back pain while doing nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ns21

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a question for all you nail geeks that are always busy sitting in that chair doing nails like me, do you all suffer from back pain?

I have been doing nails for the past 8 years and I think all those hours doing nails has caught up to me. Recently my back has been killing me!!

How do you all sit? I think my posture is all wrong. Have any of you had similar problems?

Nidia

What type of chair and desk do you use?

A good session with a McTimoney Chiropractor will sort you out. I used to have a crippling back and had had it for years. Then someone recommended a McTimoney chap to me and hey presto..... I feel great now. Look in your yellow pages under chiroprators but remember it must be a McTimoney trained one. Their technique is so different, no twisting or cracking like the others do. The McTimoney is just a quick soft pushing movement which is so relaxing its almost like a wonderful massage.

If you want any more details then PM me.

Hope it works for you like it did for me.

Hi there! Best advice I can give is to have a good typist's chair with one of the back rests that follow you when you when you lean forward slightly...make sure your table is at a height that you don't have to lean forward too much (or alter the height of your chair to suit)...sit with your knees apart and feet flat on the floor...make sure you get up and walk around (and do some stretching if poss) in between clients. Try not to tense any muscles whilst working..let the file do the work.

I also had a prob a few years back (I hadn't been following the above advice! sometimes worked 8 hours straight through lunch and lucky if I got up to p once a day - silly me!!!!!!!) I also visited a chiropractor and after two visits all pain was gone, followed his advice about posture (because I hadn't paid any attention on initial training) and NO PAIN since.

Get it sorted soon though or you could be setting up irreversible damage..good luck, Fiona

I know this sounds really thick but,I have scyatica(sp?) in lower back n I've tried the desk n chair alteration thing,

However, for me to be at the right height for my table, my feet don't touch the floor at all!!!!(not even in heels!!!!)
Any other suggestions I could try?

Debz xx
fiona wallace said:
Hi there! Best advice I can give is to have a good typist's chair with one of the back rests that follow you when you when you lean forward slightly...make sure your table is at a height that you don't have to lean forward too much (or alter the height of your chair to suit)...sit with your knees apart and feet flat on the floor...make sure you get up and walk around (and do some stretching if poss) in between clients. Try not to tense any muscles whilst working..let the file do the work.

I also had a prob a few years back (I hadn't been following the above advice! sometimes worked 8 hours straight through lunch and lucky if I got up to p once a day - silly me!!!!!!!) I also visited a chiropractor and after two visits all pain was gone, followed his advice about posture (because I hadn't paid any attention on initial training) and NO PAIN since.

Get it sorted soon though or you could be setting up irreversible damage..good luck, Fiona

Hi all....I suffer too with lower back and shoulder pain, I see a Chiropractor too which helps immensley (but at £28 for 15 mins an expensive help!)

I am thinking of buying on of those Shoulders Back posture support thingies at Excel....anyone got one?? Is it any good??

Clare xx

I used to get terrible back ache, particularly from the shoulders up. I am now very conscious of my posture and can hand on heart say I never get back ache.

I have a typists chair so that I can adjust the height and back position, I too have short legs and so rest my feet on the legs of the chair!! I sit square to the table (i used to slouch to one side with one elbow on the table) and make sure I keep my back as straight as possible, bending from the base of my spine rather than hunching over the desk as so many techs do (i'm always telling Kelly off for it!!).

I tend to have a good stretch every so often and get up between clients. I make sure the client is close to the desk so that neither of us have to stretch, but she has to place her hands so that the position is comfortable to me and not her, I explain that is so that I don't get backache and so they adjust the way they sit.

You can get a foot rest which is usually adjustable. Office equipment suppliers have them in the same section as chairs. It does make a real difference!! I've found that if I keep my (very high) heels on while I'm working (my day job is as a marketing consultant - don't ask....) so that my feet are firmly on the floor, I have less strain on my back, whereas if I kick my shoes off and rest my feet on the feet of the chair I tend to feel more achy.

Hi all,

I have one of those funny z shaped stool things, theyre great for my posture and encourage me to sit up straight, which I didnt do for years cos i was teased at school for my height,( i was 5'8'' by 11 years old, but didnt grow any more after!)
Now I walk (and sit) tall!!!
Hope this helps
Tina x

wobbly said:
Hi all,

I have one of those funny z shaped stool things, theyre great for my posture and encourage me to sit up straight, which I didnt do for years cos i was teased at school for my height,( i was 5'8'' by 11 years old, but didnt grow any more after!)
Now I walk (and sit) tall!!!
Hope this helps
Tina x

I used to have one of those stools to use at my PC but I found that it killed my knees! I ended up throwing it out, and went back to a normal typist's chair. Apart from trying to remember posture, good chair etc, I haven't found anything else that helps yet......

I often get back ache, and it does worry me a bit, but what was more worrying was by last saturday i had a real bad ache in my right elbow ( im right handed) and also my hands felt real stiff. It scares me a bit because i worry bout getting arthritis or something, and at 26 yrs of age i feel im too young.!!

i try not to book enhancement clients straight after each other coz my back is already dodgy and if i am sat too long it ends up worse , i have found it to be better to have a break in between , hth

hi i have been getting pain and stiffness in my fingers when i do nail extensions. Has anyone else had this and how do you stop it?

kaz

I sit on a Therapist stool and try to hold my back up - stomach in... I found that I was slouching quite alot whilst sitting in a chair. I don't do back to back appoinments either.

Debz said:
I know this sounds really thick but,I have scyatica(sp?) in lower back n I've tried the desk n chair alteration thing,

However, for me to be at the right height for my table, my feet don't touch the floor at all!!!!(not even in heels!!!!)
Any other suggestions I could try?

Debz xx

i started with sciatica but now have an instable spine due to sitting wrong, i now find that if i sit with my lower spine slightly delved in (if that makes sense) i have no probs at all - and i just sit on a kitchen chair (not in the kitchen when doing nails tho) haha (make sure your feet are on the floor tho)
hope this might help

I know that the saddle stool has been mentioned before but they are the best thing. My husband is 6f 1in and he used to suffer really bad with his back until we got those stools and touch wood we have never had to go to the chiropractor since. They do take some getting used to as you need to learn how to drop your knees and this is something that a lot of people can't do as they are used to sitting with their knees up.

Try getting a foot rest this is like a slope that you put your feet on we use thema t college as we sit at computers for hours on end.
x

Latest posts

Back