ATTENTION EMPLOYERS- taking on staff- advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexii

Reaction score
Hello all, just a bit of advice needed here.
I've been a self employed nail tech for 8 years renting in a salon. Business is good and I have the opportunity to take a second desk. :green: I've already decided the business is ready for an employee and am in the process of looking for the right person. Its all very exciting but a couple of things are bugging me :confused:
My questions are:
* How do I figure out a fair rate of pay? What is the going rate these days?
* Is there somewhere I can source a standard employment contract?
* What measures can I use to stop client poaching/working from home?
* How easy is it to deal with the extra accounting work? ie NI contributions/tax.

It's all boring stuff I know but I have to take someone on and I want to do it properly. Any advice will be appreciated
x

it really depends on their experience etc on the rate of pay, if you are seeking someone with experience you may find they will not take a low rate anyway, a good question for the interviews is what rate are they expecting and then you have to calculate if they are worth it

the business link website has standard contracts which you can customise to suit your requirements and print out

i also added a section stating that they cant work mobile within so many miles, contact details of the clients are confidential and clients can not be contacted without my permission, training cost to be repaid if they leave at short notice within a certain time of training, when they leave they cant work within area for a certain time period, that they may not promote their own or services of other professionals, salons to our clients without my permission, basically i make it clear in contract that clients are that of the salon and not theirs. (you cant stop clients following a therapist if they really want to but you need to make it clear they are your clients not the employee) of course all this is only relavant if you are employee them

you can also find info on paye and ni on business link and inland revenue website. the business link are very helpful in all areas of business

hi i work in a salon on a self employed basis

i pay the owner 60% of what i take she pays our ins

we pay our own tax ect
she provides all the products and pays the bills

we are a very busy salon so no need to fight over client either :)

hi i work in a salon on a self employed basis

i pay the owner 60% of what i take she pays our ins

we pay our own tax ect
she provides all the products and pays the bills

we are a very busy salon so no need to fight over client either :)

Just curious, what products do you use? and do you have to pay your own NI and tax and give her 60%?? x

Latest posts

Back