Bank Holidays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach12

Reaction score
Hi all, I've done a quick search on here on this already, and its helped me to work out my first question, but that leads me to a second.

I am just taking over a salon where the therapists all get 28 days holiday including bank hols, pro rata for part timers.

However, currently the girls don't work Mondays, so as I understand it from reading on here, they get to use the full 28 days for which ever other days, as Monday is a non working day for them, is this correct?

So my next question is, I am looking at opening the salon on Mondays now as well, I will initially work them on my own, but when I am at the stage of taking on another therapist, I will have them in on a Monday with me.

So would their contract be the same- 28 days to include Bank Hols, meaning they would have to use some of those 28 days for those Mondays (as I will always close on BH)?

I just feel they might feel they are pulling a short straw here as they don't have as much flexibility with their holiday as the others? But I'm not sure of any other way around it, and having never worked in a salon open on Mondays, I don't know from experience.

Any ideas from anyone who knows or has been in this place before?

Thanks!

Hi all, I've done a quick search on here on this already, and its helped me to work out my first question, but that leads me to a second.

I am just taking over a salon where the therapists all get 28 days holiday including bank hols, pro rata for part timers.

However, currently the girls don't work Mondays, so as I understand it from reading on here, they get to use the full 28 days for which ever other days, as Monday is a non working day for them, is this correct?

So my next question is, I am looking at opening the salon on Mondays now as well, I will initially work them on my own, but when I am at the stage of taking on another therapist, I will have them in on a Monday with me.

So would their contract be the same- 28 days to include Bank Hols, meaning they would have to use some of those 28 days for those Mondays (as I will always close on BH)?

I just feel they might feel they are pulling a short straw here as they don't have as much flexibility with their holiday as the others? But I'm not sure of any other way around it, and having never worked in a salon open on Mondays, I don't know from experience.

Any ideas from anyone who knows or has been in this place before?

Thanks!

Hi,

I recently have taken a spa over from old management my spa the girls get 28 days inc. bank holidays even though we do not open mondays the old company opened on mondays and this was their contract (I kept it the same). I then realised the reason they had the 28 days was because they were expected to work bank holidays and were entitled to take a day off to make up for it. So by offering the 28 days I was wrong as they now get the bank holidays off too. (so get loads of time off!!)

So basically what I think is that you shouldn't still offer 28 days as if you will close anyway they won't need the extra days...

Hope that makes sense!!!

Our salon is open reduced hours on a bank hol for the sunbeds and bookings not nails and beauty (with no insentive to work ie double time/hours back in hols) and we loose 2 hours pay for the joy! Grrr!

I defo feel I have a short straw working on a monday, and as soon as I can afford to, I will be dropping that shift!

Altho, we can take bank hols as holidays or we can take them unpaid...Just wondering if that option could work for who ever works on a monday for u so they don't HAVE to take them as hols (and u don't loose anything as if they take it unpaid-you don't have to pay them that day) as over the year there are quite a lot of bank hols and they sort of would be being penalised for working a mon (still are as they loose out on money or hols either way compaired to the others) its tricky! Xx

My girls who have Monday as there day off get an extra day off during the week that the bank holiday falls. When I have worked at salons that close on a Monday all staff got an extra day off that week. It is awkward when you take over an other salon with existing staff as their contracts still stand.

Thanks for all the input guys- it certainly is difficult trying to keep the current girls on what they are on, whilst looking to grow the salon and increase opening hours.

I do like the idea of offering the therapists that would work on a Monday the option of working the Bank Holiday or taking it as a days holiday. That way it's really up to them if they want to use it as a days holiday or treat it like a regular week.

That would seem fair to me, I suppose I would just need to make sure the demand would be there on a Bank holiday for business.

Do those of you that open on a Bank Holiday find it a popular day to come in to salon for clients?

We have the odd spray tan, the sunbeds can be hit or miss really, and we don't offer nails or beauty (good friday is the exception) think it depends oh what u have on offer :) xx

I use to work in a salon that was open bank holiday, it was my day to work as my boss use to just treat the week the same as any other we was open from 9-9 and it was always dead but I had to stay open just incase someone came in. I did not get double pay or a day off in leu. I also worked in a salon where my day off was a Monday and I use to get a extra day off to take in that week which was always nice as I did not fill as if I lost out, that was my favourite way.
Kirsty

Thanks everyone. Think I need to head back to the drawing board and give this some thought!

Latest posts

Back