Aqueous cream: yay or nay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faefae

Reaction score
I've read good and bad things about it; when my baby had dry skin the GP recommended it - I researched it and decided to use olive oil on him instead; but I myself use it sometimes and wanted to know what you skin professionals think please?
X

My nana always swore by e45 and that is what I give my clients for there dry bits before tanning :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

I think its yay and nay.It can be really good for some people and others find it either does no good at all or can even sting.Some people find its the only thing they can use to wash with.
Personally for my children I only ever used almond oils on them,keeping things simple but now they are adults my son has dry skin and my daughter eczema and both use various aqueous creams.

Hiya my eldest (3) had really dry skin and I was prescribed doublebase gel. It's more like a cream but worked wonders. Use it on my 1year old too and oh who suffers with severe dry skin on his legs and most prescribed creams didn't work and this works well. Ask your .gp they can prescribe it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

My son had dry skin and I found Centraben better than Aqueous.

I 2nd Double base love the stuff ;-) x

While I personally think it can soothe without aggravating, it doesn't actually do much, so won't really help repair or improve the skin on any level except very superficially, but if skin is particularly angry/itchy/aggravated it won't hurt. So like Gillian - yay and nay!

Doublebase gel is excellent but I wouldn't have used it on my babies I would always go for a natural alternative for as long as possible in the very young.

I have been told to use it to wash with in the shower by my Dr. I really like la Roche posay lipikar baume. It's great for dry skin and it sinks into the skin nicely as it contains shea butter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Thanks geeks for your replies; I will look up the recommended products x

My daughter has double base. She; like loads of children, is alergic to aqueos cream. The professor of dermatology at Queens Med in Notts said aqueus is only meant to be used in place of soap in the bath. Because its water based it can irritate many skin conditions and make them worse. As was the case with my daughter, with in a week of using it she was admitted to hospital looking like a burns victim

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

I would use aqueous cream to clean your baby with. It's great to use in the bath instead of a bubble bath or baby wash! Then after cleaning him with that it he bath then apply a cream like double base also Diprobase is good and oilatium cream. I would avoid E45 my doctor told me not to use that as its not as good as the above creams also the E45 lotion is horrid, burns my skin :(

I love all things natural so personally that would always be my first port of call and my favourite at the moment is organic coconut oil. It has so many benefits not just for skin but also for hair and is a good all rounder for health when taken internally too.

Looking at aqueous cream, it seems to be a possible irritant because it contains sls: http://www.eczema.org/drug-safety-update-for-aqueous-cream so I'd be inclined to avoid it.

My boys had eczema as babies, prescribed & tried so many products diprobase, doubebase, aqueous cream, balneum plus, eperderm, multitude of steroid creams& antihistamine and not forgetting Oilutum Cream & bath oil.

Finally broke the cycle using Eperderm and wet bandages at night time - not pleasent but did work to reduce the vicious cycle. Now apply home made creams using oilutum as a base. For 18 months now all repeat medication & creams except for the Oilutum have been removed.

If you can make your own, i found neem, avacado, coconut oil, glycerin and vitamin E oil extremely beneficial in the mix:)

My boys had eczema as babies, prescribed & tried so many products diprobase, doubebase, aqueous cream, balneum plus, eperderm, multitude of steroid creams& antihistamine and not forgetting Oilutum Cream & bath oil.

Finally broke the cycle using Eperderm and wet bandages at night time - not pleasent but did work to reduce the vicious cycle. Now apply home made creams using oilutum as a base. For 18 months now all repeat medication & creams except for the Oilutum have been removed.

If you can make your own, i found neem, avacado, coconut oil, glycerin and vitamin E oil extremely beneficial in the mix:)

My daughter had eperderm and bandages :( its horrid

My daughter had eperderm and bandages :( its horrid

Worked a treat though

Latest posts

Back