Any advice regarding funding please Geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittone05

Reaction score
Hey Geeks

I am crossing over from the nail forum to ask some advice.

I have no "formal" wualifications from school to speak of, no GCSE's or anything. i paid myself for my Essential Nails courses and wondered if the fact i have a qualification affect my chances of getting funding to do a hair course.

I am primarily looking into doing a hair extensions course - I would struggle to go to college to study as I live about 20 miles or more away from the college and don't drive. My husband's health is very poor nd I have 2 young children under 10 so couldn't get to college with caring for them and hubby.

Plan is to do a hair extensions course ( recommended via you lovely Geeks - have looked at a couple but at a loss ) and sell hubby's car to pay for my driving lessons/test ( I can already drive ) so I can work flexi hours either self-employed in a salon or mobile myself offering both nail services and hair extensions.

Can anyone offer any pointers or advice please? I am on benefits so hope that there will be something out there but at 30 am not eligible for some training options? xxx

if you were doing a full nvq then yes you would get funding as long as it was your 1st nvq!! but you will not get funding if you just do a hair extention course. and i dont think alot of the hair extention courses will let you do them if you havnt got a level 2 nvq!! but im not 100% on this xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Lux :D The hair courses I have found are private ones as opposed to college and have no basic requirments for the entry level.

If i could get to college, I would love to do an entry level hairdressing but must admit, my interest in hair is more towards braiding in a kind of Afro- Caribbean kind of way rather than colours and styling :D xx

Habia ate clamping down on these courses that don't require any previous qualification!! So you and others might find your insurance will not cover you in the future unless you get your nvq!! But it's not been put through yet and will probably take a few years with the way our government is!
Good luck with your course and hope you have fun!! I hope your husband is ok I no wot it's like caring for some one full time and trying to have your own freedom!! Hard work but worth it!! Xxxxxxxx

Thanks hun :D I am currently selling up all kinds of my stuff - all my deisnger watches, bags and everything so that I can raise the funds myself. With not having hubby's income and not being able to drive at present it is difficult and I am finding myself going mental at present and am ending up bored senseless haha

Hopefully I will get along with it soon and be good and ready to go asap xxxxx

A lot of funding at our local college depends on the household income.
And they help you with transport too.
Look into different options.
Personally, I think ud need to have a qualification to apply extensions, as you would have to blend them into the clients natural hair by cutting.

Thanks Faye - I am looking into both the NVQ side of things and also private training for the extensions. Shall contiue the search lol Shuld hopefully get help with the college for the NVQ but may actually require a house move to enable me to travel as we don't have any bus service in our village and nearest bus stop is 8 miles from us lmao :) x

No way!! Thats terrible :( its like that for me on a lot of courses as I dont drive, total nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

lol we are quite remote here - granted there are about 80-100 houses in our actual village but for a 6-10 mile radius around the village there is no shop, no bus, no trains, not much of anything apart from a couple of other smaller villages lol

Upside is that we are right on the edge of Thetford forest, have some gorgeous scenery around us, lots of wildlife and nature ( Thetford forest has one of the largest bat colonies in Europe I beleive think it is either pipistrelle or small brown bats? ) and the schooling down here for our children is amazing compared to up North with only 65 children in the whole school and a bus that takes them and picks them up each day :D xxx

Latest posts

Back