Balayage tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
How's everyone enjoying balayage? Personally I try to do as much as possible and I love it because I feel like I am learning every time I balayage. I wonder how long until it is incorporated into the NVQ? I am glad to see that Toni&Guy have included a technique in there latest educational collection.

Anyway so here are some things that I find help me when visually painting hair:
1) Negative Space: Don't just focus on the hair that you are painting, USE the darker hair or lowlights to enhance the highlight. When I started to balayage I would paint too much hair and lose all the contrast and dimension.

2) Contrast and Balance: Think about how light/contrasting the highlight will be before deciding how thick/heavy to paint each piece. If the colours are soft you can paint VERY large sections of hair, if you are going a lot lighter make them smaller.. It sounds obvious but I found when moving over from foils it took getting used to having to really think about how the sections will effect the final result.

3) Lifting and Toning: I tend to do a lot of my balayage on brunette clients and no-one likes brassy hair. I have had to get used to using different ash toners on darker depths and developing until it cuts though all that warmth - you can achieve cool results on any depth (unless they want warmth). Also don't be scared to use higher developers with balayage.

4) Always get the haircut first: I will steal Mr. Tangs line "You've got to build the house, before you can paint it".

So what do you find helps you balayage? I look forward to learning your balayage tips :)

This is probably going to sound soooo thick and I apologise but I'm very new to balayage,I've only ever used pre lightener(wella blondor powder) can you use tints to apply like balayage or not as a wetter product and best to pre lighten then tone?i brought a balayage spatula a couple of months ago and love it!!

This is probably going to sound soooo thick and I apologise but I'm very new to balayage,I've only ever used pre lightener(wella blondor powder) can you use tints to apply like balayage or not as a wetter product and best to pre lighten then tone?i brought a balayage spatula a couple of months ago and love it!!

Yes you can use tint, although I prefere not using highlifts because they are a) runny and b) there is no heat from the scalp and I hate using too much heat with balayage because it can bleed or leave ghost spots

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes you can use tint, although I prefere not using highlifts because they are a) runny and b) there is no heat from the scalp and I hate using too much heat with balayage because it can bleed or leave ghost spots

Cool I thought highlifts would be a no no but good to know about tints :) need to check out new t&g collection,have seen pics and love!

Jack Howard will be teaching a course at L'Oreal Hammersmith in 2015 ;)

Where could I find the Toni guy new technique then? Thank you

You could use a highlift with color.id, that way it'd thicken it up and avoid bleeding!

Jack Howard will be teaching a course at L'Oreal Hammersmith in 2015 ;)

That's fab do you know the price? How can I contact loreal to book?

You could use a highlift with color.id, that way it'd thicken it up and avoid bleeding!

Great tip! :)

Where could I find the Toni guy new technique then? Thank you

Not sure if you can order online I can check prices if you are interested x

Not sure if you can order online I can check prices if you are interested x

Defo!!ive never used l'oreal tho,would I still be ok doing that course?happy learning new colour houses :)

Have you tried to this cams?

Just signed up to loreal and I'm going to call the academy asap :) thanks,fab blog too :)

Thanks babe, I think I spend too much time on here to blog! You will love that course :)

Have you tried to this cams?

Not as of yet! But definitely will in the future.

Not as of yet! But definitely will in the future.

Cool let us know how it goes!

How do you minimise ghost spots and bleeding? I'm finding sometimes I get this where when I'm doing balayage into an ombre bottom (so taking a section, holding the ends tight so the hair looks like a long triangle) I paint down the outside edge each side and maybe do a line down the centre but when it's being dried it's like the bleach has made spots on the hair where I wanted a line?

I'm still new to using the balayage technique and am over the nerves and am pumped when i get a booking. What I am finding difficult is toning the mid length area. After i tone the roots and ends come up beautifully but where the tint meets the bleach it has too much warmth. I do use different toners in the midlengths and ends. The client seems happy but its just me been picky. And then I hope in a few weeks the toner won't wash out too much in the midlengths and leaves it brassy. Any suggestions.
I am also a home salon so I do get a lot of clients who use box colours just to make it that bit harder to lift out in the mid length area.

How do you minimise ghost spots and bleeding? I'm finding sometimes I get this where when I'm doing balayage into an ombre bottom (so taking a section, holding the ends tight so the hair looks like a long triangle) I paint down the outside edge each side and maybe do a line down the centre but when it's being dried it's like the bleach has made spots on the hair where I wanted a line?

you just have to apply lightly on smaller sections. ghost spots in that sense are where certain bits of product are over-penetrating the sections in certain areas. try and make sure you apply the same pressure all the way along your brushstroke and have enough product on it!

Latest posts

Back