Annoyed, platinum blonde help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy2986

Reaction score
I work at a Salon and currently a nail tech but have a full cosmetology license...I just got my license about a year ago but just recently got my first job at a salon and like i said i just do nails..

well anyways..i bleach my hair and its platinum blonde and i want to go to a light brown/dark blonde and everyone at the salon is acting like its not a good idea and that it'll turn green..:irked: like what would they tell a client?! no they cant go darker?! i'm so annoyed, its almost like no one wants to do my hair..can anyone guide me on what to use,cause since i bleach and tone my own hair, i'll just say @#?@# them and do it myself..:cry:

I work at a Salon and currently a nail tech but have a full cosmetology license...I just got my license about a year ago but just recently got my first job at a salon and like i said i just do nails..

well anyways..i bleach my hair and its platinum blonde and i want to go to a light brown/dark blonde and everyone at the salon is acting like its not a good idea and that it'll turn green..:irked: like what would they tell a client?! no they cant go darker?! i'm so annoyed, its almost like no one wants to do my hair..can anyone guide me on what to use,cause since i bleach and tone my own hair, i'll just say @#?@# them and do it myself..:cry:

Think u will have to pre pigment the hair then put the colour u want xD

If I were u I'd go to a salon get it done lol and then turn up to work with new look lol

Think u will have to pre pigment the hair then put the colour u want xD

What do you mean by pre-pigment? (new at hair) :o

Sandy2986 We here in the UK and probably most geeks outwith the US won't understand what hair qualifications or training you have had to gain your cosmetology licence.
Could you maybe please let the Hair Geeks know what level you are at, so that they can explain better.

We learned color application techniques, but nothing on color itself add how it works,I was taught the basics at school

Sent from my LG-LG855 using SalonGeek

We learned color application techniques, but nothing on color itself add how it works,I was taught the basics at school

Sent from my LG-LG855 using SalonGeek

Was it a fast track course? The only time iv seen us education was at flavio's school and they did teach the theory behind colouring too.
Yea your salon is right putting a base straight on it will turn your hair green as bleaching it has stripped its natural pigments out. To get a base 6 at lowest you need a gold tone (eg. 6.3) to get to a 4 you need copper and lower than that you need a red copper.
Look in your colour book and find a colour with gold in it, ask them to use that and you will take the hit if it turns green (it won't)!
Is the salon you are in staffed by new stylists? Do they get regular education as this is really one of the basics that anyone with a hairdressing qualification should know already xoxo

Sandy2986 We here in the UK and probably most geeks outwith the US won't understand what hair qualifications or training you have had to gain your cosmetology licence.
Could you maybe please let the Hair Geeks know what level you are at, so that they can explain better.

Here in the US, cosmetology school typically is one intense year of training in all aspects of hair and beauty. It sounds a bit similar to beauty colleges in the UK as far as quality of education goes. We don't have specific training levels as it is a requirement for licensing to know all aspects. Cosmetology schools in the US train the students just well enough to pass state board exams. Our exams are a combination of hands on demonstration, as well as written tests on book knowledge. Every professional has to pass all exams in order to be licensed. Each state has its own licensing rules and qualifications. Annual fees are paid in order to keep our licenses valid.
The true creative training comes after cosmetology school, the best salons take on new graduates and put them through intensive creative training before being allowed to perform services. Some new graduates do go directly into performing services even though they aren't truly ready.
Basically anyone qualified and licensed in the US is trained in everything from cutting, coloring, barbering, skin care, nails, etc...

Here in the US, cosmetology school typically is one intense year of training in all aspects of hair and beauty. It sounds a bit similar to beauty colleges in the UK as far as quality of education goes. We don't have specific training levels as it is a requirement for licensing to know all aspects. Cosmetology schools in the US train the students just well enough to pass state board exams. Our exams are a combination of hands on demonstration, as well as written tests on book knowledge. Every professional has to pass all exams in order to be licensed. Each state has its own licensing rules and qualifications. Annual fees are paid in order to keep our licenses valid.
The true creative training comes after cosmetology school, the best salons take on new graduates and put them through intensive creative training before being allowed to perform services. Some new graduates do go directly into performing services even though they aren't truly ready.
Basically anyone qualified and licensed in the US is trained in everything from cutting, coloring, barbering, skin care, nails, etc...

Nope, the uk has one year of basics, shampooing, conditioning, blowdries, health and safety, second year is cutting colouring perming. You can only do one at a time. I wouldn't even entertain someone who had done one year to "train" at all aspects and beauty too. And by no means would I expect them to know much about colouring or how to properly apply never mind other aspects. Xoxo

I just want my hair about 3 levels darker to a medium blonde/light brown :)

Was just sitting here thinking, couldn't I just by a toner & tone my hair to my desired color? Cause i know they sell toners that are a darker blonde/carmel color..

Toners are used to get rid of unwanted pigments from the hair, not to add colour or depth. As said above...if the stylists in your salon won't do it, go to a salon who will. You could have some darker foils put through instead? This way it will break up the blonde.
Don't try and attempt this yourself if you don't have the basic knowledge of colour, it will probably end up going drastically wrong and will cost you more in the long run x

Nope, the uk has one year of basics, shampooing, conditioning, blowdries, health and safety, second year is cutting colouring perming. You can only do one at a time. I wouldn't even entertain someone who had done one year to "train" at all aspects and beauty too. And by no means would I expect them to know much about colouring or how to properly apply never mind other aspects. Xoxo

In the cosmetology license focus, hair is he star of the training. Beauty is all secondary. But it is all the basics. Cosmetology school is like a full time job. It is 40 hours a week of part education, part clinical hands on work. There is not a program that focuses on only hair... But their are specialty programs for skin, nails, etc... Schooling only prepares the student to get heir license. Creativity training is then left to the individual to pursue.

In the cosmetology license focus, hair is he star of the training. Beauty is all secondary. But it is all the basics. Cosmetology school is like a full time job. It is 40 hours a week of part education, part clinical hands on work. There is not a program that focuses on only hair... But their are specialty programs for skin, nails, etc... Schooling only prepares the student to get heir license. Creativity training is then left to the individual to pursue.

My cosmetology school was like a military boot camp. Which at the time was annoying, but when it was finished I was thankful. But here in the US, the true training begins after the license is attained. I spent the first years of my career training with the best mentors and attending every advanced academy I could.

But it has to be said, English hairdressers are highly sought after all over the world because even though US train in everything, English is alot more intense.... Well used to be when I trained! X

But it has to be said, English hairdressers are highly sought after all over the world because even though US train in everything, English is alot more intense.... Well used to be when I trained! X

Very true! Here in the US, if you speak with any international accent, and are a hairstylist. You are golden. But, I have heard stories of European stylists having a hard time getting licensed here because of the educational differences. I have always wanted to get to London to train myself, but it has yet to happen. I've still managed to train with plenty of big names along the way.

Very true! Here in the US, if you speak with any international accent, and are a hairstylist. You are golden. But, I have heard stories of European stylists having a hard time getting licensed here because of the educational differences. I have always wanted to get to London to train myself, but it has yet to happen. I've still managed to train with plenty of big names along the way.

I'm guessing it would cost a fortune when you factor in education costs, travel and accommodation.
Would e great to do an exchange programme or experience programme where for example I came to yours, stayed at your home and worked with you for 2 weeks then we moved over to mine and you worked with me. Xoxo

I'm guessing it would cost a fortune when you factor in education costs, travel and accommodation.
Would e great to do an exchange programme or experience programme where for example I came to yours, stayed at your home and worked with you for 2 weeks then we moved over to mine and you worked with me. Xoxo

Yes, quite a fortune... And I have never found a financial program that offers assistance for international hairstylists seeking advanced education. So my training has all been done here in the US. I have thought about just packing up and moving to the UK to work in Salons there for a few years, but as I'm getting older it feels a bit too foolish an idea. HaHa

Here in the US, those of us who are intensely trained is only because we sought it out on our own and payed thousands more for the advanced education. I'm horrified by the amount of beauty school graduates who take straight to working behind the chair, thinking they know all that is needed.

What does it typically cost an individual in the UK to attend beauty college?

When I went to school it was 2100 hours. Very intense and if you scored under an 85 you retook the course. When I graduated I could do a full color correction without help and get the desired level. Really depends on what state in U.S. you live in. I would love to do an exchange program.

Latest posts

Back