Are my tips too wide?... fan nails?.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdskora

Reaction score
I seem to have problems getting my side walls nice and straight and slender.:confused:..
I have read the tutorials and have "nailclass" at home... problem is when it is just a tip and i have blended they look great.. then i add my product and some how they go fanned.... if i try and get them back to a nice shape i end up with no white powder on the tip and it is back to plastic?.... It is frustrating me.:mad:

Should I try and make the tip smaller to start with?.. then when i add the product it wont be so bulky...

thanks

I use CND retention + and CND powders...

Loving the opaque n/pink at the moment.

Should I try and make the tip smaller to start with?.. then when i add the product it wont be so bulky...
I would say no, the tip needs to be a perfect fit, applying a tip that's too small will result in problems later on.

Is the problem due to you using too much product?

Hi Sandi,
I am keeping my product down to a min ( well i think i am).. possibley I am not thinning out the tip enough in the first place.. how do i keep the side walls not "hippy" at the smile line when I have to add product there to cover the clear tip?... at this sides.. hope that makes sense..
if I file the nail down at the hips.. i file back to bare plastic and it still looks wide...grr... I could just cry at the moment.. sorry for being so neg.. I am not normally like that.
X thanks for your help

you can taper the tip in slightly as you blend the tip allowing room for your product.

Thanks maybe that is it..... because when it is just a tip it is a perfect form... looks straight and beautiful.... thanks I will try that.

Could it be your filing techniques?
I use Youngs I formation and it really helped one of my girls here: File the sidewals razor sharp straight, turn the finger to the side if ness and file. then looking up the barrell of the nail file up and over leaving product at the peak of the stress area.

Does this make sense? I talk with my hands tho the important thing is to keep the shape of the nail natural

I have exactly the same problem, right down to the white disappearing! When I did my creative conversion Andrea, the tutor, said it was because I was using too large a tip and also because I wasnt angling my brush down enough over the free edge(this was making my white area too thin towards zone 2 so it was thinning down too quickly). Hope that helps!

I used to have this problem but after watching Tilly Ann do mine over and over again and doing my own now that she's left to live in Quatar I realise that I was using tips that were too big, even though they did look the right size to begin with.

You can always pinch in the sides aswell incase they seem a bit to broad towards the top.

You can always pinch in the sides aswell incase they seem a bit to broad towards the top.

This is not a great thing to do unless you are competing, as it can create long cracks unseen by your own eye, creating service breakdown later on, as well as trauma to the natural nail plate. :)

Best bet is to apply a nail that fits EXACTLY sidewall to sidewall, better to go slightly bigger than smaller, and pre-tailor the tip to fit when you apply it to the nailplate. Remember when you apply a tip, that you apply it to be sort of your skeleton, and not for any strength to the finished enhancement. I thin the tip down to about 20% of what I want the total thickness of the finished enhancement to be, and apply the bulk of my product on the center, or apex area, and don't file much on my sidewalls, so I don't file my white away.

It's all a matter of practice, practice, practice, and getting that application down- sculpt with your brush, not your file-

Good luck!!!

Thanks to all that have replied... today I have noticed that i have a few slight cracks in the tip.. you can only see it from the underside.. the acrylic is not cracked... why would this have happened?

I used to have this problem. I found it was due to my application technique. I was pressing the bead in the centre and then brushing forward then I would do the sides of the bead, this would place most of the product at the sides making the nail look too wide. Now I press the bead down and do the sides of the bead first, then I brush foward the centre this leaves the side walls thin and the bulk of product in the centre. Hope this makes sense.

I think i understand.. dont you just wish we had a training night once a month we could go to.... when i am famous .. I will hold a "geek" training night once a month and help all the little geekette's with their problems....i will be about 60... but still lol

Thanks maybe that is it..... because when it is just a tip it is a perfect form... looks straight and beautiful.... thanks I will try that.

I used to find this, too! It might look perfect, but if I've had to pretailor a larger tip to fit an in-between nail, I pretty much always got fan nails when I was done, even after I toned down how much product I used. You know how you're supposed to hold the file STRAIGHT along the sidewall when finishing the nail? Try doing that with the tip before you add any product; that's solved this problem for me. (Saves a lot of time during filing, too!) hth :green:

Ok I will try holding my file straight at the sidewalls before applying any product.... did another set today and they were still alittle wide at the top...grrrrrrrr.....

Thanks to all that have replied... today I have noticed that i have a few slight cracks in the tip.. you can only see it from the underside.. the acrylic is not cracked... why would this have happened?

Did you get your primer or dehydrator on the tip?

This will make them crack, and your product will be solid.

I use q-tips to apply scrub fresh on the nail plate, just before application of whatever product I am using, so that i don't touch the ABS plastic :)

Hi

Regarding your flared tips, I always find that after I have applied and blended the tips, I have nice straight side walls, but when you apply your product, because it "wraps" the sidewalls (for want of a better term of phrase) it makes them hippy again ever so slightly. I find that a run down the sides with your 180 whilst blending eradicates the problem, and I never have any trouble with it filing the product away completely (if so I think that would be down to tip sizing and the tip itself flaring).

Latest posts

Back