ancient NVQ2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllumeGirl

Reaction score
A Practical Guide to Beauty Therapy ... - Google Book SearchA Practical Guide to Beauty Therapy for Nvq Level 2 - Google Books Resultby Janet Simms - 1998 - Health & Fitness - 324 pages
Acrylic nails Remember Acrylic nail products can also be applied as an overlay to strengthen the natural nails as they grow. ...

Thank God times have changed since 1998. A gem of info included is to glue down lifted acrylic..the exact words. Brilliant little read...not.

Last edited:
A Practical Guide to Beauty Therapy ... - Google Book SearchA Practical Guide to Beauty Therapy for Nvq Level 2 - Google Books Resultby Janet Simms - 1998 - Health & Fitness - 324 pages
Acrylic nails Remember Acrylic nail products can also be applied as an overlay to strengthen the natural nails as they grow. ...

Thank God times have changed since 1998. A gem of info included is to glue down lifted acrylic..the exact words. Brilliant little read...not.

It was embarrassing it was so bad. Thank goodness times have changed but it is still not perfect.

Then again, it was only a few short years ago that the Milady book, that all US techs use, was still teaching that a bacterial infection was mould!!!

They are still teaching in colleges all over the world that the Eponychium is the cuticle!! Which all goes to show why we need to keep up to date with new facts as they are revealed.

Allot of the students on this site are more updated with current information than their tutors. It causes great confusion and in order to pass, these same students have to take tests and give incorrect information (that they know is incorrect) in order to pass the test. CRAZY

I get messages from many nail techs from the USA that tell me they have passed their State Boards and have their licence but still can't do a nice looking nail and don't feel competent. Same here in the UK with NVQ students.

It seems that more time is spent teaching rules and regulations and government requirements than how to do the JOB of nail enhancement!! These girls have the credentials but haven't been given the skills. That is not preparing people for the workplace is it!! Isn't that what training is supposed to do?

Then again, it was only a few short years ago that the Milady book, that all US techs use, was still teaching that a bacterial infection was mould!!!

:lol:I've got that book. That's what they gave us when I trained.

Someone who had done a 3 day course recently told me it was their bible. I didn't quite know what to say, so I just recommended Doud Schoon's book and said it was much better.

MMMM I know all about giving incorrect info to students, just so they can pass, so I quit my well paid teaching job quite a while ago.
At least we didn't advise to glue up lift LOL.
But was sick to death about the water mould and giving 5 mins to sculpts.:grr:
It isn't training students fully for the work place at all, but unfortunately, unless colleges throw these work books in the trash, then tutors have to teach this, or quit.
It used to kill me (literally) calling the eponychium the cuticle.
The classes are far too large (at first) to teach proper application skills.
Give me a 121 any day, nails are a definite skill.
My best ( and favourite) class was a group of six, who all but one, were very skilled upon passing.
It is a shame though that so many were crammed in initially, half I am sure dropped out because of that.
A few good future techs could have been in those drop outs. (And dont we need more of those)Lets move out of the '80's rubbish.
Even though that NVQ2 was dated 1998 (almost 2000) I will bet my brush that it is from then.I could scream reading this crap (ola)

Latest posts

Back