Am I too expensive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if you think I charge to much for extensions. There are people in my area charging £140 for full head and that includes the hair! I can't compete with that! I charge £240 (with an aftercare pack and 20% off atm) I have had lots of people enquire but as soon as I say the price they are not interested x

No you're not too expensive.
There's so many people offering extension for less then £150 I don't really advertise them much now.
Think of your pricing as:
- the hair
- fitting baring in mind how long it takes
- a hair cut
- aftercare
- petrol/rent.

People paying £100 or less for hair must be making around £50 if that.
You're a trained and experienced hairdresser your worth a lot more then that

I am having the same problems, but I think if you want to pay that little you are not getting quality, in either your hair or your fitting/aftercare. Unfortunately the girls round here dont really care about how dreadful they look, and just want long (ratty scruggy) hair for almost nothing. I too have stopped advertising them as I cant compete with the local place that charges £99 for a full head!

I have however had to fix/remove a few from there and another salon and they are shocking...girls having had them in for 3 months and not being given proper aftercare advice or even told about maintenance...i do love having to get out 3 inch dreadlocks before I can even begin on putting hair up for prom as happened on friday but thats another matter.

Dont lower your prices though babychops, you are worth the money and you will get the girls who want quality over price :) xxx

I agree extensions are an expensive treatment anyway it takes a long time to do. I don't do them but my best friend does and she fitted mine. They are cheaper hair but not budget but personally is rather have gone for the balmain hair for the quality. If people are having extensions but don't want to pay for good hair they aren't the type of client that is going to look after them. I bet any money on it and its your name on the line. I said this to someone before why don't u fit some for a family or close friend? Just ask them to cover hair cost and fit them. My friend had 1 confirmed booking and 3 other consultations the week I had them put in. But don't lower ur prices its a lot of work!!!!

I agree extensions are an expensive treatment anyway it takes a long time to do. I don't do them but my best friend does and she fitted mine. They are cheaper hair but not budget but personally is rather have gone for the balmain hair for the quality. If people are having extensions but don't want to pay for good hair they aren't the type of client that is going to look after them. I bet any money on it and its your name on the line. I said this to someone before why don't u fit some for a family or close friend? Just ask them to cover hair cost and fit them. My friend had 1 confirmed booking and 3 other consultations the week I had them put in. But don't lower ur prices its a lot of work!!!!

I have done a few friends for free (they paid for hair) so iv got lots of pictures and they are always getting compliments on it x

For a full head of 18", my prices start from £400. I've never had a problem with clients paying this amount because the type of clients I have fortunately, have the cash to spend.

Never lower your prices unless you want to attract that type of client.

I'm just wondering if you think I charge to much for extensions. There are people in my area charging £140 for full head and that includes the hair! I can't compete with that! I charge £240 (with an aftercare pack and 20% off atm) I have had lots of people enquire but as soon as I say the price they are not interested x

I charge same as you and just down the road . I get extensions maybe one client a month , as people would want to pay rubbish prices for rubbish hair x

I'm just really starting out again with hair ex and trying to build a portfolio, I was only asking for the price of the hair and still cant get people booked in ,there saying it's too expensive lol ...I'm not giving up though and as soon as I've done at least 5 my prices will be about the same as yours ....I see it that I can get 2 colours done in that time so I'll be charging that amount x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

On average I charge £160. But I have only been doing them just over two months, so feel this price is realistic. I think you have to remember that we all have to price for our areas too. I do look at some people offering full sets for £100 and the woman cannot be making much at all!! X

So how much do you make then for your fitting? Ie after hair costs?

I make about £100 profit x

I make about £100 profit x

Sorry, I meant raynebow. I charge the same as you babychops, I don't do as many as I'd like but I don't grudge them as I am making an appropriate amount x

Sorry, I meant raynebow. I charge the same as you babychops, I don't do as many as I'd like but I don't grudge them as I am making an appropriate amount x

O sorry lol x

Hey, I make around £50. Which I know isn't much, but I don't think I could charge more right now until I'm quicker. I'm taking 2.5/3 hours to do a full set. I think I want to see how long my clients are lasting, how often they need maintenance and how long the hair last before I try to sell myself as more. I can hardly make guarantees as to the quality of the hair or application without first hand knowledge I don't think. Sometimes I make less than £50, sometimes more. Depends on the supplier. But in the two months I've been doing them, I've done 25 people. All whom I've got through word of mouth. Plus I'm mainly working nights around looking after my little girls so its defo enough for now! In September ill be going full time and will want between 80-100 profit on each fitting at least. Do you think people will assume I'm rubbish if I'm cheap?

Just to add also is that I also do beauty too, so most have their eyebrows done whilst they're with me or book other appointments, so I make more overall x

Hey, I make around £50. Which I know isn't much, but I don't think I could charge more right now until I'm quicker. I'm taking 2.5/3 hours to do a full set. I think I want to see how long my clients are lasting, how often they need maintenance and how long the hair last before I try to sell myself as more. I can hardly make guarantees as to the quality of the hair or application without first hand knowledge I don't think. Sometimes I make less than £50, sometimes more. Depends on the supplier. But in the two months I've been doing them, I've done 25 people. All whom I've got through word of mouth. Plus I'm mainly working nights around looking after my little girls so its defo enough for now! In September ill be going full time and will want between 80-100 profit on each fitting at least. Do you think people will assume I'm rubbish if I'm cheap?

They should take that long anyway shouldn't they? My friend will be charging £50 an hour. I think that is a fair price. Like she says she can do a set of lash extensions in an hour and can charge £60 for that

I charge £40 an hour, based on taking three hours for a set. I think that's a fairly reasonable charge, as I could make that in the salon doing other treatments. I think you should charge as you mean to go on. I personally would think cheap=rubbish, its nothing against your skill as I've no idea how good you are, that's just my opinion. I'm not the cheapest or the most expensive in my area but I get enough work from it.

Hmmm so do you think ill loose customers if I raise it now? I've got to compete with those in my area though and they charge similar prices. I feel that I can only charge what I'm worth and the fact I'm just two months in, means I feel I'm not worth much .
I've not had a complaint. Just one removal that was because she couldn't keep up with the maintenance. Did you all charge what you do now, straight away? X

I have only been doing it for a few months and only done models so far. That's why I have 20% off for a while then I will take that off. X

If anything, your prices are too low.

I used to worry about the same thing and decided to go for a 'tier' system, but the biggest complaints I got were from the clients going for the cheapest hair. I remember one girl practically huffing and puffing that the quality of the hair 'wasn't really the best'. Well, for £150, what did you expect? Also, I warned her and was very honest to her. Since then, I've killed off the cheaper options and I've had much less, if any, problems.

I've realized that the demographic I was getting by offering cheap extensions and/or discounts was not one I was comfortable handling, it's much easier to have good clients that are happy to spend money on quality things.

Latest posts

Back