Babies and business!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayleysspraytan

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a baby 5 weeks old and have read a lot of people have set up business's to work around their children - which is my reason for doing so as I have come from retail management well paid but high pressure and long hours with no extra pay particularly at xmas when I would have to pay out extra childcare but get paid no extra!! I would much rather work for myself if Im doing extra hours and have extra income as a result!!

Which leads to my question who has set up on their own to work around their children/family and has it worked? How do you balance work and family life and how long did it take you to get this balance?? What do you do for childcare do you ever have your children with you when carrying out treatments??

Would love to hear your stories and inspiration??

Hi,

Congratulations on the baby. I had a baby recently she is 6 weeks.

I've worked from home the past two years now and things have gone really well. Been hard work. I haven't advertised since December and haven't promoted myself because I was pregnant and didn't want the added pressure of new client's. I work full time and I'm busy with just my regular's. I stopped working in the beginning of July but did the odd small treatment like eyebrow waxing etc, I referred my client's on to a friend, and I'm slowly getting back into in now and it's hard work. I haven't texted or emailed client's to say I'm back, they are getting in touch with me. What with my daughter only being 6 weeks I'm finding it harder than I thought to be honest. My partner works shifts so I'm working around his hours at the moment. His mum has offered to look after my daughter so I can work more but I'm not ready for that.

I like to keep things professional, like a salon, so my daughter is out the way in another room with my partner, I work doorstairs so if my daughter is crying or making a noise he takes her upstairs. My client's do want to see her so I take her in to see them after the treatment. I'm hoping in April to work more full on but only if it works.

It can work it's just getting the right balance. I'm a work-a-holic and itching to get back to work more but at the same time want to enjoy my daughter.

Good luck

Ah congrats on your baby too!! I think theres a fair few new mummies on here!! I was spraytanning 7 days after birth!! Wasnt fun and had to take my son with me as breast feeding but went with my colleague who was doing her nails so she looked after him while I did the tan - but the client was desperate and I didnt want to let her down (she was going on holiday thenext day!) and also anxious to get back into it!!! I then let people know i was officially back after 2 weeks my husbands also in shift work and i have no family available near me who dont work fulltime themselves ... we are looking into the childcare vouchers ... but its difficult as wouldnt want him in childcare if I wasnt working and I cant really do set hours as such as it depends whats booked in for each day.... so hard to have that balance especially whern you love doing what you are doing!!

anyone else have any stories to share?? there must be lots of business mummies out there!!;)

Hi, I work from home 2-3 evenings a week, when my partner is here!

My story is a little different! I lived in Suffolk all my life then met my partner and at the time id gone back to college to train in hair and was doing both hair and beauty! My partner lived in the midlands so we only saw each other at weekends!

When Freya was 4 weeks old I moved over 100 miles to live with him! I didn't work for the first 18 months after Freya was born as I thought it was important for me to raise my daughter myself, it was hard (moneywise) but my partner supported me in being a stay at home mum!

A few months ago I set up a small treatment room in our house in the midlands! So I had to start all over again, I have a handful of clients, a pamper party in a few weeks and I just take each week as it comes!

I only want two children and close together so when my babies are both at school and pre school I'll work during the day and build up clients on the way...I enjoy beauty and its part of me so that's why I want to keep doing it a few hours a week! But I didn't want to have children just to pay someone else to look after them, that was my choice and I am happy with how it works now! I havnt missed anything Freya has done, walking, talking, laughing, signing etc I was there for it all....and isn't that what it's all about?

Don't stress out about pushing yourself to work if you don't have to, being a mum is a full time job and your doing a good job so stress less....fit work in when you can x

You are very lucky Freyabeauty!! Unfortunately I had a severe handbag habit and as a result have a fair amount of debt!! So I have to have a min income of £800 per month eek!! But i too agree with your thinking if you have children you want to bring them up yourself! So my ideal situation would be to have some sort of creche i could take him to with no set hours so i could just drop him off for half an hour for example while i do a spray tan ... Iwonder if anyone does somthing like this or do you work around partners or rely on family and friends - obviously childcare is going to eat into my profit margins!!

Oh I see...Well you could always try flexible nannies or child minders once when I was looking into it, I found someone who was happy for me to change the days she would have Freya each week, but I decided my time with her was too precious, she will be a teenager one day and telling me to get lost lol...so I hold on to every moment we have now, got the rest of my life to work hard and buy handbags ; )))
X

I have two boys and I work part time on a mobile basis. I do 2 days a week plus every evening.
I love my boys more then anything but am not made to be a stay at home mum, I lost myself after having my first and didnt find myself again really until he was possibly nearly two.
Thats when I started in this industry.

They both go to nursery the days I work, if I have no work then they dont go. If I dont have childcare for any reason then I dont work- often people will ask for days/times I dont do but if I can accommodate them by getting a babysitter or swapping their nursery times then I will.

I dont see it that someone else is 'bringing them up' at all by sending them to nursery, even when my son did 3 long days at nursery (during my previous job) I still feel it was me bringing him up as I worked carefully with the nursery to ensure he was brought up consistently with my ways.
I feel the same now I have two children in nursery.
It was my decision to have both my children and also my decision to work aswell and its not about the money (although it is another reason I must work), but I love my job.
I think it is important to have a happy and 'together' mummy for 75% of the time then a stressed and less happy mummy 100% of the time.
The time I spend working only makes the time I am back with them all the sweeter and more precious- I feel I treasure and enjoy it more as a result.

Life is a constant juggle, I get no me time really and my partner and I are often like passing ships in the night. But it kind of works for us at the moment because while the boys are young it has to.
I have built my business over the last year, through the course of my pregnancy and without really having taken maternity leave as I couldnt run my own business and take that leave, slowly its thankfully paying off.
I have a good number of loyal and happy clients, I train for a product I love and I have a family life I'm very happy with too.. it works but only as long as I dont stop for too long.
I love it though!

Last edited:
Hi I also have 2 boys now aged 7 and 9 and work mainly from home but bit of mobile. It is great as a very flexible job and can be worked around the family but also can be v tough as now they bit older can be noisier too and don't go to sleep well or early! I would love to convert our garage or have a log cabin but funds don't permit sadly!
Sometimes if I have appointments after school or school hols my parents or in laws can look after the Boys but I did struggle last summer hols as v busy thank goodness but trying to juggle boys etc was soo hard! Overall though they are good and I love that I can be flexible and go to their sports mornings etc and feel v lucky. X

Hi, I work from home 2-3 evenings a week, when my partner is here!

My story is a little different! I lived in Suffolk all my life then met my partner and at the time id gone back to college to train in hair and was doing both hair and beauty! My partner lived in the midlands so we only saw each other at weekends!

When Freya was 4 weeks old I moved over 100 miles to live with him! I didn't work for the first 18 months after Freya was born as I thought it was important for me to raise my daughter myself, it was hard (moneywise) but my partner supported me in being a stay at home mum!

A few months ago I set up a small treatment room in our house in the midlands! So I had to start all over again, I have a handful of clients, a pamper party in a few weeks and I just take each week as it comes!

I only want two children and close together so when my babies are both at school and pre school I'll work during the day and build up clients on the way...I enjoy beauty and its part of me so that's why I want to keep doing it a few hours a week! But I didn't want to have children just to pay someone else to look after them, that was my choice and I am happy with how it works now! I havnt missed anything Freya has done, walking, talking, laughing, signing etc I was there for it all....and isn't that what it's all about?

Don't stress out about pushing yourself to work if you don't have to, being a mum is a full time job and your doing a good job so stress less....fit work in when you can x

Ouch!!!!
I think all mum's would love to stay at home and not work but we ain't all lucky. I can't afford to stay at home, I have to work. I've got though hell to have my daughter, I'd love not work just until she goes to school but my partner doesn't earn enough. So we look after her between us, so I can work.

I have two boys and I work part time on a mobile basis. I do 2 days a week plus every evening.
I love my boys more then anything but am not made to be a stay at home mum, I lost myself after having my first and didnt find myself again really until he was possibly nearly two.

They both go to nursery the days I work, if I have no work then they dont go. If I dont have childcare for any reason then I dont work- often people will ask for days/times I dont do but if I can accommodate them by getting a babysitter or swapping their nursery times then I will.

I dont see it that someone else is 'bringing them up' at all by sending them to nursery, even when my son did 3 long days at nursery (during my previous job) I still feel it was me bringing him up as I worked carefully with the nursery to ensure he was brought up consistently with my ways.
It was my decision to have both my children and also my decision to work aswell and its not about the money (although it is another reason I must work), but I love my job.
I think it is important to have a happy and 'together' mummy for 75% of the time then a stressed and less happy mummy 100% of the time.
The time I spend working only makes the time I am back with them all the sweeter and more precious- I feel I treasure and enjoy it more as a result.

Life is a constant juggle, I get no me time really and my partner and I are often like passing ships in the night. But it kind of works for us at the moment because while the boys are young it has to.
I have built my business over the last year, through the course of my pregnancy and without really having taken maternity leave as I couldnt run my own business and take that leave, slowly its thankfully paying off.
I have a good number of loyal and happy clients, I train for a product I love and I have a family life I'm very happy with too.. it works but only as long as I dont stop for too long.
I love it though!

Thanks for this reply!! This is the inspiration I was looking for!! Hope I didnt offend with the 'bringing them up' comment - I didnt mean it literally just that its important to get the right balance - which is what I am trying to achieve!! I was thinking of putting him in childcare 3 days a week but most childminders have said they need set days and I dont want him to be with someone else if I am not working!! Have you found nurserys are more flexible with this then?? I think my sticking point is that I have to earn a good amount to cover the bills before anything goes back into the business (which it is my plan to expand when he hits 2) so really dont like refusing appointments! Although sometimes it has to be done particularly as everyone wants a spray tan on a friday night ha ha!!

Oh I see...Well you could always try flexible nannies or child minders once when I was looking into it, I found someone who was happy for me to change the days she would have Freya each week, but I decided my time with her was too precious, she will be a teenager one day and telling me to get lost lol...so I hold on to every moment we have now, got the rest of my life to work hard and buy handbags ; )))
X[/QUOTE

Think my handbag habit was severe enough that its been put to bed - have enough to last me a lifetime anyway!!

I love it though!

...also if you dont mind me asking how did you come to be a trainer

Hi I also have 2 boys now aged 7 and 9 and work mainly from home but bit of mobile. It is great as a very flexible job and can be worked around the family but also can be v tough as now they bit older can be noisier too and don't go to sleep well or early! I would love to convert our garage or have a log cabin but funds don't permit sadly!
Sometimes if I have appointments after school or school hols my parents or in laws can look after the Boys but I did struggle last summer hols as v busy thank goodness but trying to juggle boys etc was soo hard! Overall though they are good and I love that I can be flexible and go to their sports mornings etc and feel v lucky. X

this is exactly why i have changed my career path! im not afraid of hard work and in fact strive off challenge but dont want to miss out either which i certainly would have done i stayed in previous job! struggling and juggling is worth it if you get to do things like sports mornings etc!

Inspirational ladies! I am away to start my training with Cnd and plan to work around my partners job!

I have been a full time mummy for 20 months now and it's time to get and and do something for me!

That way we will be able to provide a better future for our cheeky monkey ... Well that's the plan  xxx

Ouch!!!!
I think all mum's would love to stay at home and not work but we ain't all lucky. I can't afford to stay at home, I have to work. I've got though hell to have my daughter, I'd love not work just until she goes to school but my partner doesn't earn enough. So we look after her between us, so I can work.

Sorry I didn't mean for my statement to offend anyone, I understand everyone does what they have to do and what suits them best! I wasn't always so lucky I lived on my own for 4 years and had to work three jobs just to pay the bills! I just can't justify the cost of childcare compared to my earnings right now...we don't have loads of cash but what we don't have we won't spend, living within our means...x

Thanks for this reply!! This is the inspiration I was looking for!! Hope I didnt offend with the 'bringing them up' comment - I didnt mean it literally just that its important to get the right balance - which is what I am trying to achieve!! I was thinking of putting him in childcare 3 days a week but most childminders have said they need set days and I dont want him to be with someone else if I am not working!! Have you found nurserys are more flexible with this then?? I think my sticking point is that I have to earn a good amount to cover the bills before anything goes back into the business (which it is my plan to expand when he hits 2) so really dont like refusing appointments! Although sometimes it has to be done particularly as everyone wants a spray tan on a friday night ha ha!!

Ah thanks, you made me blush!

To be honest nurserys are probably less flexible in general, initially I was looking at childminders for extra flexibility however, the little gem of a nursery I've found is small, in a difficult location to get to and as a result not full up- so they have space to swap and change when I need.
Your best bet is to ring different providers and ask outright how they are re. flexibility, otherwise plan your work around when you do have childcare.
I do get tax credits to help with the childcare too, its not a lot but makes a difference. I also only take enough money to cover a couple of bills I need it for and the rest goes back into reinvestment and stock.

Regarding training, I use only products I genuinely love and so when the opportunity to train with one of them arose, I was lucky to have had my eyes open at the right time.
I saw it advertised on here and went for it. :hug:

lucky you!!i shall be keeping my eyes peeled!! i think ill call and see if i am entitled to anything to help but hubbys in the police so not sure if i will be!! fingers crossed the childcare vouchers will be a big help!!

Latest posts

Back