Apprentices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byKaty

Reaction score
Morning geeks☺
So I'm thinking of taking on an apprentice in September. Those of you who who have already taken on apprentices, how does it work? Did you interview them first or did you have to take whoever they sent you? Do you pay them or does college?

Tia x

I was an apprentice and the college told me to go to certain places where they were looking for them. You will have to interview them (should interview them anyway because they might be rubbish) then give them a trial period of a few weeks, then a 3 month contract if you're happy with them and then carry it on for 9 months or a year at a time. I have just finished my level 3 and am still there so they can be employed or self employed after the college course has finished etc. If you don't like who they have sent to you then don't take them. Also maybe put a poster in the window saying junior wanted and the college should also advertise it on the apprenticeship website :) hope you get someone soon! X

I was an apprentice and the college told me to go to certain places where they were looking for them. You will have to interview them (should interview them anyway because they might be rubbish) then give them a trial period of a few weeks, then a 3 month contract if you're happy with them and then carry it on for 9 months or a year at a time. I have just finished my level 3 and am still there so they can be employed or self employed after the college course has finished etc. If you don't like who they have sent to you then don't take them. Also maybe put a poster in the window saying junior wanted and the college should also advertise it on the apprenticeship website :) hope you get someone soon! X
Thanks for reply! Who pays them? Is it college or salon?

You have to pay them and you must employ them for a minimum of 30 hrs per week, however you may get a grant between £1500 - 3000 depending where you are to cover some of your costs but this might be going soon so check with your local training providers. Also if your eligible,the grant doesn't come through for a good few months!

You have to pay them and you must employ them for a minimum of 30 hrs per week, however you may get a grant between £1500 - 3000 depending where you are to cover some of your costs but this might be going soon so check with your local training providers. Also if your eligible,the grant doesn't come through for a good few months!

Cheers for replying! ☺ good to know! Might have to hold off for a bit then as I'm only in salon 3 days a week myself.

Latest posts

Back