Apprenticeship - do I charge models?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyej

Reaction score
Hello,

It's been a while since I last posted!
I have recently sent one of my nail tech girls on an apprenticeship for Beauty level 2. She's loving it but is feeling 100% confident in waxing, I had put a picture on Facebook and Instagram expressing that we were looking for models for 1/2 leg, underarm etc. and that there would be a £5 charge to cover the cost of products .
Is this something I should of done? A few people have messaged me to say it should be completely free?
Just stuck as to what to do because she needs clients to practice on as they have 3 hours practical at college a week which is not much at all but I can't afford to have people in an not charge them at all.

Thanks.X

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to charge the cost of products at all. Those that are complaining don’t have to come!

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to charge the cost of products at all. Those that are complaining don’t have to come!

I didn't think so...I desperately want her to do so well but have just been finding it so hard to get people in!

She might feel confident but are you confident in her ability?

I think when you charge a fee, even just product costs, there’s an expectation regarding the quality of the service. If she’s good at the basic technique but just a bit slow because she’s taking time to get it right, charging a minimal fee seems reasonable. You also need to explain to clients to allow X amount of time for the service.

However, if she’s causing excess pain or leaving hair behind because of poor technique that needs tweaking then in my opinion, you shouldn’t charge and you need to make it clear to clients that she’s still in training.

As a salon owner, you want to encourage new clients to try her out and hopefully, to re-book with her in the future and ultimately, for her to grow her column.

When training for my massage qualification we charged a nominal fee to cover cost of products, and the client had to sign a disclaimer to say they understood we had passed all our assessments but were not fully qualified yet. I think this was reasonable. The client got a £40+ treatment for about £8.

Latest posts

Back