Are wax rollers hygienic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMC

Reaction score
When you are rolling the cartridge head across the skin, is it touching the skin and rolling back into the cartridge to touch the rest of the wax = possible cross-contamination? How does one get around this?

I know you clean the heads between each client etc. But what is the point (of course there are lots of points, but you know) when the wax inside the cartridge is already (or getting) "contaminated".

I'm using regular/standard wax and also Pharo Sugaring wax because the wax is water soluble and easier to clean, but of course, the roller is still rolling back into the cartridge with both systems.

Not sure if I am explaining myself properly, I have googled everywhere and can't find an answer.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I'm in Australia and the council area I work within requires me to have a roller cartridge per client as they feel it is cross contamination (they liken it to double dipping) when used on multiple clients. I label each roller cartridge with the clients name, clean the roller head and store the roller cartridge in a zip lock bag with their name on it for their next appointment.

I understand totally what you mean.

You use a different head for each client, but as the roller turns, it takes dead skin etc to the inside of the cartridge, possibly contaminating the wax inside.

Yes, I have thought of this. I'm afraid I don't use rollers or tubes - good old spatula for me!

Sorry can't help, but totally know where you are coming from!

Vicki x

I do use a roller, I thought the rollers were designed to be more hygienic, if the wax is going into the skin I don't see how it can be going back into the cartridges, however saying that I only use them for large areas such as full legs & backs this way I use all or nearly all of the wax, (I use the small hive cartridges) then regardless how much is left the cartridge is thrown away. I do clean the roller head with wax cleaner and then sterilise before re-using.

Hello fellow Pharo user!

I am pondering the same dilemma. Especially as Pharo is all about using reusable spatulas and rollers. I have been washing and disinfecting but the more I think about it I don't think my council is going to approve when they come to do their inspection. I am looking at reverting to regular wax again so disposable sticks and regular cartridges. That said when I was working in regular salons I've never had council comment/question whether I kept rollers to one client only. And as far as i'm aware Queensland still allows straining and reusing of hot wax!

I know the Lycon rep when I was at college said the practicalities of bacteria surviving in hot wax nil to none to which our tutors shrieked in horror but they are Queensland based...

I always wear gloves, except for facial waxing, and wouldn't double dip a spatula, but have always used a roller on more than one client till I started using Pharo so I do put a clean roller head on for each client for sugaring. Definitely double standards, but I guess you just need to check with your local council (and insurer) for what their standards are and make sure you meet those, at least then your covered if there was ever a come back from a client. Good luck x

When you are rolling the cartridge head across the skin, is it touching the skin and rolling back into the cartridge to touch the rest of the wax = possible cross-contamination? How does one get around this?

I know you clean the heads between each client etc. But what is the point (of course there are lots of points, but you know) when the wax inside the cartridge is already (or getting) "contaminated".

I'm using regular/standard wax and also Pharo Sugaring wax because the wax is water soluble and easier to clean, but of course, the roller is still rolling back into the cartridge with both systems.

Not sure if I am explaining myself properly, I have googled everywhere and can't find an answer.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I use to use clean and easy roller wax and my understanding of it was the actual roller itself doesn't come into contact with the skin, you get the wax to roll around the roller first ( on a clean strip) apply to the area so only the wax goes on the skin, the wax still on the roller doesn't go back into the cartridge, you use some cleaner on some fabric strip to cleanse the remaining wax off the roller, it then can be changed and sterilised,
They are apparently designed so the used wax doesn't get back into the cartridge that's the idea of it being 'clean' I found it a very clean method but difficult to regulate the temperature. I must give it another go really x

I use to use clean and easy roller wax and my understanding of it was the actual roller itself doesn't come into contact with the skin, you get the wax to roll around the roller first ( on a clean strip) apply to the area so only the wax goes on the skin, the wax still on the roller doesn't go back into the cartridge, you use some cleaner on some fabric strip to cleanse the remaining wax off the roller, it then can be changed and sterilised, x

It is not possible to "sterilise" the roller head it would be ruined (melted) by the process of sterilising.

It is not possible to "sterilise" the roller head it would be ruined (melted) by the process of sterilising.

There are many 'cold' soaking options of adequately sterilising for plastic items that can't be autoclaved.

There are many 'cold' soaking options of adequately sterilising for plastic items that can't be autoclaved.

I think you mean sanitise or disinfect. There was just recently a thread about the difference.

Last edited:
I use Sterex Sterisure which is a Sterilisation Fluid.

Latest posts

Back