Anyone else struggle to fill daytime slots?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach Dilks

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm really struggling to fill the daytime slots up in my diary. I have plenty of evening clients, but would love to fill those slots up in the daytime when my daughter is at school. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Hi everyone, I'm really struggling to fill the daytime slots up in my diary. I have plenty of evening clients, but would love to fill those slots up in the daytime when my daughter is at school. Does anyone else struggle with this?
I think most people do, try and find clients that work weekends and have days off in the week or do shift work and are available in the day time, we are lucky being close to a hospital so we get lots of nurses etc on their days off or straight after a night shift, just try and have a think who you can target in your area xxx

I'm the same .. Try targeting the mummy's at the school who don't work. Offer them a free blow dry with a colour it worked for me (but I could def be busier during the day )

I'm the same .. Try targeting the mummy's at the school who don't work. Offer them a free blow dry with a colour it worked for me (but I could def be busier during the day )
Exactly I'm trying to target mums who don't work, trying to put together some packages for the daytime ie get gel polish toes for only £10 with every gel or acrylic service things like that.

My day times are busier than evenings.
The people that are around in the daytime in my area are middle aged part time workers and retired folk and mostly these are my day clients.
I find young mummies are often strapped for cash with littlies and maybe less/no income for themselves.
older people often have more disposable income, they're very reliable and good time keepers and can keep coming through a recession which can hold you up enough to ride it through.
Have you thought of targeting them?

Most of my clients are ladies (40+) with disposable income and some free time. Most of them either work part time, get involved in community activities or look after grandchildren after school.
As Blossom says, they're very reliable appointment wise (book next appointment with you before you leave) and they're very loyal customers. I also find they're great for advertising your services by word of mouth too.

Offer free treatments as charity raffle prizes for a couple of day time groups (use your local library to find out what groups meet where and when) and see how it goes.

In my experience, young mums (unless they have nannies) rarely have enough free time or cash for regular treatments. All clients are valued obviously, but they're not my target market.

I've been doing this for over a decade now and agree with Blossom & AcidPerm. The 40+ are the age group you want to target. Mums generally are strapped for cash as all their money & free time goes on kids clubs, clothes etc.

I find me evening appointments are filled quite well in advance so I now start at 11am as I'm working such long days (saying that I am up from 6am with my toddler anyway) x

My day times are busier than evenings.
The people that are around in the daytime in my area are middle aged part time workers and retired folk and mostly these are my day clients.
I find young mummies are often strapped for cash with littlies and maybe less/no income for themselves.
older people often have more disposable income, they're very reliable and good time keepers and can keep coming through a recession which can hold you up enough to ride it through.
Have you thought of targeting them?
Why didn't I think of this ??? Brilliant !!

To the OP, what are your opening times? I know this sounds a bit sneaky but perhaps start a bit later and create a demand for filling in the earlier time slots, it suggests that you're booked up and can only squeeze them in at the specific time slots? It does work wonders and you'll find people will take whatever appointment (a bit like the drs surgery reluctantly!) then when they arrive, you say how it was such a great time and rebook them in same time. Try this!!! ;)

I am busy day times and yes over 40 part timers are the ones to target , evening and weekends are the full timers x

thank you all for your advice I will defiantly work towards this. I work part time Monday- Wednesday 9:30am-2:30pm. My opening hours are
Monday 3-8pm
Tuesday 3-8pm
Wednesday 3-8pm
Thursday 9am-8pm
Friday 9am-6pm
Saturday 10am-5pm

This is an interesting thread, how do you target those 40+? Where's the best place to advertise to appeal to those clients?

I've just started up mobile and as I am still working in my regular job at the moment I can only offer evenings and weekends. Most clients seem to be ok with this and prefer it. However, my dream is that I will eventually be able to reduce my hours or ideally pack in my job altogether but it is a worry that people will only want evenings and weekends. x

I've just started up mobile and as I am still working in my regular job at the moment I can only offer evenings and weekends. Most clients seem to be ok with this and prefer it. However, my dream is that I will eventually be able to reduce my hours or ideally pack in my job altogether but it is a worry that people will only want evenings and weekends. x
I don't mind doing one or two late evenings ie until 8pm, however I would like the rest of my days to finish at 6pm latest (just like a normal job)

To launch the day time market, you could try a few special offers, but only valid between 9 & 3 for example for short periods.
I mainly work Monday to Friday during the day and my prices are quite high, which seems to attract the more mature day time clients, who are incredibly loyal.
You could try leaving some cards at golf/tennis clubs, Pilates/yoga classes, restaurants/tea shops, boutiques etc who attract day time customers.

I don't mind doing one or two late evenings ie until 8pm, however I would like the rest of my days to finish at 6pm latest (just like a normal job)
It's so easy in this business to not have set hours and end up working late every night , I so hate turning work away but you have to draw a line somewhere . On my late nights I now start later and try to stick at two , max 3 , we have to have a life. I don't advertise at all and found best way to get more clients is to target the ones you already have , tell them that you are now able to take on new clients , maybe introduce a loyalty scheme , introduce a friend and get a percentage off , good luck x

To launch the day time market, you could try a few special offers, but only valid between 9 & 3 for example for short periods.
I mainly work Monday to Friday during the day and my prices are quite high, which seems to attract the more mature day time clients, who are incredibly loyal.
You could try leaving some cards at golf/tennis clubs, Pilates/yoga classes, restaurants/tea shops, boutiques etc who attract day time customers.

Good ideas there

You could also run a 'bring your mum/gran for half price' or whatever as a way in for 40+

indeed a lot of my clients are 60+ so for them I would target book clubs, rambling clubs, health clubs, the WI, community centres and the like

Ask older relatives where they go/visit/hang out near you.

Your potential clients are everywhere!

I love this! I'm gonna go ask my nan-in-law where she hangs out! Haha!
It has made me think about where I can leave flyers etc though, :)

looks like I have lots to do tomorrow. Thanks lovely geeks. keep them coming xx

Loving the ideas on here! Making notes of things to do!

Latest posts

Back