Bad Nail Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VelvetRose80

Reaction score
Hiya Everyone,
I just wanted to share my experience from what I'd seeing been done to paying customers in a nail salon. I'm studying/training to be a nail technician in which I am very passionate about, and since studying and reading up alot of information as well as being on Salon Geek which is soooo informative I just couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing in the nail salon and wanted to share with you as this can't be right.

• When customer come and sit at the nail Tech' table hands are not being sterlised - which is a must I thought to stop cross contamination.
  • Nail technician are using the electric file to on nail plate, grinding down so much that customers are pulling back their hands which i believe is due to pain being felt or heat build up.
  • Cuticle cutters are being used and not sterlised for the next customer.
  • I've seen where the paying customer has been nipped with either the cuticle cutter or the electric file when trying to clear the cuticle area leaving the customer with blood spots at the cuticle area - Not at all impressed!
  • Minors (under 16yrs) coming into the nail salon and having Acrylic applied without no questioning of a consent form from parent/guardian.
  • Customers leaving without any form of cuticle oil applied to the cuticle area.
Its very dis-heartening seeing these things been done, and I know that there are nail salons out there that are ensuring that customers don't go through any of the above. Am I correct for spotting these things out? Is it that its just there way of working?, but surely the nail Technician way of working is universal ensuring the correct method is practiced?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would greatly appreciate your comments.

VelvetRose80 X

Hiya Everyone,
I just wanted to share my experience from what I'd seeing been done to paying customers in a nail salon. I'm studying/training to be a nail technician in which I am very passionate about, and since studying and reading up alot of information as well as being on Salon Geek which is soooo informative I just couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing in the nail salon and wanted to share with you as this can't be right.

• When customer come and sit at the nail Tech' table hands are not being sterlised - which is a must I thought to stop cross contamination.
  • Nail technician are using the electric file to on nail plate, grinding down so much that customers are pulling back their hands which i believe is due to pain being felt or heat build up.
  • I've seen where the paying customer has been nipped with either the cuticle cutter or the electric file when trying to clear the cuticle area leaving the customer with blood spots at the cuticle area - Not at all impressed!
  • Minors (under 16yrs) coming into the nail salon and having Acrylic applied without no questioning of a consent form from parent/guardian.
  • Customers leaving without any form of cuticle oil applied to the cuticle area.
Its very dis-heartening seeing these things been done, and I know that there are nail salons out there that are ensuring that customers don't go through any of the above. Am I correct for spotting these things out? Is it that its just there way of working?, but surely the nail Technician way of working is universal ensuring the correct method is practiced?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would greatly appreciate your comments.

VelvetRose80 X

We don't sterilise hands we sanitise hands.
this is what we tend to call a non standard salon. unfortunately I see it all the time too. I find they also don't follow a protective measure when blood is present. i.e covering with a band aid or gloves even. the hygiene thing just freaks me out! yet people still go - and still pay them for being treated like this?

We don't sterilise hands we sanitise hands.
this is what we tend to call a non standard salon. unfortunately I see it all the time too. I find they also don't follow a protective measure when blood is present. i.e covering with a band aid or gloves even. the hygiene thing just freaks me out! yet people still go - and still pay them for being treated like this?

I used to go to a similar salon (my nails were never cut or damaged but they certainly had hygiene issues!) but being a nail biter i never really treated my nails with great respect.

The fact is, until you start to learn about nails you treat them as a hard bit on the end of your fingers which are good for helping open cans!! The general public do not know any better, they arent aware that what is being done is abnormal or wrong.

It would help it local councils made some sort of limitation on the standard required to work as a nail tech but like all industries, you'll never get rid of people trying to make quick cash without any concern for how they do it :irked:

I think all we can do is try and be the good ones who can help those clients who finally see the light!! :)

I guess some people don't care about the integrity of the nail. I've seen this too, and it's just laziness.

I agree Fi and I am not even trained yet. I have a friend whose nails I paint and file regularly. She know I do my own nails and knows that I am reluctant to enhance hers without her signing to say she knows I am not trained and am using products that are available for sale to the public etc. Her relative's partner decided to pick up on the need for a nail tech in the hairdressers she works in, bought a kit, did nothing more and is happily slapping acrylic onto people without any clue about anything. Yet my friend insists on going to her and then coming crying to me when she is in pain, has thick lumps of acrylic on the ends of her fingers that has been applied so wet, it runs under the nail tip and is cutting and blistering her finger tips and wanting to know why her white tips have been applied about 3mm off her lunula! I can't do or say anything because while it is cheap ( prob free for her ) to have done, it is expensive when the natural nail health is being overlooked for it and it makes me so angry that I am saving hard, staying passionate ansd learning everything I can while I save for some jumped up 17 year old to think because she owns a nail varnish, she can do something that she cant! 9 sorry I will put my soapbox away! )

Hiya Everyone,

VelvetRose80 X

It is good that at this early stage of learning you are recognising the things that are wrong and are resolved not to do them yourself.

However you do have a few things still to learn, lol and one of them is the important differences in removing pathogens from a surface and what is and is not acceptable in the nail salon.

There are degrees of difference in the level of pathogen removal between sterilizing, disinfecting, and sanitizing. You cannot sterilize hands ... You do not need to sterilize tools under normal circumstances you only need to disinfect them. Learn the differences between the two processes and why.

I would not be disheartened ... there is no universal way of working and standards differ as in any profession. I find it is a much healthier attitude to get on with doing things right yourself and to educate your clients and not to worry too much about what the next guy is doing.

If you want to have the best standards and products and training then seek out those who will give them to you ... training does not stop but is life long and always in a state of refinement. Good luck with your career.

A best salons where I live are NSS's its really sad now that I know what's good for my nails and what's not. I now always inform everyone I know what's good for their nails if they ever are tempted to go into a NSS, and happly remind them that I will be qualified at the end of the month :lol:

Latest posts

Back