Anxiety stopping me getting employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanda-43

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Does anyone else have anxiety that makes it really difficult to do trade tests?
I have been to numerous tests that I just mess up because I am so anxious and my hands shake, I have been told I can't apply polish or gel that I dab the polish on, I use the 3 stroke like I was taught, but need to practice to ease my nerves. People I know well I can do a good job and with my own. I really am getting down about the snide little comments in my feedback and my confidence is zero.
Any advice would help me :/

Your GP might prescribe something to calm you down on the day, general health permitting.

Anxiety is horrible but so can people's feedback methods, especially with something subjective like painting technique.

Agree with fluffycloudland....visit your doctor, and see if they can prescribe something to 'dampen down' your anxiety when being tested.

The problem is, if you get the job, and can't overcome the nerves!
You can't keep taking medication.....

Some folk swear by Bach flower remedies......give that a go, also, try sucking on a mint....;).

You don't say when you qualified and if this would be your first job, but confidence is a major issue for many new NT, and the main reason for that is that the training is IMHO too short. I would love it if Nt training not only built skills, but developed confidence. This is what I think many classes don't achieve and it's one reason for the high failure rate.

Many people suffer from the jitters, in some situations I do too - particularly if I have to give public presentation to a room full of NT :). The way I overcome this is to practice, practice and practice - so it's automatic and second nature. It also helps to have a mentor - maybe you can find a seasoned NT who lives locally and will take you under their wing?

The only other thing I can recommend is to keep taking classes to develop your skills. Often you will find others there who have the same issues as you, but the more advanced info you learn will also increase your confidence.

Fake it till you make it. When it came to trade tests for me I use to just really push myself. With the shakey hands I just use to be really chatty and make a joke of it and say 'you'll have to excuse my shakey hands I'm a bit nervous!!'

I went through a period of nervous trade tests and totally botched them up. There's so much riding on a job interview, after all I have bills to pay and the fact that nerves get in the way and ruin it can affect you. I couldn't afford to be out of work the only job available was in a bakery, and worked in a bakery for two years 4 in the morning o'clock starts every shift was like an 8 hour work out. I didn't think I would ever get back to the beauty industry until a local salon owner came in to the bakery and invited me to an interview.
I didn't get that job because she wanted an experienced waxer, but the nerves didn't come back as bad as before and it inspired me to push my self, it made me realize what I was capable of and what I wanted for my life. I went on many job interviews and the pick of the best positions. I interviewed them. If a better position became available or if a salon didn't have to hygiene standards I wanted I left for a better salon. The nerves and working in the bakery were there for a reason, to make me stronger to make me realize what skills I have and what I can improve on and what extra skills I needed to obtain a better position for me and my family and to be in a much better position in my career and financially. I am in a good position now. I still get really really nervous and anxious at times and think that my whole world is going to come crashing down around me because of something very little but it's all in my head. I don't know if anyone can tell how nervous or uptight I am sometimes it I just carry on working and try to over come it as best I can. I get these oh my God what if moments, what if I found myself out of work and couldn't afford to pay my bills.
I have invested in extra courses in my spare time, it's what I need to get on an get ahead to secure mine and my kids future.

You can do this! Nerves and anxiety is there for a reason. We are all human and everybody gets nervous. Think of what you need to improve on from any feedback you have had and improve on it turn it into a positive, develop your skills you are capable and you are as good as anybody else.
The best of luck. :)

A herbal supplement called "quiet life" helps me immensely when I feel my anxiety getting the better of me!......when I went to my docs she says anxiety & depression come hand in hand, I have never suffered from depression, but never the less, she handed me a prescription for anti-depressants, I never got the script as I felt this wasn't right for me. You must do/seek the help/advice which you feel wo help you the most! You can overcome this! Sending positive thoughts! X

I really agree with others on this post, you should go and see your doctor. I've suffered with anxiety for years and just kept telling myself il get better and to just keep living my life as I do. Unfortunately trying to help myself made it worse and I got to the point where I had to give up hairdressing because the thought of being around people and meeting knew clients just sent me in to a quivering mess, I even struggled to leave the house at one point. I went to see my doctor and as fluffy66 said they did advise anxiety and depression come hand in hand. They prescribed me medication which I was dubious about taking as I swore blind I wasn't depressed, they also referred me for CBT. After taking the medication now for a few months it's made my anxiety so much better, I'm actually doing things I thought I would never do again. If you don't feel medication is for you maybe ask them about therapy, it's designed to help you change the way you think about situations that make the anxiety bad, it really has helped. Everyone is different and you do need to find the solution that is best for you but honestly it will get better but you must push yourself and don't give in to it! I do hope everything works out for you and you start to feel better soon! X

A herbal supplement called "quiet life" helps me immensely when I feel my anxiety getting the better of me!......when I went to my docs she says anxiety & depression come hand in hand, I have never suffered from depression, but never the less, she handed me a prescription for anti-depressants, I never got the script as I felt this wasn't right for me. You must do/seek the help/advice which you feel wo help you the most! You can overcome this! Sending positive thoughts! X

It annoys me when people say anxiety and depression go hand in hand. Sure they can but this is not always the case.
My daughter has crippling panic attacks when she has to catch public transport. To the point where she can vomit... which only makes hwr anxiety worse. She is on top of it now with the help of medication but by all means she is not depressed, she is far from it.

To the OP. Maybe go and have a Chat to your doctor. This is what I did with my daughter. She started off seeing a therapist who assisted in some calming techniques but like I said in the end she needed meds to sort out the intense nausea that was stopping her dead in her tracks.

Good luck and I wish you all the best.

It annoys me when people say anxiety and depression go hand in hand. Sure they can but this is not always the case.
My daughter has crippling panic attacks when she has to catch public transport. To the point where she can vomit... which only makes hwr anxiety worse. She is on top of it now with the help of medication but by all means she is not depressed, she is far from it.

To the OP. Maybe go and have a Chat to your doctor. This is what I did with my daughter. She started off seeing a therapist who assisted in some calming techniques but like I said in the end she needed meds to sort out the intense nausea that was stopping her dead in her tracks.

Good luck and I wish you all the best.

Don't be annoyed! By hand in hand, it's meant that anxiety and depression are closely connected in that they are caused by similar brain and chemical processes, such as imbalance of serotonin and 'faulty thinking'...not meaning that with one always comes the other, even though this can happen as they do bounce off each other. This is why both are treated with antidepressants, most commonly SSRI's.

To OP, like others have said definitely see your gp, and if you're struggling with low confidence and worrying about what others think then therapy may be well worth your while. :)

I find Kalms very helpful both day and night ones. They really do work.

Latest posts

Back