Avoiding those "Aarrgh" moments...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
As some of you who have emailed me in the last week or so have found out, I've been having major broadband problems due to the "lovely" people at V*rgin.

I really didn't realise how much that would affect my business in terms of everything pretty much grinding to a halt, I've not been able to work on my terms and I've had to work double-shifts to catch up (I've actually managed to get it sorted now touch wood).

It got my thinking though- is there anything I could have put in place before hand to see the problem off? any "disaster recovery" plans of what I'd do to counter-act something like this happening again?

I pretty much made the naive error of thinking that the way things were working were going to STAY working like that.....and we all know that's not the case in reality.

In our salon, most things would be recoverable but if we lost our supplier of hair we'd be pretty much up against it.

So - what one thing would REALLY be a disaster for your business? and have you ever thought about putting plans into place to see off any major problems? How would you contact your clients? do you have a database of people you could contact etc etc.

Last edited:
I would be totally lost without my client details soooooo I have an old fashioned paper diary and upto date client cards with all their details!

All my computer gubbins are worked off from memory stick so can literally plug in at anytime any place
!! To be honest it's on a stick coz the husband totally hogs the lap top so I have to grab anywhere to do some work!!!

Anyhooooo glad your all sorted now and you go off and have a relax on your very well deserved holibobs!

Xx

I would be totally lost without my client details soooooo I have an old fashioned paper diary and upto date client cards with all their details!

All my computer gubbins are worked off from memory stick so can literally plug in at anytime any place
!! To be honest it's on a stick coz the husband totally hogs the lap top so I have to grab anywhere to do some work!!!

Anyhooooo glad your all sorted now and you go off and have a relax on your very well deserved holibobs!

Xx

Hollybobs? I wish! :)

Backing up data extenally is a good idea- I do it myself once a month, If my PC died on me (which has happened before) and I lost 5 years worth of designs, I'd be testing the light fittings to see if they'd support my weight :eek:

A few years ago in the salon we had a period of going through several hair suppliers to the extent where we really didn't think we'd be getting a decent supply at all and the business was in danger. That's now sorted- but it's slightly precarious as we're really relying on the one place at the moment (and their customer service is appalling)- we SHOULD be looking into alternatives really....and after the last week or so, I'm going to get this sorted, just in case.

Last edited:
I'm going through my nightmare at the moment. The builders are so behind on my clinic building work that it would be quite easy to have a breakdown or 12!

What am I doing to counteract it? Originally I was taking 2 weeks off but now I've temporarily set up in my conservatory. Not ideal but it has heating and blinds (don't want to give the neighbours a floor show). I am turning new clients away though which is galling but my regulars know how I usually operate and the new ones don't. It'll all work out perfectly in the end!

I've also had a major ball ache with the same broadband supplier this last week, so I'm guessing your based near me? or maybe they are having issues elsewhere too, but it's appalling that its taken them a week to fix.
I'm mobile so was no impact on business really as I did have limited access on my phone; I have clients and supplier details all stored on external hard drive and have physical client record cards. It's been horrible not having internet access, it makes you realise how dependent we are on technology.
It makes good sense to have a 'disaster recovery plan', I used to have to do them in my previous employment - better to have one and not need to use it than to find yourself in a pickle when something bad happens x

Oh don't worry.... I've had no phone line for a month due to the C£&@S at "V" Grrr cost me a bomb on my personal mobile x

For me the worst nightmare would be if my computer 'died' .It has all my stock control , ordering history etc etc .I just could not function my e commerce business without it and the information it has stored

I have a little 'back up ' unit which is connected to my computer and 'backs ' all files up every day ...... So worst come to worst i could just go but another computer and transfer all my records form the back up unit :)

My dad had it really bad, when he moved shops and I took on his old shop and changed it into my salon I rang up and asked to split the telephone lines, one number to follow him to his new shop and carry on billing to his, and one line to stay where it was and start billing to me.

Talk talk messed this up and cut his phone line off, no phone line, no internet! it took 18 very very stressful days to get it reconnected, it lost him LOADS of business. Approx £10,000. Talk talk accepted responsibility, but in there terms and conditions it states they will no compensate for loss of business, so my dad got £5.60 odd a day plus VAT.
it was an absolute joke.

X

Latest posts

Back