Arthritis and gel polish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiana123

Reaction score
Hi i have a client who realllly loves the way gel polish works , she has had it once but we had a reallly tough time getting it off due to her arthritis and other problems. This leads her to have reallly painfull finger tips , so i wasnt able to scrape it all off ,
I explained when i out this on that that was going to be how it gets taken off but she didnt realise how painfull it would be for her.
The way i did it was soak pads with acetone and cover in foil , to then be scraped off after .
Does anyone know any alternatives i could do where i preferably dont have to put any preasure onto her nails what so ever!

Could you soak the nails a bit longer so you don't have to scrape that much? Would it be possible to buff the top coat down before soaking maybe, to take a bit off this way instead, if buffing hurts less?

I'm not sure what you use, but hybrid polishes are usually kinder you remove, if you would be open to try different products.

More often than not, my gel polish pops off in 1 sheet or pieces.
Can you soak for longer?
I use little pieces of foam instead of cotton. I find it holds more acetone.

Could you soak the nails a bit longer so you don't have to scrape that much? Would it be possible to buff the top coat down before soaking maybe, to take a bit off this way instead, if buffing hurts less?

I'm not sure what you use, but hybrid polishes are usually kinder you remove, if you would be open to try different products.
I cant buff on them either as she said this hurts her too , its on of them things where sometimes it hurts more than others but theres no telling how much till i do it,

More often than not, my gel polish pops off in 1 sheet or pieces.
Can you soak for longer?
I use little pieces of foam instead of cotton. I find it holds more acetone.
I tryed soaking for a long time the first time round but becuase of the pain she experiences i was able to put the wrap around her finger tight enough for it to do anything usefull , if that makes sense

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221776152862

I use these. They are fantastic. They are reusable & so much easier than foil.

I also use little pieces of foam instead of cotton. It holds more acetone, no stringy bits & reusable.

Maybe something like this could work.

Rather than wraps what about using a soak off bowl?

Rather than wraps what about using a soak off bowl?
This may work, this would be the same process as taking off falsr nails right?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221776152862

I use these. They are fantastic. They are reusable & so much easier than foil.

I also use little pieces of foam instead of cotton. It holds more acetone, no stringy bits & reusable.

Maybe something like this could work.
Ohh i do have some of these but never thought to use them as she has larger fingers so im not sure if they will fit

Hi i have a client who realllly loves the way gel polish works , she has had it once but we had a reallly tough time getting it off due to her arthritis and other problems. This leads her to have reallly painfull finger tips , so i wasnt able to scrape it all off ,
I explained when i out this on that that was going to be how it gets taken off but she didnt realise how painfull it would be for her.
The way i did it was soak pads with acetone and cover in foil , to then be scraped off after .
Does anyone know any alternatives i could do where i preferably dont have to put any preasure onto her nails what so ever!
I use a heat pad with it which really helps

When I put the wraps on, I place hands in heated mitts. This seems to take the gel off quicker and doesn't leave much for me to scrape off x

I use a heat pad with it which really helps

This was going to be my suggestion too. I use a microwavable wheatie, the heat helps speed up the process and should help with the pain. I suspect the acetone being cold is not helping her pain levels. I'd wrap in foils, it doesn't need to be tight to be sealed well, then put her hands under the wheatie for 7/8 minutes then try removal. Don't leave her fingers too long (whichever way you do it) as once the acetone evapourates the gel polish will re-harden anyway.

When I put the wraps on, I place hands in heated mitts. This seems to take the gel off quicker and doesn't leave much for me to scrape off x
Ohh okay then i will give this a try and see if it helps:)!

This was going to be my suggestion too. I use a microwavable wheatie, the heat helps speed up the process and should help with the pain. I suspect the acetone being cold is not helping her pain levels. I'd wrap in foils, it doesn't need to be tight to be sealed well, then put her hands under the wheatie for 7/8 minutes then try removal. Don't leave her fingers too long (whichever way you do it) as once the acetone evapourates the gel polish will re-harden anyway.
Ohh okay then i didnt realise it evaporates and re hardens , i will give this heated method a try

Ohh okay then i didnt realise it evaporates and re hardens , i will give this heated method a try

This is why lots of newbie techs struggled this summer with removal, the hot weather we had made the acetone evaporate quicker so the product was re-hardening within the normal soaking timeframe. Now its colder it will take longer to remove again so it's worth adding a heat source. It doesn't need to be hot, just warm.

I'm sure you wouldn't but in case anyone is reading this and considering it.....please do not heat the acetone in a microwave....it will explode.

CND™ SHELLAC™ usually takes 5 to 10 mins to soak off and comes off easily.

This is why lots of newbie techs struggled this summer with removal, the hot weather we had made the acetone evaporate quicker so the product was re-hardening within the normal soaking timeframe. Now its colder it will take longer to remove again so it's worth adding a heat source. It doesn't need to be hot, just warm.

I'm sure you wouldn't but in case anyone is reading this and considering it.....please do not heat the acetone in a microwave....it will explode.
Well im defo going to try heating it up slightly with the heated mitts thank

CND™ SHELLAC™ usually takes 5 to 10 mins to soak off and comes off easily.
Oh really i use IBD and it does normally come of pretty easy is just i cant put any preasure on the nails what so ever

Latest posts

Back