Anyone else get anxiety about going to the gym?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
I have decided I want to go to the gym, and even the prospect of joining up fills me with terror. I am by no means overweight, I weigh 9st and am 5'4" but I have not really been to a gym before and I have been to look at a couple in the area but I get so intimidated every time I am in there and am too afraid to ask anyone for help or advice :-/

I just need to get over it and go on a regular but going alone is my main fear, and none of my family and friends really want to go with me...I have just about asked everyone I know! I want to go for fitness as I am terribly unfit and just somewhere to go when I am bored really! anyone got any comforting/funny stories they can share so I don't feel alone hehe :)

The first time I went I was scared, don't be afraid to ask staff members for help that's what they're there for! No-one is interested in what your doing anyway :) the first time I tried the rowing machine I was at it for ages then a man came over and said 'excuse me but you haven't got the machine on properly yet' so always check that too [emoji85]

The first time I went I was scared, don't be afraid to ask staff members for help that's what they're there for! No-one is interested in what your doing anyway :) the first time I tried the rowing machine I was at it for ages then a man came over and said 'excuse me but you haven't got the machine on properly yet' so always check that too [emoji85]

aww thank you, god that's my worst fear doing something wrong and someone pointing it out that I'm doing it wrong, not very good at taking criticism :( xx

You will never regret looking after yourself ;)

Go and book an induction. They'll help you write an exercise plan and show you how to use the machines.

An induction usually comes with the membership so someone will take you around and show you how to start the cardio machines and how to use the weight machines.

I was nervous too at first but I plug in my ipod and everyone else drifts away. I work harder with it in too.

Don't worry, the majority of people are too focused on their own thing to notice anyone else x

I hate going to the gym, it's not because I am nervous, it's because, like you I am not overweight and have no real motivation and it is easy to he lazy or make excuses.

I found classes much more fun, there is a group camaraderie and if you get it wrong everyone has been there at some point. Because they are more fun I was always much more motivated and would look forward to them.

Find what is good for you, then you are much more likely to stick to it.

I did try a local gym near me that had a swimming pool and classes too and was so excited at the prospect of going there regularly as there was so much variety but then I had an induction and a few PT sessions and the PT was horrible. He didn't turn up on a couple of occasions and I was just on the treadmill like a wally as I didn't know what else to use. He commented on how much my arms clicked (something I am a bit para about and I've been to the doctors about), he made me lift more weight than what I could and was mocking me because I couldn't lift it and my arms were shaking like mad (I've not really been gym before and he was getting me to lift 18kg on each arm machine). So he has knocked my confidence massively! I've complained about him and since left that gym. I have an induction at another gym near me tomorrow night and to say I'm pooping myself would be an understatement! my sister's hubby has caved and joined up with me too so at least i'll have someone there I know, that I can go to if I'm stuck...makes me feel a little better!

Latest posts

Back