Anyone had an epidural?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
Am going in the morning to be induced.. and have now turned into a big wimp :Scared:

Am thinking of asking for an epidural, as I don't want to feel the pain and I don't want to be smashed on Peth and Gas and Air!

Anyone had one?

I had one for a c-section - no problems for me.

Yea, ive had one as a mobile epidural so i could walk around while in labour, and 2 complete spinal blocks for c sections, they were ok, its not pleasant having the tube inserterd but you dont feel anything at all....they usually allow it to wear off a bit when you are ready to push so you can feel the contractions yourself, but if not they will tell you when to push. I had no side effects either, and it was great being awake during the c sections (although a bit wierd!):Love:

I had one and too be honest, it did nothing for me, could still feel everything.

The doctor also let some of the cerebruspinal fluid leak out which meant I was in agony. I had the worst constant migraine for 2 weeks that I physically couldn't lift my head.

In the end, they had to draw blood from me and inject it into my spine to make up for the fluid loss.

Marlise

Am going in the morning to be induced.. and have now turned into a big wimp :Scared:

Am thinking of asking for an epidural, as I don't want to feel the pain and I don't want to be smashed on Peth and Gas and Air!

Anyone had one?

i had a part epidurel when i had my son, it was dont so i could get some rest after a 22 hour labour, it did work, felt wierd, my so was emergency c- section in the end

my sister also had a epidurel in august when she had her hystorectomy, she was wide awake and chatting freely to her husband, she said she felt nothing

good luck for tomarow, im sure you will be fine and holding that baby in no time:D

i had a block thingy for c section so no epidural but just wanted to wish you the best for tomorrow

I had one when I had Rachel. It was the first time I gave birth without being out of my head on the other drugs.
It was fine.

Hope all goes well tomorrow hunxx wow
yep I had one with Oscar, didn't want one but glad of it in the end x
I was OK and didn't have any side effects at all, when it came to push I could still feel 'it' but no pain very strange, I didn't want pethidine or gas as I wanted to remember the birth. If I was to have another baby I'd have one again (just sooner !)

sending lots of love and good wishes for tomorrow xxxx

Yes I had one in the end......best thing I have ever done in my whole life!
I am very scared of needles and said no matter what I don't want an epidural but because of complications I had to go the medical unit ( I think I have told you all this before though babe) and thought I am is so much pain I want one. Fabulous, I almost kissed the anesthtatist!

Don't worry, you will be fine.

Good luck hun, will be thinking of you.:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: (hug for each of you!)
xxxxxx

i had one with joshua dont be a martyr chick they wont thank you for it
i was in agony before the epidural when he came to give it me i told the bloke i loved him and he was my best mate cos he had taken the pain away
:p
good luck hope all goes well for you
Debbie x

sorry can,t help you here hun.. i have a needle phobia so cant have one or even see one.. i did it all on gas and air..

Thinking of you for tomorrow hun.. ooohhhh i,m gonna be another geek auntie soon..:Love::Love::Love:

I have had two epidurals. Both of my children were induced.

Epidurals vary region to region and hospital to hospital, depending on the types of drugs permitted, and the hospital policies, what your own doctor prefers to do..... so our answers may not reflect what will be the case for you ALSO every woman's delivery is different, and no two the same, even for the same woman.
Add to that, if the technician does't get it just right........ it may not 'take'.

Here's an example.

I was induced for both.

My first.... well, I was hit with back labour and thought I was gonna break in half. I will not detail that delivery until AFTER you've popped out your wee one as it'll spook the bejesus outta ya.
Let's just say that for me, round one of the epi with child no#1 did not help and that when I found out I was preggers with no#2.. I had a FIT... crying.. didn't want to do it again.:Scared: :biggrin:
2 days of labour... 4.3hrs of pushing..... awful stuff...

No#2
What a joke:rolleyes:
I never even felt any of my contractions, hardly. Not till right near the end. Even then, they were no worse than period cramps.. but having gone through what I did the first time.. I said 'yeah, give me the epi'
Well, the epi made me scratch and itch like a mad woman. I was thrashing about to scratch myself, so they turned it off.
No#2 popped out like a dream, no pain, didn't bother me at all. And that was without the epi, with it turned off!
Half a day of labour... only 4 pushes, not hours.. PUSHES. and whoops out she came.

Same hospital too! so same drugs and routine.. etc..

Sooooo this just goes to show you: we can tell you all kinds of stories... but.. in the end... your delivery will be unique.

Take a look at babycenter.com. I believe they even have a UK version of this site. It got me through my pregnancy and early baby years. tonnes of articles, tonnes of support. It's like the "nailgeek" of mommyhood.:D
The only site remotely comparable to nailgeek.

Hth's:D

PS: I remember with no#1, hearing a woman hollering down the hall...... she was scaring the hell outta me... and then another woman started screeching..... PLEASE take your drugs and don't scare the other mommies, we WILL hate you for it! haha
btw: I didn't screech or holler at all, just chanted to myself "get out get out get out" LOL

oohhh i said lots of swarded words.... and told my hubby he was never coming near me again.. with his bits lovinly in my hands.. lol;);) trust us anything you do or say will be filed to the back of your head when you have hold of your wee pink wrinkled bundle of joy... and i mean wrinkled in a real lovin way, cos both my kids were:wink2:..

You will be in all our hearts tomorrow babe..:Love::Love:

Not had one but wishing you all the best for tomorrow hun!!! Just think this time tomorrow you'll have a cute little bundle for xmas!! What a pressie!! It will all be worth it!! :)

i had an epidural with my first but joe ended up being a vantouse delivery as i didnt feel any pushing sensations, so i think there are pos and negs for it, i couldnt feel my legs until the next morning either.had nout with the other 2......

i had an epidural with my first but joe ended up being a vantouse delivery as i didnt feel any pushing sensations, so i think there are pos and negs for it, i couldnt feel my legs until the next morning either.had nout with the other 2......

This was the only thing, I couldn't feel to push either and ended up with a fawceps delivery.
My next (when it happens!) will be epidural too.

I had SPD while I was pregnant and was also induced. I wanted an epidural as I was in so much pain even before I began labour I was scared of even more pain.

In the end I did it on gas and air in 2.5 hours and they guy turned up to do the epidural as daughters head was crowning!!!!

I could have done it all again 10 mins after she was born, it was fantastic and gas and air is brill but make sure you have mouth piece to bite on not the mask as they smell funky!!!

wishing you all well and good luck, you will be fine, honestly!!!!

Rachel

Thanks everyone... I've been debating whether to actually go to the hospital and up until an hour ago I've had builders here doing work... bricks were being whizzed out last night so there was thick dust everywhere and have had no access to washing machine to get anything done - plus my itching (which had abated) came back big time last night and Cadence was awake screaming most of the night too.

Am sitting here in clean(er) environment but am now too knackered to move, and people keep ringing me up asking how I am and talking about baby stuff, which is doing my head in now!

Got to get up at 6 to get to hospital for 7:30 and can't believe that in the next day or so I'll have three babies!!

I had one when i had a section with my first child....felt cheated...i had a natural birth with my 2nd and 3rd.....i loved it. sounds odd but i did.

I would opt for natural birth everytime....you are in control and its such a great feeling...I found it all more tiring than actual pain....like a good work out at the gym.

My friend had a epidural with her first and said it complicated things cos she couldn't feel the urge to push and she felt like she had no control....she had just gas and air (which does take the edge off) for her 2nd and said it was 100 times better.

Its your choice hun, and giving birth is such am amazing experience, you'll be be fine whatever you choice to have...but i wouldn't set anything in stone just yet....go with an open mind and see how you feel at the time. Best of Luck xx

I had an epidural for my first and it turned me from a jibbering wreck into a normal human being in minutes, absolutely fab, why on earth did I not have them for the other 3 thinking about it???

Good luck for you for tomorrow and I hope it all goes well.

Latest posts

Back