Am I too expensive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlekate

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I've been pondering over my pricing for nails for a while now....
I used to rent a room in quite a wealthy area but in April I moved into my new house and am now working from home in a not so wealthy area. I have a beautiful treatment room which I love and everyone that's seen it has said how professional it is and I have clients that have followed me and been with me for years but I don't seem to be getting as many new clients as I'd like as it seems people here expect nails to be cheap.
For example I had a comment on my facebook from a lady today saying she'd love to have her nails done but can't afford my price and said they are the same as a salons. I replied with I use high quality products, am highly trained with a lot of experience hence my price but it has knocked my confidence somewhat :(
I don't really want to put them down as then my other clients that are paying the prices quite happily will get them cheaper and I'd be out of pocket but I also want to keep new clients coming in.

I charge £42 for a full set of l and p or gels (cnd) I include french, colour or nail art in these prices
£30 for a rebalance
£30 for shellac

What do you all think?
It's so hard to know what to do for the best as this is my only income so I want to earn a good living.

Kate xx

I live in an average income area..but the clientele won't pay a lot for nails as there are so many shops in the area...nss and private salons....their prices range from £20-42 for a full set....then we have the girls still training offering mobile and they charge £8....people unqualified and uninsured charging £5....I've now learnt to just get my name everywhere post pics everywhere and leave cards in shops...I charge £24 for a full set of gels...I know I should charge more but the people round here it doesn't matter how good you tell then you are until you do theirs they're not bothered...so I put on a special offer and a lot of people came to me and then became regulars xx

Me too, I charge £22 shellac, £22 acrylic and £24 gels!
There are so many salons here doing it for less I have no choice! I'm in the heart of London in a low income area, saturated with nail bars and shops.
If I was renting a space I would charge more but I'm mobile based and honestly I wouldn't rent a space too nearby anyway.

Being honest, I think £40 is quite high for L&P full sets, especially as they are going slightly out of fashion here - everyone is after shellac. But depends on your area, demographic and client base, if they will pay don't lower it!

I think it would be hard for you to lower it at this point as you are established and you do have some loyal clients so why not do some loyalty and refer a friend discounts? That way you don't under well yourself, but still aren't pricing yourself out altogether?

Have you checked out prices in local salons to compare?

Thanks for your replys :)
I've looked at the local competition and there aren't many places doing l&p and gel enhancements apart from one nss. Mostly it is shellac and I've seen a few places charging £25 for shellac. Maybe if I did a loyalty card that may be better as then I'm not losing out too much on my already regular clients. Perhaps I could do an offer on full sets in January so people will try me and then hopefully hook them!

If your others are quite happy to pay your prices why shoot yourself in the foot for the sake of one new one, offers are good, Gets them in the door, you can show off your work. Some times these cheaper places work out just the same by the time they've added the cost of art and repairs anyway,x If you think your worth it and you stand out from the rest clients are happy to pay.x

have to ask but how many clients do you get a week for L&P and rebalance
i would love to charge your prices if the clients were up for it
also how long do they go till they return and do you have a full client base ....?

I used to pay similar for l&p but she was very very good and never had lifting etc. never ever had to get repairs either so I thought it was worth it.

If you have clients paying that then you're doing something right ;) if your clients are happy and returning that's what matters.

My local area isn't wealthy and to be fair I've found my niche with the people who can't afford much but I have a good clientele and I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm going to be honest...hope that's ok!! I'm guessing if you are asking three questions then you aren't as busy as you would like to be? If that is the case and you have had people say that they can't afford you then maybe you are expensive....what is your area like??

I live in a fairly affluent village but I have to keep my prices affordable or I wouldn't be as busy as I am. I get lots asking me prices before they book so I know people are still looking for affordability without having to go to cheap nail bars so it's trying to find a happy medium between the two!!

I charge
Full set of extensions £30(reduced from £35)
2week infills £20
3 week infills £25
Shellac £22 for plain colour £24 for anything else

Latest posts

Back