Amazing opportunity or too good to be true?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I am really confused and trying to keep my business head on but these butterflies won't simmer down so I'm looking for some advice and opinions please.

Basically, I've been in the industry for a few years now and originally started out mobile (which I hated) I have worked within two different salons, the first of which was diabolical and I left after a month or so (and then the owner threatened me in town, whilst I was out shopping with my sister and my son who was 3 at the time and then proceeded to do everything she could to tarnish my reputation - I know right?!)

I then reluctantly joined a different salon and I've been there for almost three years now. It's just me and another woman that work there but as rental rates have gone up and a few shops along the row have closed so there isn't that much passing trade either, the other woman has decided to move to a home salon. The place where we are at the moment is about £16,000 a year which I can't afford on my own and to be honest it isn't what I'd want anyhow as it's MUCH to big for a start.

Anyway, I started looking around to see about other salons renting rooms etc. There's a limited amount of quality salons in the area (I pride myself on quality) and they are asking about £35-40 per day. I stumbled across a room for rent today which is less than a 5 minute walk from where I am now. It's in an industrial estate... It's a huge complex which mainly used as a gym. It has sunbeds, a tattoo parlour and a hairdressers it no beauty. The room is the perfect size for me and possible one other if I wanted to get someone else in. So here's the deal...

They are offering it to me at £375pcm all in. I can but my own signage up outside the building, it has wifi, completely separate from the gym with a shared entrance to the hairdressers. The hairdressers don't offer beauty except HD Brows (which I don't do). The guy said I will have my own set of keys and can come and go as I please. I am allowed to redecorate and they'd even give me 2 weeks free to see if it's suitable for me and for them. It's perfect but it sounds too good to be true?

I know £375 doesn't sound like much but it's still a commitment and that scares me. What if for whatever reason it doesn't work and I don't make enough to pay it? I know it's a risk and some risks end up being the best things we ever did. It's a step in the right direction for where I want my business to go and the gym and hairdressers has a really good reputation. They even said they would add me and my website to theirs.

What would you do? I'm excited/scared but in my head I am back and forth between "you'd be stupid to pass this opportunity up and grab it before someone else does" and "if something sounds too good to be true,it usually is" .

Is there anything else I should be asking them?

I'm looking forward to all of your advice :hugs:

It sounds a good deal to me, they are willing to let you do basically what you want, you can be running your business separately which is great, they will also have passing/ incoming trade there already. I'd say go for it but ask if there is a contract in place to sign x

Sounds like a fab offer. Do u have any clients that would come with you?

Thanks for the replies. I already have an existing clientele who have said they would come with me if I went to another salon or stay with me if I decided to go mobile but how many of them ACTUALLY do is another story and that uncertainty is what worries me. The owner has agreed to put everything in writing for me. I'm trying to hold back my excitement 😬

That sounds like a really good deal especially if it's inclusive of other bills like electric and water too.
I think in life you regret the things you don't do and would spend time thinking about the what ifs if you don't do it. Why don't you ask for a get out clause after a year if your worried it might not work. Maybe chat to the hair salon and get a feel for how busy they are. It sounds like there could be lots of potential clients from there and the gym. Sounds exciting!

The owner has stated that it would be on a monthly rolling basis. They would invoice me on the 1st of each month and if I wanted to leave or they wanted me to leave they would want/give one months notice. Am I being over precautious thinking this sounds too good to be true? He also said I can pop in and speak to the hairdressers if I'd like. I was thinking that if she was okay with that maybe we could do a deal e.g if I do someone's nails they get a % off having their hair done with her and vice versa. I know the hairdressers has a good reputation so having them recommend me would be beneficial 😳

It sounds good, but make sure you get everything in writing first and include a trial period for you both too. A get out clause which either party can use without ill feeling.

Sounds fab, my salon was above a gym on an industrial estate for 6yrs similar kinda set up. Loved it there but we grew and eventually needed our own bigger space, luckily managed to find a small unit just down the road. Just make sure you read contracts properly and maybe see if you can speak to the other businesses see how they are getting on there. Good luck xx

I don't think I would like the fact they can ask me to leave with a months notice. If you have spent money getting the salon ready, you want enough time there to recoup your investment. I would get a solicitor to draw up a proper contract with an agreed minimum term and the option to renew or you could find some one else sees you doing well, wants to muscle in so offers more rent than you and the landlord gets greedy so decides to get you out and get them in. Prob worst case scenario but you need to make sure you are protected!

Sounds good.

I'd say the 1 month rolling contract would be a good idea for the first 6 months then after that period I'd suggest a 6 month rolling contract.

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like an amazing opportunity... I say go for it 😃 as long as u have everything in writing and ur happy that they have answered all queries then I would jump at the chance. They're giving u a few wks free so even if it's friends and family coming for treatments there's ur first months rent right there. U already have the product etc so there is no cost to buying furniture maybe just some "wilko" paint 😜
I would love for u to keep us posted with pics etc 😃
Do u have a fb page I will defo share x x

Only thing that would bother me is the rolling contract monthly. Leaves them open to push the rent up should they see fit. Perhaps discuss this with them? But It leaves it open for you to walk away should it be no good for you so this does have pros and cons for both parties. Everything else seems really good though. Ultimately it's up to you, i wish you lots of luck with it. Keep us posted x

Thanks to everyone. I slept on it last night (couldn't sleep very well as my mind was in overdrive) I am one that lives in 'signs' and this morning I had an email for my horoscope which basically said I should stop overthinking and take a chance. I called this morning and said I'll take it! I'm SO excited! 😁😁

Woop woop congratulations 🎉🎊🎈🎉🎈🎉🎊🎈🎉🎊🎈🎉🎊🎈🎉🎊🎈🎉🎊🎈 can't wait to see pics 😃😃😃

That's great news good luck! X

Good Luck Hun!

Be sure to show us progress pics!

Thanks to everyone. I slept on it last night (couldn't sleep very well as my mind was in overdrive) I am one that lives in 'signs' and this morning I had an email for my horoscope which basically said I should stop overthinking and take a chance. I called this morning and said I'll take it! I'm SO excited! 😁😁

That is fantastic! At least you can't say you didn't think carefully first. I hope it all goes really well for you x

Go for it, I had a 'one month to quit' contract and was there for 7 years.
If you're paying, why would they want you to leave?
I wish you every success in your new venture.
Enjoy x

So... Today was my first official day at my new salon and I wanted to share some pictures with you and thank you all for your kind words and support :hugs: :biggrin: ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426018717.870288.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426018741.474719.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426018767.126232.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426018798.144269.jpg

What a beautiful job you have made of your beauty salon good luck 😻😻

Latest posts

Back