Anyone who's mobile-would love your advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie13

Reaction score
Hello! I'm starting college in September to do my beauty level 2 and 3 then plan to do hairdressing as well so I can offer everything ill probably do some add on courses aswel for anything extra I want to do.

So my question is can you be successful just being mobile? Is it still something people want? I just had a moment of worry that ill do all this training and end up doing nothing with it! Im willing to put in the work to get a good client base and hope by offering hair and beauty ill have more of a wide range of services to offer clients.

Would love to hear from people that are doing mobile to put my mind at ease :)

<3 Stephanie <3

I'm still fairly new to being mobile (13 months) despite having qualified 12 years ago!
I quit my full time job last year, used my savings to buy stock/insurance/advertising etc, and went mobile.

The first 8-9 months were a nightmare, despite living, breathing and sleeping my little business, I was lucky to have 1 client a week. Money was tight, the kids had to start missing out on trips, new toys etc, and I felt really down - but still I plugged on!

And then, in the run up to Christmas, everything changed. Word started to spread, and the recommendations came flooding in!

Clients turned into regulars, and started adding more treatments, and recommending me to friends. My website reached good Google rankings and I get business through that and Facebook too.

Nowadays, I average 6-8 clients a week, and last week I had my first fully booked week!

There's still room for improvement, I would love to be fully booked every week, but I'm turning a decent profit, and I get to work around my family!

We are now no worse off financially, and certainly much better off emotionally! I could never imagine working for someone else again!

I am going to be opening my home salon next year, but will still do mobile too, but it will allow me to offer more evening and school holiday appointments.

It is do-able, you have to be 100% committed, and patient. Advertise everywhere, always give an outstanding service! Recommendations are defintly my biggest form of advertising, but this takes time, and relies on you ensuring every single client is left above happy with your service!

Good luck x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've been mobile for 2 and a half years now and I love it. Was a struggle at first getting my name out there and getting my skills up to scratch but I love it now and all my clients tell me how much they love the fact I'm mobile =) I have last week I had 20 clients (some having multiple treatments) and obviously there are quieter periods but I'm getting busier and busier towards summer =)
Hope this helps xx

I'm still fairly new to being mobile (13 months) despite having qualified 12 years ago!
I quit my full time job last year, used my savings to buy stock/insurance/advertising etc, and went mobile.

The first 8-9 months were a nightmare, despite living, breathing and sleeping my little business, I was lucky to have 1 client a week. Money was tight, the kids had to start missing out on trips, new toys etc, and I felt really down - but still I plugged on!

And then, in the run up to Christmas, everything changed. Word started to spread, and the recommendations came flooding in!

Clients turned into regulars, and started adding more treatments, and recommending me to friends. My website reached good Google rankings and I get business through that and Facebook too.

Nowadays, I average 6-8 clients a week, and last week I had my first fully booked week!

There's still room for improvement, I would love to be fully booked every week, but I'm turning a decent profit, and I get to work around my family!

We are now no worse off financially, and certainly much better off emotionally! I could never imagine working for someone else again!

I am going to be opening my home salon next year, but will still do mobile too, but it will allow me to offer more evening and school holiday appointments.

It is do-able, you have to be 100% committed, and patient. Advertise everywhere, always give an outstanding service! Recommendations are defintly my biggest form of advertising, but this takes time, and relies on you ensuring every single client is left above happy with your service!

Good luck x

Thanks for your reply glad to hear it's going well :) can I ask what your most and least popular treatments are and is there anything thats just not suitable to offer when your mobile? X

<3 Stephanie <3

I started retraining 4 years ago whilst in a dull office job. Started mobile eves and weekends, went to part time hours 2 years ago and last October quit my job to run my mobile business full time. I work 6 days a week, 3 late nights. I could work 7 days and at least 5 nights! I average 30 clients a week over half of whom are regulars.

So in answer to your question yes, it is possible to sustain your business mobile but it took me a long hard slog!!

Ah fab thank you guys glad to know its possible :)

<3 Stephanie <3

I'm mobile too! Have been for 3 years and have found it very successful. Most weeks I'm fully booked, I was working 80 hours a week but have recently cut down to 60 hours a week, I now only work 4 days a week 8am-11.30pm. People always say "who would want treatments that late" but my 8pm-11.30pm appointments go quickest my late evening appointments are now fully booked until the 17th July.
The first year was hard and I was at a £2900 loss, can't complain, was quite happy with that after all my equipment, products and course costs! 2nd year was better but was still spending a lot on new things, 3rd year was fab, still room for improvement and it's bloody hard work to say the least but if you put in the graft and live an breathe the business and NEVER give up you can be very successful with it! I always keep Lynn's wise words of 'will it make the boat go faster' in my head... Probably the best advice I've been given with regards to buying things, it always makes me stop an think before I jump into something! Her 101 ways to promote your business thread is also excellent with lots of great advice on how to get your name out there, well worth a read! Best of luck with your new venture, I'm sure you'll do fab! Xxxxx

Thanks for your reply glad to hear it's going well :) can I ask what your most and least popular treatments are and is there anything thats just not suitable to offer when your mobile? X

<3 Stephanie <3

Spray tans, gel polish, waxing and luxury pedicures are my most popular treatments. I offer a fair few holistic treatments too but massage is my only popular one.

I dropped facials after Christmas as I had only had 2 clients! I think its more of a spa treatment! I do still offer a mini facial as an add-on treatment, and its popular with massage clients.

I don't offer make up as I have never felt confident, although I often think I'm missing out on brides etc, but hey-ho, you can't have them all!

Spray tans, gel polish, waxing and luxury pedicures are my most popular treatments. I offer a fair few holistic treatments too but massage is my only popular one.

I dropped facials after Christmas as I had only had 2 clients! I think its more of a spa treatment! I do still offer a mini facial as an add-on treatment, and its popular with massage clients.

I don't offer make up as I have never felt confident, although I often think I'm missing out on brides etc, but hey-ho, you can't have them all!

Thank you I plan on doing all of those definitely want to do spray tans :) I didn't think facials and things like that would be very popular I think id rather have a facial in a spa or salon than at home but obviously ill be learning it anyway :)

<3 Stephanie <3

I've been mobile for almost two years, and this year each month has been better than the last. I am only evenings and weekends at the moment, alongside a full time job, but I hope that will change next year.

My most popular treatments are massage followed by pedicures, I get a lot of repeat massage clients. I've just invested in a gel polish range, as I was getting more enquiries for it, so I hope that is successful too.

I also seem to be getting at least one pamper party a month, which is something to think about too.

The worst bit I find is not taking cancellations from previous clients personally, I always worry that it's something I've done. So try and stay out of that mind frame!

I've been mobile for almost two years, and this year each month has been better than the last. I am only evenings and weekends at the moment, alongside a full time job, but I hope that will change next year.

My most popular treatments are massage followed by pedicures, I get a lot of repeat massage clients. I've just invested in a gel polish range, as I was getting more enquiries for it, so I hope that is successful too.

I also seem to be getting at least one pamper party a month, which is something to think about too.

The worst bit I find is not taking cancellations from previous clients personally, I always worry that it's something I've done. So try and stay out of that mind frame!

Thank you what kind of pamper parties do you do? The kids pamper parties seem to be quite popular now x

<3 Stephanie <3

Both adult and children's.

The childrens are generally nail painting, which they love! For grown ups I have a choice of treatments at set prices, ie 20 minute treatments are £10 up to 60 minute treatments at £25. That way guests can choose exactly what they want, and they are discounted from my usual prices.

They are really popular, and it's bliss having an evenings work all in one place!

Both adult and children's.

The childrens are generally nail painting, which they love! For grown ups I have a choice of treatments at set prices, ie 20 minute treatments are £10 up to 60 minute treatments at £25. That way guests can choose exactly what they want, and they are discounted from my usual prices.

They are really popular, and it's bliss having an evenings work all in one place!

Sounds fab will definitely look into it thank you :)
<3 Stephanie <3

I started in October 12 whilst training in beauty (I was qualified in tanning) and I have put countless hours, blood, sweat, tears and given up quality time with my kids and am starting to become a success. I pay for a good website have a successful fb page and have lots of repeat clients and have even managed some celebrity work.

It is not easy in the beginning but stick at it. I've nearly given up so many times but am glad I stuck at it.

Good luck! xx

I started in October 12 whilst training in beauty (I was qualified in tanning) and I have put countless hours, blood, sweat, tears and given up quality time with my kids and am starting to become a success. I pay for a good website have a successful fb page and have lots of repeat clients and have even managed some celebrity work.

It is not easy in the beginning but stick at it. I've nearly given up so many times but am glad I stuck at it.

Good luck! xx

Wow thats fab well done! Thats kinda what I plan to do start it up as im training and then add more services as I do them great to know it can be a success if you put the work in :)

<3 Stephanie <3

Good luck! I am also starting up as a mobile therapist, I know it will be challenging but I'm excited for the future. Everyone's tips are so helpful thankyou x

Latest posts

Back