knew spray tanning was such an art form!? :)

Xx
Slowing down would mean the solution flow is too open for you and therfore you would use more solution and get the odd run or wet area. If you think you could go faster at the 6 inch distance then don't change your setting just speed up .

If you would prefer to continue going slower for now then you need to close the flow a bit more (so turn your dial a little bit towards the 9 and try it on couch roll - remember to hold the gun the same distance you would a client and swipe at the same speed you spray a client - do this and check that the back of the couch roll is dry and the front is just damp, adjust the gun and continue to test on new couch roll until you find the correct setting for you & your speed).

Firstly, you need to turn your spray nozzle down as you are spraying too much solution out. Secondly, if your client has pale skin then you are wasting your time spraying any higher than 8% as it will not take on the skin. If your client wants a darker tan then you should be advising her to get sprayed with 8%, letting it develop and getting sprayed again the next day. This would also give a more natural effect. You should always consult with your client as to how well she tans in the sun. This should help you decide the percentage of solution you use. This should have been explained to you when you trained. :)

if your client has pale skin then you are wasting your time spraying any higher than 8% as it will not take on the skin.

I am not sure I agree with this. Either the DHA works on the skin or it doesn't; using a higher concentration will make the skin more brown, surely.

I am not sure I agree with this. Either the DHA works on the skin or it doesn't; using a higher concentration will make the skin more brown, surely.

On a fair skin, going too high with the DHA level (ie above 8% is about the limit I would go or 1 hour max for a rapid tan), won't have the effect of going browner, it will tend to throw orange tones and fade poorly and more quickly.

Latest posts

Back