Bad back - what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire83

Reaction score
Hi all

I managed to hurt my back on Saturday evening after work. There was a loud pop and ever since it's been really painful. I managed to get an appointment with a nurse yesterday who couldn't do anything for me, as I need to see a doctor, and there are no appointments available until Friday unless I am lucky enough to get a cancellation, which I'm trying to do.

The nurse recommended I didn't work while I'm in pain as the leaning over the desk is aggravating my back even more. I'm having trouble sleeping as can't get comfortable, and if I do I wake up in pain once the painkillers have worn off.

I'm fully booked today and have appointments dotted around through the rest of the week, but I'm in the salon at the minute, standing up and writing this whilst crying as I'm in agony.

Would you cancel the clients for the rest of the week and make sure you are better or would you push through and hope you don't make whatever it is worse. I'm self-employed so don't really want to cancel clients but I don't know how much good I'm going to be, dosed up on tablets and concentrating on my pain. :sad:

I'd get yourself to an osteopath today (it will probably cost you about £50 initially )but find one on recommendation.A doctor will probably tell you to rest and give you something like Diclofenic.
I think you need to cancel your appointments for the rest ofthis week though because you are going to need to let your body heal.

So, I managed to get to a doctor today and after them thinking I'd got a slipped disc, it has now been decided I have a muscular problem, just very close to the spine.

I'm on more tablets.. I'm sure I'm going to start rattling soon, and have been advised not to work this week at all. As I work alone I feel I can't cancel clients, plus I need the money! Looks like I will have to ignore the doctors advice and persevere with work. :cry:

Get yourself to a private physio at once. My hubby had this and the doctor just drugged him up and told him to rest. He went to a physio a few days later, was manipulated a little and given some exercises and all healed quite quickly.

I did my back in two years ago and didn't bother with the doctor, went straight to the physio and the fixed me. Yes, it cost £60 for 2 appointments but it was well worth it, back at work a lot sooner had I not gone.

Hi

a colleague shoved me today:sad: and i felt a twang in my back. I have been in pain since but i can not afford to have anytime off either:irked: hope yours feels better soon xx

I did try to get in with osteopaths but they are full this week, hence the drugs. Will try again next week if still as bad.

Hope you are better soon too, tresses.

You both need rest,not bed bound but taking it easy about two weeks, ice packs on area for 20 mins at time leave for a hour and ice area again.
Trust me i have had a back injury for some years and I sympathise for you,anti inflam/pain killers...I learnt the hard way doc signed me off two weeks took three days of and ended up having to take three and half weeks as was in so much pain!!

Disagree with rest/painkiller route personally.

Try a chiropractic.

My doc said my back would take about 12 weeks to heal and gave me strong painkillers.

I went to a chiropractic and after the first appt. I reduced the pills considerably. I had a further 3 sessions and voila, all gone. Feeling fab.

Pills just dull the pain a little but don't treat the cause of the problem.

I've had a bad back from a car accident for 4 months. Docs anti inflAmmotories did nothing. Saws chiropractor who was amazing and was really getting somewhere. Now having to see a physio as recommended by the insurance and its awful! The pain is worse than ever after her measly 10 minute rub downs and trying to click my back.

I've had a bad back from a car accident for 4 months. Docs anti inflAmmotories did nothing. Saws chiropractor who was amazing and was really getting somewhere. Now having to see a physio as recommended by the insurance and its awful! The pain is worse than ever after her measly 10 minute rub downs and trying to click my back.

How awful for you. Can't you ditch the physio and just go back to the chiropractic?

It's all part of my insurance claim do I'm just going along with the recommendation for now and taking painkillers!

HI

My shoulder blade is swollen and painful today. ive taken painkillers and tried to take it easy if it doesnt improve by monday i will go drs:eek:

LADIES! Take care of yourselves!!!!!!!

I had a back injury in Dec of 2010. I continued to work through it and it caused me a herniated and torn disc in May of 2011. I now have permanent nerve damage all throughout my lumbar spine and it accelerated my degenerative disc disease to the point where I now have to get x-ray guided cortisone injections into my spine. I turned 23 years old in March. Please don't follow in my footsteps!

In regards to physio vs. chiro. They are different and can work synergistically. Chiro is great but if your muscles are pulling your spine out of alignment, you have to calm those muscles FIRST, then adjust. If you keep adjusting without dealing with the muscles, they will keep pulling your spine back out of alignment. If you have a dislocated vertebra, you need a chiro to adjust it back into place and a physio to deal with the muscles after!

Ouch!!

I've been on co-codamol for the past week and it has helped me, although it's definitely making me drowsy. I haven't been at work, I've rested but continued to move about so as not to get stiff. I just couldn't do pedicures or manicures being bent over all week.

Doctor had a look and it isn't anything to do with my spine, just muscular and it has eased off pain wise and I'm moving much more freely now.

If it does get worse I'll be sure to book an appointment with osteopath/chiro etc, but in the meantime I will make sure I don't over do it.

claire, i hope you are ok?? i really would try and get to an osteopath if you can, i have regular back trouble and what they can do is just pure genius!! also get yourself some biofreeze gel, you can order online or see if any chemist local to you stocks it. It works really deep down into the muscles and eases any pain as well as making you able to do things. Its not expensive and ive been using it for years xx....ps make sure to wash your hands after applying or your hands will go numb!!

claire, i hope you are ok?? i really would try and get to an osteopath if you can, i have regular back trouble and what they can do is just pure genius!! also get yourself some biofreeze gel, you can order online or see if any chemist local to you stocks it. It works really deep down into the muscles and eases any pain as well as making you able to do things. Its not expensive and ive been using it for years xx....ps make sure to wash your hands after applying or your hands will go numb!!

Thanks souz, will have a look out for that tomorrow at the chemist. x

Latest posts

Back