Average wage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missljw

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanting abit of advice really as to what I should expect as a wage. I've been working in salons for 2years, first renting a room which i left due to boyfriend moving jobs and now self employed again elsewhere. I am looking for an employed position as I want to get a mortgage but wondered what an average wage is for midlands area. A lot say dependant on experience, but how much of a difference does this make? Without sounding big headed I'm a good therapist, good with clients and retailing so id love to get more than min. Wage, but is that what most places will offer me?

Do most salons have a basic pay + commission for retail and maybe incentives of commission for rebooking/after a certain amount of money has been taken?

Thanks for any help!

I'm in Lincoln and the last salon I was employed in I got £7 p/hr but no commission or anything as the owners (who were not therapists or had any experience in the industry) claimed they couldn't afford to pay commission. I had to fight for my hourly rate as I believe I am well qualified and experienced. But I know that other staff were only on min wage. I had an interview in a spa earlier this year and they paid similar but that was a starting wage which would increase as you hit targets & retained clients and they also offered commission. The only problem with that was that I won't work a sunday as its the only day I have with my other half & daughter together. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

To be honest most places pay min wage or sometimes a little bit above even for experienced therapists. On the plus side nottingham has lots of spas (I would so drive to ragdale to work if I could if I lived in Nottingham). Also you have less overheads re equipment and advertising.

I worked over 13yrs for salin owners who never paid more than £6-7per hour. Sadly experience doesnt reflect in your wage.
One of the reasons I went self employed last year and I havent looked back. I now make 3 times the amount of money I earnt in the salon, and NOW my experience is appreciated.
Stick with it though ladies, gain your experience, then go it alone

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

I worked over 13yrs for salin owners who never paid more than £6-7per hour. Sadly experience doesnt reflect in your wage.
One of the reasons I went self employed last year and I havent looked back. I now make 3 times the amount of money I earnt in the salon, and NOW my experience is appreciated.
Stick with it though ladies, gain your experience, then go it alone

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is exactly the same as me. Been in a salon 12

This is exactly the same as me. Been in a salon 12

Opps pressed send!! This is same as me, worked in salon as a hairdresser for 12 yrs on minimum wage, going self employed soon as enough is enough and you can make triple what you earn in the salon. Be your own boss! Xx

Thanks everyone, as I expected really. I've recently applied to ragdale and Eden hall so hoping to get one of them.

Id love to stay self employed but need a mortgage very soon which I can't get being self employed until a couple of years pass :(

I used to work at Eden Hall 8 years ago. I really enjoyed it but its hard work. You literally have 5 mins to do your sales recommendations, get them out to the conservatory, get back to your room, clean down & set up for the next client. It was great fun though and I loved it!

I think I'd like it, I'm sure some days you just feel like you don't wanna be there though! Lol I think it would be such a good opportunity and puts you in a good position for other jobs too.

Its a fab opportunity. The only reason I left was that I had the opportunity of self employment closer to home. I really enjoyed my time there. Except when I couldn't go out on a sat night as I was working on the sunday lol. They do treat the staff well. Well they did when I was there anyway. Good bonuses & incentives & stuff. Good luck with it. Xx

Just going off on a tangent slightly. Although its great for workers that the govt. introduced a minimum wage, they havent done businesses any favours by calling it minimum wage.

Latest posts

Back