am i too slow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare_bear

Reaction score
i've been hairdressing for a year this coming weekend, so i am reflecting on my time thus far. a few things worry me and so i just wanted to get some advice.

it still takes me just over an hour to do a full head of foils, and in my salon qualified stylists are expected to do them in 45mins. granted i don;t do them day in day out, my last one was yesterday, but before that it was a couple of months ago. what are u guys like? are u the type that does a full head in 30 mins? will my time improve once i qualify and am doing them day in and day out?

also cutting worries me, it seems sooooooo complicated, i was worried about this unit in my nvq and so left it till last, i can do long grads (layering) but anything else just seems really daunting. Thats another problem because in my salon a cut and blow dry is allocated 45mins (for the whole cut + blow dry) i find it takes me an hour to cut and then about 30mins to blow dry. when i started it would take over an hour to blow dry but because i do that so often i think i'm improving my time.

any advice- am i too slow? or are my timings realistic for someone who has been doing it a year?

dont worry, i remember feeling that i would nver quicken up when i was in your shoes. you definatley get faster the more you will do it and the fact that you are worried just shows you are consciensous and want to do a good job. As for your cutting speed i found that after i had worked in a barbers for a few months, my speed and confidence was much better. perhaps you could enrol on a barbers course or volenteer to work in a barbers one day a week ? Its nice to hear there are new people in the industry that are striving for exellence.:hug: dont give up, hairdressing is a fab trade:)

Dont worry , it will come . That timing is just rudiculous for hi /lites , ok , if its a regular customer and your on the same wavelength , but sometimes if someone is wary , it can take 20 mins just to do the consultation!

Latest posts

Back