Are clients better behaved at a home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now send a FAQs info sheet out to new clients when they book me for mobile treatments which covers smoking, alcohol consumption, children and pets!

I understand and appreciate that It's people own homes that I go to however I feel I have the right to work in an environment that is:

Safe ie no drunks or druggies

Smoke free - I have ask clients politely to put them out or I'm going

Free from hazards - clients making sure pets or young are not in the same room if poss where the treatment is taking place Or smoking while I'm using chemicals

clients have always asked if they can bring children with them or not....i ask that if possible they didnt however if they think their children would behave for a quick treatment then i would allow them,

all my clients have been nothing but nice, some turn up late but then they dont get the full time allocated to treatment and i explain this even though i always book out longer for them paying and leaving so that i sone have to answer the door to one whilst another is still there! xx

I have had both good and bad experiences with clients. I find that they sometimes feel that I should be more flexible since I am a home salon and that they can therefore rock up 10/15 minutes late, but most of them are really good. I have one lady in particular who has been going to those nasty nail bars but now comes to me on a regular basis because she says that I have more variety for nail art. I guess that's a good thing but not when she says "can you mix this with this and see what it looks like? Oh and what does this one and that one look like? No I don't like that, can we just see what this one looks like with a bit of this in it??". She takes ALOT longer than normal, and that's just while she decides what she wants!!! Other than that, they are courteous and polite and I think that is because they are in your house and they respect that.

I guess it can go both ways, but I have mostly had good experiences so far, with only a few annoying ones every now and then!

Hi,

I am currently mobile part time, alongside my day job in an office. I am planning to convert a spare room in to a nail studio at the end of this year as I really want to do nails full time, but I'm not sure mobile full time is for me.

I find that because I'm in someone else's home that they feel they can do what they wish without thinking, for example having to sit and wait for half an hour while they finish there dinner or smoking in the house.

Geeks that have home salons, do you find that clients respect you more when they are in your home?

A resounding YES.

I was mobile for 2 years and found it very stressful so decided to work from home and what a good decision it was.

I think (some) clients totally take the p155 when they're in their own home, messing about with kids, dogs, elderly parents, answering the front door/telephone, letting dogs in and out, even eating sandwiches or a piece of cake with one hand while you're working on the other.

You are much more in control in your own home in my opinion. x

reading through this has been so informational i work from home but used to work in a salon
i got round the whole clients being rude and outstaying their welcome buy always having the other half in the house only issue ive had with that is they end up talking to him more than me (my nail table is in our sitting room)
i like the idea of sending a faq to clients cos im always worried when they have kids that they will just turn up with them

Hi there :) i have worked as a mobile technician for the past 6 years and I opened my home salon 4 weeks ago.

I also found clients were cheeky and pushed the boundaries with me when I was mobile. In some cases it was good where they would buy me a greggs and cakes for us to have a food break haha! In other ways bad for example cigarette breaks or on the phone to a friend and delaying your treatment.

Although it was hard telling them all I was no longer doing mobile... I have never looked back. My clients do seem to react and behave differently in the salon than they did before, and in all fairness I think I am probably stricter now ;-)

Good luck x

I have always had a salon at the back of my house but when I first started I did some mobile work. I stopped when I entered what can only be described at the worlds most disgusting home. The smell was so bad that I actually spent the first few minutes retching - this didn't seem to worry the client :confused:

When I got home I threw every item of my clothing in the washing machine, showered and washed my hair. I could still smell the smell. The client rang again a few weeks later and I just said I was no longer doing mobile. She then told me that she had booked a beautician to do all her waxing at home before she went on holiday. Poor beautician, if I'd had known who she was I would have phoned and told her not to go. At least I only had to touch the hands:lol:

I now only work from my home salon. Appointments are on the hour virtually every hour and I do not find that clients take the mick. If they arrive more than 10 minutes late I do not perform the treatment because I will not have the next client waiting. I charge for no shows or late cancellations (under 12 hours). Clients never outstay their welcome because there will always be another walking in.

Occasionally someone will bring in a child, I ask that drinks, sweets etc. are not given to them because of my fabric furniture. If the kids start touching I give them my well practiced "You dare" look. It worked well on my own children and seems to work on other peoples!

The only thing that bugs me is the phone calls and text messages that start "Sorry to trouble you on your day off .......". So don't ring or text on those days then :mad::mad::mad:

I have my first mobile appointment on Wednesday, reading all this is unnerving me slightly :-(

:confused:A bit off the topic but I am interested in opening a home salon but just wondered do you have to let the council know because of rates and what about electricity - how do you separate it if it is commercial and not domestic? Just interested.

You need to contact your local council to ask them and then you need to watch the helpful Webinars that HMRC put on that will help you understand your expenses and how to account for them if you choose to not have an accountant.

Thanks very much - I shall do that ;)

Latest posts

Back