Any teachers here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveAnne

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice...I'm in my late 20's and have been hairdressing for 10 years. I qualified level 3 through college (some time ago now) and actually really enjoyed it and found it beneficial.

I now manage a salon in the heart of a city, it's corporate it's extremely hard work and I have no freedom. I'm on a good salary but feel somewhat trapped (salon is open 7 days a week 8am - 8pm).

I'd love to go in to teaching. I know it's challenging, hard work etc etc but I've thought about it for years and it's definitely the direction I want to go in.

Does anyone know where I begin?!! Any suggestions are welcomed :) x

Teaching hairdressing or general teaching - primary/secondary?

You need to get 2 qualifications an assessors award to verify NVQS and a teaching qualification that was called a PDCE when I did it. I think now it's PTTLS and it's over 2 years at a college via a University I think it's £6000

You will need to get some volunteered hours in a college or teaching setting. X

Where would you do the assessing course? I'm assuming it would be the CAVA...

Are you a teacher currently? X

Your best path would be to contact the hairdressing curriculum co ordinator at your local college and see if they need lecturers/ assessors.
You will need to do your ptlls (no teaching hours required) followed by further courses (which need hours) to get you eventually cert Ed qualified.
Your assessor award is a completely separate thing and you can only complete this once you have access to vrq / nvq learners that are being assessed for their course.

That is serious hours, would you not try to do 5 days a week instead? cut your hours maybe until you look into teaching more. Lifes to short!!

Latest posts

Back