Any ideas how to lift permanent dye a bit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellpink

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on how to lift my very dark permenant hair colour a bit, I have on my hair? I just want it to fade a bit.
I dont want to colour it any more and my roots are a bit lighter. Are there any shampoo's or things I can do to it.
Just thought I'd mention, about a year and a half ago I stoped bleeching it, because my hair was becoming too dry, so 2/3 of my hair under the dye is bleeched!! :irked: Any ideas, I only want it to fade alittle,
Thankyou x

When was it coloured? If recently you could go to a professional and they could use a tint remover as although this is still harsh on your hair it would be better that bleach. Other than that they could do a mild bleach wash but again this all depends on the quality of your hair and the length of time the tint has been on there.

Please please please do not try to do it yourself as it could and most probably would go very wrong, as you said the roots are a little lighter so the hairdresser would need to be very controlled as to where they applied the chosen solution.

If you go into a reputable salon they will be able to do a thorough analysis on your hair and decide the best way forward.

HTH ;-)

Let us know how you get on xxxx

I last coloured it at the beginning of January, myself. Thanks for your reply, I dont want any more chemicals on it really. it's not really bad condition,but from about half way down, it is quite dry. Will it fade a bit generally anyway? or in the sun?

if you dont want another chemical process on it, it should fade slightly the more you wash it anyway, but wil probably look wishy washy....

Head and Shoulders original shampoo is known for stripping hair colour. You could try that.

I last coloured it at the beginning of January, myself. Thanks for your reply, I dont want any more chemicals on it really. it's not really bad condition,but from about half way down, it is quite dry. Will it fade a bit generally anyway? or in the sun?

If you coloured it at the beginning of january it should have already faded a bit? If it is not in too bad condition then i shouldnt think a bleach wash (if you had an intensive repair treatment after) would do any harm although i would have to see it to be sure. I have heard that Vosene original shampoo strips colour. Just remember though to follow any stripping shampoo with a very good conditioner and leave in moisturiser. If it's strippng the colour out imagine what it is doing to the rest of your hair :eek:

HTH Good Luck

Thanks for the tips geeks x

yes head and shoulders or vosene

Tazzie, can you tell me what is involved in a mild bleach wash - I think I need to do this on one of my clients as she has done a home coloue a few months ago and I tried to tint it (highlights) last night and the colour only took on her roots (uncoloured part of her hair). Thanks x

Hi Eliza,

It really does depend on the hair and i would have to say it is more effective on freshly coloured hair. For a very very mild wash mix powder lightener with warm water and shampoo 1:1:1 ratio and then for more results try removing the water and adding your desired developer again 1:1:1 (the conistancy should be quite runny)

Be carefull of the heat band area and watch it like a hawk as the colour will lift at different speeds due to porosity levels.

I always try to use an acidic shampoo AFTER the bleach wash to bring the PH levels back to normal, try Keune 'salon' after colour shampoo.

You could also try and acidic colour reducing solution as these work in the opposite way to tine, they actually shrink the artificial colour pigments so thay can be rinsed out of the hair shaft.

Let me know if this makes sense at all and let me know how you get on xxx

Latest posts

Back