Are any of you assessors/work in a college?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melanie86

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm at a bit of a loose end. I left a salon previously because my job wasn't challenging enough any more and I wanted to do more training. I went mobile and gained some clients that way. Now I have been offered a job in a Spa where I will be doing hair and nails and it seems really nice, apart from the hours.

The last salon I worked at in between leaving the first one, I hated and didn't last much longer than a month, so I'm a bit scared that this one is also too good to be true and am frightened of giving up my mobile clients (as I won't have time in this new job), for me to decide I hate it and be left with nothing.

Anyway my question really is, in the long run I really want to work in a College and do Assessing. Would taking this job help me with getting a place in a College rather than being mobile? I'm aware that you need two candidates and I will struggle getting them mobile but as the Salon in the Spa is quite small they won't have any trainees either! So I'm not sure if it will benefit me at all? Or will they also look at experience in a Salon?

Sorry for the long thread...I'm just really confused about what to do. Thanks in advance for any replies :biggrin:

Hi Melanie,

In order to complete your assessors awards, you need access to 2 candidates who are currently signed up with a training provider, preferably the one with whom you are studying for your assessors awards.

You need to "open and close" 3 NVQ units between the 2 candidates, the rest is mostly written/theory work and lesson planning.

If your aim is to work in an FE college (16-18 year old government funded students), your next step would need to be Pttls, Cttls and then Dttls in order for you to be qualified to teach and meet the needs of the SFA.

The assessors awards enable you to "assess" vocational achievement.
The Pttls, Cttls and Dttls qualify you to teach/deliver the content you will be assessing.

Hope that helps.

Anyway my question really is, in the long run I really want to work in a College and do Assessing. Would taking this job help me with getting a place in a College rather than being mobile? I'm aware that you need two candidates and I will struggle getting them mobile but as the Salon in the Spa is quite small they won't have any trainees either! So I'm not sure if it will benefit me at all? Or will they also look at experience in a Salon?

Probably. A college would look for a wide range of experience, and having worked in a spa is valuable on your CV.

If you really want to do your A1 qual, go into a local FE college and talk to them about it. Nothing better than to make a start getting all the info.

Thank you both. I will pop into my local college and find out who I need to speak to and get some info. I thought that working in a Spa might look good on my C.V. too :biggrin: thanks x

Hi Melanie,

In order to complete your assessors awards, you need access to 2 candidates who are currently signed up with a training provider, preferably the one with whom you are studying for your assessors awards.

You need to "open and close" 3 NVQ units between the 2 candidates, the rest is mostly written/theory work and lesson planning.

If your aim is to work in an FE college (16-18 year old government funded students), your next step would need to be Pttls, Cttls and then Dttls in order for you to be qualified to teach and meet the needs of the SFA.

The assessors awards enable you to "assess" vocational achievement.
The Pttls, Cttls and Dttls qualify you to teach/deliver the content you will be assessing.

Hope that helps.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Do I need to do my pttls, cttls and dttls before I do the assessors award?

No, you don't, but you will probably need to do your PTTLS qual quite quickly after. You'll only need CTTLS if you want to train extensively or DTTLS if you want to teach.

Latest posts

Back