Another Newbie Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonzo

Reaction score
After looking into several learn from home courses I stumbled across this

Gel Nails

I was wondering if any of you could give me your honest opnions please? I was planning on doing the nail repair course after that one, and then the nail brush art course after I'd saved up enough money. I've requested information packs from Creative nails too but I have a 17 month old daughter and am currently 6 months pregnant with daughter #2 (I know glutten for punishment :)) so depending on when the course actually runs it may prove to be a problem.

I'm now off of my regular job until next February (WHOOPEE!) and am hoping that between now and then I should have managed to pass enough courses and gained enough experience so that I won't have to go back to the evil job. Any tips/advice would be very much appreciated!!

Hi,
Welcome to the site!!

I enrolled on the essential nails course, which is home study!!
But I found I just couldnt get on with it, so Ive ended up booking myself onto a gel nail course with a tutor!!

Angie
xx

Just make sure that insurance companies will recognise the qualification - you cant work on paying clients without insurance.

Also think about the future - some higher end product houses will not accept home learning course as adequate previous experience, therefore you will not be able to do a conversion course with them, but would have to start again from scratch!

my motto is buy cheap, buy twice, but best of luck with whatever you decide to do xx

IMO, home learn courses are expensive especially when you consider that you don't have an actual tutor showing/teaching you what to do...... Personally, I couldn't have learnt the skills I needed without a real-life tutor.

Another thing to bear in mind is that companies like Creative don't accept home-learn courses as a qualification, so if you wanted to become a CND tech in the future you would have to start from scratch rather than doinga conversion course. Again, speaking personally I decided that if I was going to change my career to be Nail Tech I deserved the best shot at it and that incluided the best training.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the knowledge that my Nail Tech/Beauty Therapist/Hairdresser/Dentist learnt their trade at home from a dvd...... I would opt for classroom training every time.

hth's

Just make sure that insurance companies will recognise the qualification - you cant work on paying clients without insurance.

Also think about the future - some higher end product houses will not accept home learning course as adequate previous experience, therefore you will not be able to do a conversion course with them, but would have to start again from scratch!

my motto is buy cheap, buy twice, but best of luck with whatever you decide to do xx

Thanks, it's not so much the money it's when the courses run. Like I say I'm 6 months pregnant at the moment and ideally would like to have completed a course before bump is due. I'm not sure when courses normally run which is why I've requested the info. That specific online course says you are eligilbe to apply for insurance immediately after completing the course and that the qualification is recognised by Habia (The government recognised standards setting body for hair, beauty and body art & nails),British Learning Association,Guild of professional Beauty Therapists and Professional Beauty Direct.

There just seems to be a minfield of course out there and for someone with not a huge knowledge on the subject it can be quite daunting!!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back