Applying tint to roots first then foil over top?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends what look I'm after as to what technique I use. If there is very little regrowth then I use the tint first method. But I do like the infill method better. I've built up quite a speed at doing the infill, but the foiling is what slows me down.

I foil and tint as I go along, I really don't get the tinting of roots rirst then foiling? Don't you get tint all over your tail comb and how do you get your foils colour to the root? Also the root tint will affect the outcome of the foil colour. Messy!!!!

I foil and tint as I go along, I really don't get the tinting of roots rirst then foiling? Don't you get tint all over your tail comb and how do you get your foils colour to the root? Also the root tint will affect the outcome of the foil colour. Messy!!!!

You would generally only use the tint first method if you are working with shades that are only 1-3.shades of difference. Usually darkest colours are In the foils. When you have been doing it for a while then you don't get yourself messy, (that's what gloves are for). We always put a protective covering on our colour trolleys and this is what we use to wipe our tail Comb on. Don't you use a tail comb to apply a full head colour anyway. The root colour has never effected my foils in 22 years of hairdressing.

You would generally only use the tint first method if you are working with shades that are only 1-3.shades of difference. Usually darkest colours are In the foils. When you have been doing it for a while then you don't get yourself messy, (that's what gloves are for). We always put a protective covering on our colour trolleys and this is what we use to wipe our tail Comb on. Don't you use a tail comb to apply a full head colour anyway. The root colour has never effected my foils in 22 years of hairdressing.

Err no, I use a normal comb to apply full head colour. The teeth are too tight on tail combs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Still doesn't sound right to me, and no I don't use a tail when doing a full head tint, I use something called a tint brush ;)

Still doesn't sound right to me, and no I don't use a tail when doing a full head tint, I use something called a tint brush ;)

This made me laugh lol I don't use a tail comb either x

We section with a tail tomb as well as using a tint brush😄 it's makes your sections neater. Obviously the tint brush is for pasting the tint not the comb which I thought was quite explanatory, but obviously not.

Err no, I use a normal comb to apply full head colour. The teeth are too tight on tail combs

I meant to section not to Combe through. To comb through we use a wide tooth detangler comb.

We section with a tail tomb as well as using a tint brush😄 it's makes your sections neater. Obviously the tint brush is for pasting the tint not the comb which I thought was quite explanatory, but obviously not.

It was a joke mate! I use end on tint brush for sectioning.

It was a joke mate! I use end on tint brush for sectioning.

It was taken as one. Have never applied tint and foils at the same time have you got any advice on how you would do it as I'm always willing to try new things. Do you put a foil in then take a section and apply to root the take another foil? 😄

It was taken as one. Have never applied tint and foils at the same time have you got any advice on how you would do it as I'm always willing to try new things. Do you put a foil in then take a section and apply to root the take another foil? 😄

No you apply root colour as normal and then apply foils straight after. I usually just take a top box section wide enough to cover the both sides of the parting and then just foil as usual. Its actually much easier because having the tint at the roots makes the hair easier to section. It also alleviates the problem of having root glow where the hi-lite has been placed. Obviously you cant use this practice on customers who are having hi lift tint as it would mean going over sections with bleach and 40 vol. Its just a very good way of applying foils and tint for customers with a large percentage of grey who like a few hi-lights to break the colour up a bit. And when you wash the colour off you rinse the foils and then emuslify with the colour as you wash and it tones and blends everything beautifully. It gives a better result as every grey is covered and saves a heck of alot of time as apposed to flooding,

No you apply root colour as normal and then apply foils straight after. I usually just take a top box section wide enough to cover the both sides of the parting and then just foil as usual. Its actually much easier because having the tint at the roots makes the hair easier to section. It also alleviates the problem of having root glow where the hi-lite has been placed. Obviously you cant use this practice on customers who are having hi lift tint as it would mean going over sections with bleach and 40 vol. Its just a very good way of applying foils and tint for customers with a large percentage of grey who like a few hi-lights to break the colour up a bit. And when you wash the colour off you rinse the foils and then emuslify with the colour as you wash and it tones and blends everything beautifully. It gives a better result as every grey is covered and saves a heck of alot of time as apposed to flooding,

I don't agree with you, if you ask me it's over processing, and sounds lengthy to me. How long is your root colour left on for?

Yeah, take your sections as normal when foiling, have root tint and foil colour mixed ready, take a fine section and weave, clip the top weave up out of the way, foils bottom weave with foil colour, close foil, pull down top weave and apply root tint to regrowth, this way you cover every strand of hair, my h quicker and tints are applied at the same time. If just foiling parting or top section do as above, lightly clip foils out of the way and apply root tint to all remaining hair, :)

Yeah, take your sections as normal when foiling, have root tint and foil colour mixed ready, take a fine section and weave, clip the top weave up out of the way, foils bottom weave with foil colour, close foil, pull down top weave and apply root tint to regrowth, this way you cover every strand of hair, my h quicker and tints are applied at the same time. If just foiling parting or top section do as above, lightly clip foils out of the way and apply root tint to all remaining hair, :)

*much

I paint color on my first section, take my next and place on foil, apply colour, fold foil, section next piece and apply tint root to tip, keep going and you have a full head foils with colour in between. No mess, no fuss and about 20 mins quicker then highlighting then going back in. If I am using bleach I do the same but apply the inbetween colour to the regrowth on the higglight.

Makes much more sense if you're highlighting with a low volume to foil and tint at he same time or foil then tint..... The tint has a set development time... Always prefer to use the gentlest formulas available!

Apply your foils first and then go straight back in with your tint application.. if you did it the other way and i was assessing you i would not pass your assessment as this is bad practice except... if you are using blond shades or any of the 12/ range

I would normally do my foils first and then apply the root colour in between...however I have been known to apply root colour and then do foils over the root tint (only if I am using bleach in the foils) and the only time I do this is if the client has very grey/white roots and I don't want to do the foils first and then they become too light. I have never had any patchy results and have never done it on a tint darker than a base 8.

Also, I would only do the foils over the tint if you are only doing a few random foils as it is harder to take clean sections.

If you are unsure though you are best to stick with what you know, always best to be on the safe side!

I thought tinting then foiling is always bad practice, you would get failed in college .. as this is called double processing . . why is it ok with highlifts?

I think the idea of tinting, then foiling is pure laziness, no other reason to do it, there's no precision in it atall, just shoddy guess work, I'd be mortified if someone did that to my hair!

Latest posts

Back