Anyone have any tips on getting quicker putting foils in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joz99

Reaction score
Hello 😊 just wondered if anyone had tips for foiling?? Because I'm mobile and don't do foils maybe as regularly as I would in a salon I feel quite slow at it, I'm a bit of a perfectionist as well and I don't want to change that or cut corners but wondered if there was something in my technique that I could change or improve with same result...my technique at the moment is to get my sections sorted, then I usually start at the nape and back then sides and top, I take a section, then half it and weave or slice I then fold foil round pin tail and use my comb to put foil in place, then fold foil once in half and then in at each side....x any tips appreciated 👍😊 x

Make sure ur sections are neat ,
twist and clip each section . Hair dangling around will make ur job a lot harder xx

Hello 😊 just wondered if anyone had tips for foiling?? Because I'm mobile and don't do foils maybe as regularly as I would in a salon I feel quite slow at it, I'm a bit of a perfectionist as well and I don't want to change that or cut corners but wondered if there was something in my technique that I could change or improve with same result...my technique at the moment is to get my sections sorted, then I usually start at the nape and back then sides and top, I take a section, then half it and weave or slice I then fold foil round pin tail and use my comb to put foil in place, then fold foil once in half and then in at each side....x any tips appreciated 👍😊 x

Can I ask how long it takes you to do your highlights? I've just finished my fast track hairdressing course and at last count, it took me an hour to do consultation, mix colour and apply a t-section. I know it's slow to most people but I'd like to know what I should be aiming for!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm slow. I adjust my developer accordingly and try to be very neat. Practice using conditioner on anyone you can get to sit still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

How many foils do you put in for a full head? Also how do you section for your full head foils xx

If I'm only doing foils and no flooding I don't fold the edge of my foil I'll just paint the colour on and then fold the foil 3/4 of the way (leaving the root bit on show) then fold again and it all sticks together :)

Mix conditioner with baby powder and practice on someone or on your block.. Maybe time yourself each time

I'm slow. I adjust my developer accordingly and try to be very neat. Practice using conditioner on anyone you can get to sit still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I adjust my % as well according to time x

How many foils do you put in for a full head? Also how do you section for your full head foils xx

It depends what look client is going for but I generally put a lot in I feel. I sometimes take slightly larger sub sections at the nape but plenty through the top half. I take 3 sections across the back to back of ears, a section for the crown area, a section through the parting, (if client has a fringe I sometimes follow direction on the hair with a section at front) and 2 front side sections. Accept for the back I do diagonal sub sections for a more natural look...hope that makes sense x

The best way to get faster is doing them every day, if I haven't had a foil client for a few days I get a bit slower, but by the end of a day with 5 clients of full foils I can bung um in in half hour lol! Industry standard time is 1hour for a full head foil application, if spatching/flooding that's squeezed in quick as poss or left to a junior in a salon. If your not doing much I'd suggest the talc and conditioner and dolls head & do it again and again untill u get it under an hour. How long does it currently take you?

It depends what look client is going for but I generally put a lot in I feel. I sometimes take slightly larger sub sections at the nape but plenty through the top half. I take 3 sections across the back to back of ears, a section for the crown area, a section through the parting, (if client has a fringe I sometimes follow direction on the hair with a section at front) and 2 front side sections. Accept for the back I do diagonal sub sections for a more natural look...hope that makes sense x

It sounds like you're doing everything right, it's just speed! But as previously said the more you do the faster you get, could you not do some offers on Facebook or something to try and get a few more highlight clients? Xx

This week I did full head of foils hair was down to middle of her back, medium thickness and I'm embarrassed to say that she got to me at 9.30 and I didn't finish till 6pm...that included cut and finish (and collecting my little boy from nursery)...I remember having to get signed off on an hour and I did it then 10 years ago! It doesn't always take me that long depends alot on length and thickness!
Am def going to get my blockhead out and start practising and good idea for offers will consider that.
Feel frustrated by it because when it takes me that long I know I could have done several cut and finishes and earnt more probably x
Nice to know I'm on right track with my technique though... X
Thanks everyone x

It sounds like you are doing everything right you just need to pick up the speed. I would be quite quick at them but have worked with girls who struggle with speed. Definetly get the block out and set the timer. I'm currently doing some tutoring and use the timer as an incentive for the girls to be mindful of time and it works

Just want to point out that I didn't leave all the foils in for 4 hours I removed them when lightened to correct level! 😬😜 x

Latest posts

Back