Any other childfree geeks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes i think, that people should hold off from asking about kids or similar subjects, it could be a touchy area, it could also be that couples simply cant have kids.

Ive noticed, infertility is quite common these days, or it could simply be that people have become more open about their problems.

You know, you may be right. How many times in making small talk with a client have we asked a woman if she has children? I don't recall having asked that of a man. Maybe it has become an indelicate question.

Good point.

I don't recall having asked that of a man. Maybe it has become an indelicate question.

Good point.

I think men only get this question when women are interested in dating him, lol

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

That's alright for him to say isn't it? He's not the one carrying 2-3 stone of weight around for months, enduring morning sickness and trying to push out something the size of a melon out of something the size of a pea. :)
I have a little girl of 8 and I don't bore my work colleagues who are childless with endless talk about her. I also don't want to hear the younger girls in work going on all the time about how much they have paid for this outfit these shoe's, who's going out with who, who got p...ed at the weekend etc.:)

When my son was little, I worked as the Business Manager for a college athletic department so I worked with all male coaches, most of whom were single. One day, we had a meeting in my office and one of the coaches whom I had known for years picked up a picture of my son and said, "Cute kid. Who is he?" He never knew I had a child because I didn't talk about it.

I think men only get this question when women are interested in dating him, lol

You're absolutely right! Don't want any baby-mama-drama. LOL

Having thought about it, while I can't understand the need to have children, the obsession with babies, etc, etc, etc, I suppose I can empathise. I'd walk a long mile in tight shoes to see a kitten or puppy, would stand a sleepless night to care for a newborn fur baby, and just love having a new fur baby in the house - the smell of baby fur and the feel of baby paws on my face just makes me melt.

I am exactly the same. I get terribly broody for kittens. My persians were the most beautiful babies you ever saw. I would have loved to have been a cat breeder, but wouldn't have been able to let them go!

I also have had people say you cannot be complete or a real woman without a child. I put this down to them being jealous of my ability to sneeze, cough and do star jumps in a carefree way. ahem.

Up to present myself & gf are child free :D
We are both referred to as "DINKS" = Double Income No Kids:p

My fiance and i cant stand kids and really dont want them. I was a only child and i think thats the reason i am so un-natural with them. I just go stiff and feel uncomfortable not knowing what to do lol. This is how my mum was and hates kids lol, but she did well with me.
We have had alot of people say "when your 30 youll want them because its getting late to start" but ive said i dont want kids all my life and im 24 now, settled and still dont want them. My dog is my baby boy and i would have him over a baby any day!

I don't have any children as of yet, I'm 25 and waiting. You know where you have some boyfriends in the past and just know that this isn't the relationship you want to have children in. I'm waiting until I'm sure. (as can be)

My younger sisters both have children and have split with their children's fathers and I can't help thinking that they should of waited. Don't know if that makes me a bad person or what. I mean I know there are no guarentees but wait at last a few years into the relationship.

Everyone and I mean everyone asks me when I'm going to have children. My mum the other day was asking my sisters when they thought they would have more children then turned to me and says...I won't ask you because I think you're barren!:eek:

I nearly choked!

Well, we are people with our minds, we have a right to choose. I suppose its a choice, where you kind of have to choose between having a succesful career (hopefully) or being a good mother(hopefully). I dont believe in being perfect at both (unless you build up your business to the point where you can sit back and watch it from afar, but tgat will take ages!). You cant work 14 hour days and have a teeny baby at home that needs your attention, too.

It doesnt necessary mean you wont want kids if you are from a single child family or that you will want a bunch of kids if you have siblings. I think it depends on whatever priorities you set out to yourself.

Personally, Id rather later than sooner, and its because i dont feel grown up enough to have a child. I dont have my own place to live and i dont feel like ive gotten myself to where i want to be. Once i get there - ill know. And ill think about it :) oh, and if im single by then - you dont really need a man to conceive these days ;-D

It may sound cheeky, but i also feel this weird satisfaction when i listen to people with babies complain of tiredness or exhaustion after looking after their kids, talking nappies, poo, breastfeeding. It just makes me happy that i am still able to find time to study, improve myself and learn all things new. Oh, and have a manicure or pedicure in peace.

I had a few friends run out the door when having their nails done right before i had a chance to put a nail polish on just because it was feeding/bathing time. Annoyed me to no end, i just didnt feel like offering them anything any more :-(

Am I alone in my pet peeve about this...?

Before - It's when couples TELL you they're trying for a baby... Like I need to know how much sex you are having!?

Then - acting like they are the ONLY woman who could possibly have managed to have a baby - we've not been doing it for generations...
I definately agree with the complaining how they're so tired etc etc as if it was one big secret that babies take work lol

Too Funny!!!!!

My fiance and i cant stand kids and really dont want them. I was a only child and i think thats the reason i am so un-natural with them. I just go stiff and feel uncomfortable not knowing what to do lol. This is how my mum was and hates kids lol, but she did well with me.
We have had alot of people say "when your 30 youll want them because its getting late to start" but ive said i dont want kids all my life and im 24 now, settled and still dont want them. My dog is my baby boy and i would have him over a baby any day!

Lol I am same as you only child get uncomfortable around kids the I had my boy now I am still uncomfortable around kids except my own lol mind you he keeps me company being a single mom lol.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Having thought about it, while I can't understand the need to have children, the obsession with babies, etc, etc, etc, I suppose I can empathise. I'd walk a long mile in tight shoes to see a kitten or puppy, would stand a sleepless night to care for a newborn fur baby, and just love having a new fur baby in the house - the smell of baby fur and the feel of baby paws on my face just makes me melt.
Do you think you might have been a 4 legged feline/canine in a former life? :wink2: :hug:

I also have had people say you cannot be complete or a real woman without a child. I put this down to them being jealous of my ability to sneeze, cough and do star jumps in a carefree way. ahem.
Dawn, this totally cracked me up... envious.com!.. and let us not talk about running or shouting either LOL

Do you think you might have been a 4 legged feline/canine in a former life? :wink2: :hug:

Probably. Preferably feline, and in Egypt where I could have been properly appreciated.

Probably. Preferably feline, and in Egypt where I could have been properly appreciated.

Wish there was a like button here :)

This is just too funny.

I was always awkward with babies and children, once going to shake a two year olds hand when meeting them, in a very formal way... yes, really!

I have since had my son, and I didn't try to shake his hand on introduction! :)

OMG....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion BUT this conversation has just totally put down children "kids" and herpes on about puppies and kittens!!!!
Sorry but there is no comparison!! I totally understand if you don't want children but for some people that is their life and the life they picked!! So I really don't think people should be moaning about there friends going on about their children, doesn't sound like your a great friend! If you are a good friend and don't wanna her babie stories then just say "I don't want to listen to this" !!
And before you all judge! I have a dog called honey she is my little angel, two cats who are lovely and then their is Freya she is my 18month old daughter and my life! I wouldn't change a thing!

My ex boss, doesn't have children and doesn't want them and when I told her I was pregnant she said "well that's your silly mistake" sorry but no one should have a right to make you feel bad about starting a family or bringing in a new life to the world, it's amazing! My boss made my pregnancy hell wasn't very understand etc and wanted me to still do full body massage at 8 months and she didn't have a clue! I didn't go back to work and she continues to slag me off and put my situation down but little does she know that having Freya was the most amazing thing I've ever done and I wouldn't change anything!

I'd like to add that I respect other people when they don't want children and its good you know that's what you want as some people have them and didn't really want them! You have to be selfless and its hard going I won't lie!
But please don't ever make anyone feel how my boss made me feel because she took away from my enjoyment and she had no right! She too loved dogs and said "dogs are allowed in the salon but didn't want children" yea it's her salon and she had a right but when three of your staff members has newborns it's a bit harsh!
I hope you all understand my view!

Thanks!
Rebecca x

OMG....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion BUT this conversation has just totally put down children "kids" and herpes on about puppies and kittens!!!!
Sorry but there is no comparison!! I totally understand if you don't want children but for some people that is their life and the life they picked!! So I really don't think people should be moaning about there friends going on about their children, doesn't sound like your a great friend! If you are a good friend and don't wanna her babie stories then just say "I don't want to listen to this" !!
And before you all judge! I have a dog called honey she is my little angel, two cats who are lovely and then their is Freya she is my 18month old daughter and my life! I wouldn't change a thing!

My ex boss, doesn't have children and doesn't want them and when I told her I was pregnant she said "well that's your silly mistake" sorry but no one should have a right to make you feel bad about starting a family or bringing in a new life to the world, it's amazing! My boss made my pregnancy hell wasn't very understand etc and wanted me to still do full body massage at 8 months and she didn't have a clue! I didn't go back to work and she continues to slag me off and put my situation down but little does she know that having Freya was the most amazing thing I've ever done and I wouldn't change anything!

I'd like to add that I respect other people when they don't want children and its good you know that's what you want as some people have them and didn't really want them! You have to be selfless and its hard going I won't lie!
But please don't ever make anyone feel how my boss made me feel because she took away from my enjoyment and she had no right! She too loved dogs and said "dogs are allowed in the salon but didn't want children" yea it's her salon and she had a right but when three of your staff members has newborns it's a bit harsh!

Thanks!
Rebecca x

I understand your view totally but that's your view which you're entitled to-I'm also entitled to my view. Not all people who don't want or like kids are evil like you're boss was to you. I agree that was totally out of order. My initial point was, at the moment, my friends don't seem to be able to have a decent conversations with me these days and it's getting annoying. I'm sure your child and theirs are the most amazing things ever but for me it's like talking about football all day....it's a yawn fest! One thing I do agree with your boss on is no kids in the salon, but I wouldn't allow dogs either. And actually, I am a good friend and I'd never be horrible enough to say to my friends that I didn't want to hear their stories because friends listen to friends. I just needed a vent and to know I wasn't alone in feeling this way.

Enjoy your baby and I'll enjoy not having one. PGx

OMG....

Thanks!
Rebecca x

I kind of half expected an angree post like that to come up on this thread :-/ somehow i didnt see anyone write anything of the sort in the threads ABOUT kids. People are just voicing their opinions, they have a right to do that. No one intended to hurt or insult anyone, well, definitely not me.

Would you say to your froend to shut up if she was telling you about her problems/concerns/worries? Even if its to with her kitten/puppy?

Latest posts

Back