Another teeth whitening thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanilla

Reaction score
Hey Geeks,

I'm thinking of training in teeth whitening. I've seen on here some people don't agree with it if it's really illegal why are so many people still offering it?

I've found a company offering training not sure if to go for it.
It's the non peroxide one. They also train you in a new type of temporary veneers that last for a few months has anyone heard of these??

The company is called teeth whitening 103. xx

Can I ask why you want to offer this?

For me, the grey area makes it a no no, and the risk of being sued makes it a bigger no no.

I also have no desire to whiten people's teeth.

I'm afraid all you'll get out of this is the companies who are trying to sell you something saying it's fine, but all the evidence pointing to the fact that it's not.

If you wanted your teeth whitened, would you go and see you or would you go and see a dentist?

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

'TEMPORARY VENEERS!!!!!'........YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS :Scared:

Hey Geeks,

I'm thinking of training in teeth whitening. I've seen on here some people don't agree with it if it's really illegal why are so many people still offering it?

I've found a company offering training not sure if to go for it.
It's the non peroxide one. They also train you in a new type of temporary veneers that last for a few months has anyone heard of these??

The company is called teeth whitening 103. xx

Out beauty team did a teeth whitening course
We no longer offer it as the service is ILLEGAL whether or not it is peroxide or non peroxide, we received a friendly warning letter from GDC and double checked it all

It goes against all GDC rules and regulations and against EU Laws
The act is not illegal for somebody to purchase the equipment and do to themselves but to do on somebody else is illegal

This is only brought fully to legislation in 2014 so is newer updated laws

It is only legal to be carried out by a dentist or under the direct direction of a dentist

Due to having to spot any gum disease, cavities, bad teeth cracks etc before being able to perform the service

An insurance company WILL NOT insure you without a GDC number

Also, it's not just about risking a fine. It's actually a criminal offence and if prosecuted, leaves you with a criminal record.

As a comparison with regards to advertising training, you see plenty of 'dodgy' stuff offered for sale on eBay, or at a car boot sale but they're not going to close down ebay or car boot sales just because of what's being offered for sale.

There's clearly doubt in your mind otherwise you wouldn't be posting on here seeking re-assurance.

There have been a number of prosecutions for providing this service which should be a serious red flag to leave well alone.

As a business owner you may well be looking for new revenue streams to enhance your business and there is nothing wrong with trying to be enterprising, but please, for your own professional credibility stick to the industry that you trained in and find services that fit within that umbrella and don't give people the impression that you are a 'jack of all trades, master of nothing' as this is not good for your reputation.

More and more people WILL get prosecuted for providing this service, don't be one of them.

Your right i was seeking reassurance.
I've had a good think I won't be doing the course xx

Why do so many companies get away with providing training courses for this? Xx

Why do so many companies get away with providing training courses for this? Xx

I was thinking the same thing. How are so many companies getting away with this x

I have heard of the company and to be honest I have been in the same situation as you... in two minds whether to train with them.

I looked into it quite a bit and even spoke to the owner of the company.

I also dont understand how so many companies are still earning from it if it is illegal. Its not like they couldn't find companies offering teeth whitening within minutes on the net and get them shut down, but they don't. :-s

From what I've read, its illegal to pass a tray to the client, to put your hands into their mouth and to use peroxide.

This company do not use peroxide and it is self-administrated. Which is not actually breaking the law.

Its so confusing.

This debate has been going on and on for years and nobody seems to agree, this should be enough to get alarm bells ringing.
I think it would be a great treatment to be able to offer and a great business but if it's not illegal now, for non dentists, then it soon will be and all the money you spend on training etc will be wasted (let's face it, its a lot of money, not just a few quid).
I can see why it's tempting but I would steer clear. If you're unsure now, would you ever be able to confidently carry out the treatment without sleepless nights of worry? There are so many other amazing treatments to train in that are not ambiguous legally and return good profits I would look spending your money elsewhere. Xxx

I have heard of the company and to be honest I have been in the same situation as you... in two minds whether to train with them.

I looked into it quite a bit and even spoke to the owner of the company.

I also dont understand how so many companies are still earning from it if it is illegal. Its not like they couldn't find companies offering teeth whitening within minutes on the net and get them shut down, but they don't. :-s

From what I've read, its illegal to pass a tray to the client, to put your hands into their mouth and to use peroxide.

This company do not use peroxide and it is self-administrated. Which is not actually breaking the law.

Its so confusing.

I spoke with the owner of the company too. What made you decide against it? Inbox me if you like xx

It's quite clear that as far as the governing bodies are concerned any attempt for an individual to aid in the process of whitening teeth is illegal. Plenty of training companies will try and get around this, and eventually test cases will be brought against them, and no doubt like the others they will be fined and convicted. The reason some seem to be geting away with it is that the legal process is lengthy and costly, so it takes time for the governing body to chase them all up.

The very fact that both therapists and training providers have been taken to court and successfully convicted should be enough to set alarm bells ringing.

Personally if you dabble in this area then I feel you are asking for trouble, as you are messing about with a treatment that is outside of your remit as a beauty therapist. Just remember, should you get taken to court and successfully charged, no amount of saying 'I thought it would be OK' will get you out of a very hefty fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back