Atkins Diet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Nails

Reaction score
I'm starting the Atkins Diet today and need a little inspiration as far as recipies go. The first two weeks are low carb weeks so any recipies high in protein would be excellent.

I personally would not recommend this diet as a long term solution(sp?) to weight loss. My husband tried it and after a few weeks was complaing of chest pains and feeling grottie on it. He came off and soon felt better.
I joined weight watchers as I knew I needed support to do it. Their diet it is basically healthy eating.
If you only need to lose a few pounds Atkins does work, but it does go back on just as quickly as well.

I know within the first few weeks the diet can be extreme. High in fats and proteins. But after this inital stage you are introducing more carbs with a varied amount of nutrients.

It has been blasted in the media, & it would be unhealthy if i were to stick to the initial high fats and proteins at the begining all the way through, but the increase in carbs and varied nutrients as the diet progresses makes it more stable. It is only in the first stages that are extreme. I would be concentrating more on increasing the protein intake than fats to be honest, as i would like to keep these to a minimum as much as i can.

I do normally eat a lot of carbs (more simple than complex) and this is what i really need to cut out.

the thing with Atkins is to make sure you're following it to the letter, my doctor approved the diet for me when I asked his advice.... I had great success when I did it previously and felt fabaroony, need to lose weight again but haven't got the willpower to stick to anything at the mo, although I have detoxed off the caffeine :D

my fave quick Atkins recipe was a chicken mayo salad, lots of different varieties of lettuces, chopped peppers, chopped onions, tomato, cucumber etc etc... but then i'm a salad lover :wink2:
or, how about a Spanish Tortilla? the eggs are 1 carb each so it'll be pretty easy to guage how many carbs the whole meal would be....
6 eggs
mix as if you're going to scramble them
tiny bit of Olive Oil in a non stick frying pan
pour egg mix in and stir as if scrambling the eggs
when the mix starts going 'lumpy' firmly pat it down so it covers the base of the pan and is level on top, leave it for a few seconds until the base is sealed, get a plate out, cover the pan, turn it over, tortilla should be on the plate :wink2: slide it back into the pan for a few seconds more, lift up the side with a spatula to check progress... once cooked serve in slices with side serving of your choice :D

the best thing about this is... you can have anything mixed in with the egg, fry off chopped bacon before adding the egg mixture, or onions, asparagus (unsure of carb content), anything you feel like adding, it's a very versatile recipe.

:hug: xxx

I can eat chicken until it comes out of my ears it's the eggs i get tired of...lol

How about tuna, how do you serve that?

in the first 2 weeks i had salads everyday lol... so i would serve tuna with mayo.... you could get some tuna steak in raw form and steam it or ovenbake it with butter, don't know how much it costs though.
i love eggs and didn't really get tired of them as there are so many different ways to cook them.

mamma said:
I'm starting the Atkins Diet today and need a little inspiration as far as recipies go. The first two weeks are low carb weeks so any recipies high in protein would be excellent.

Momma: Good luck with the Atkins!!! I lost 70 lbs doing it almost 2 years ago :lol: Try this link for some recipes http://www.atkins.com/recipes. They have awesome ideas. Also once you get past induction, try finding a pasta from DreamFields that only has 6ish grams of digestible carbs in it..and is very tasty..just like the "real" stuff. If you cannot find the pasta where you are message me and I will try and help you out. Again...best of luck!!

I did the Atkins last year (winter 05) and lost over 26 kilo within 6 months with no exercise! I came off the diet late last year (I still limit my carbs to a minimum but not as much as actually doing the diet strictly) and I can confirm that I have kept the weight off!

I tried low fat and detox diets, water diets you name it, I tried them without any success and it was Atkins and only Atkins that worked for me. The food was and still is satisfying, filling and never boring.

The sort of things I eat are:-
Roast beef
Any meat/fish
omlettes
Barbequed food
Any cheese
Salads,
Vegetables (under 10% carbs for the first part of the diet)
Olive oil
Wine
Diet coke
Tea & coffee
Brandy

If you would like some recipes and inspiration, email me direct and I will scan in some Greek recipes for you to enjoy!

All the best

Eva

Latest posts

Back