Barbering??/

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstymc

Reaction score
hi i hoe someone can give me some advice, i am a qualified hairdresser who is mobile, i have decided to do a barbering courses but i am unsure if i will enjoy it?

is any1 one here a barber?#

is the money good?

any benefits?

whats the pro's and cons?

thnx

kirsty:eek:

hi there i am a qualified traditional barber i did it every day for 4 years in :lol:a gents salon i did enjoy it but it is comp different from ladies everything from the cutting to the conversation.we charged 7.50 per hair cut and it took 20 mins to do a cut i earned about 120 pounds a day and nearly 200 on a sat working 5 days but rent on my chair was 200 per week and then also had my insurance tax and expense.i do mobile now and doing gents is a waste of time on its own egegent to gent cut unless your doing a family or doing there wifes hair.in my area most men like to be in and out of the hairdressers quick as poss.and dont like fuss so it is hard to charge more money to make it worth your while but it did make me a better hairdresser with cutting as with gents you see every snip so i am no longer scissor happy hope that help xxx

When i began as a freelancer i used to do quite a bit of mens barbering, my partners friends ect and then , husbands, sons, ect of clients say while there colour was taking so bumped up profits slightly. It is one of my least favourite services and unlike masonnewby i took a lot longer to " perfect" each one as yes every detail shows . The short hairs going everywhere drove me up the wall as well :lol: As i got busier i slowly phased out the guys unless they wanted something funky. and i turn down any call s i get for mens traditional styling, its not really worth time and travel for the returns on a general short, back and sides.
Saying that this is persona; preference and this may bve your forte x

I'd love to do a classic barbering course, or a general barbering course! They didn't teach us at college how to do barbering I had to learn on the job and from my Grandad (who was a barber). Although I could pick his brains all the time it's not the same as going on a course. Where can I find one? :( A woman I used to work with is a brilliant barber and she spent a year working in a barbers when she first started out and said it was one of the best things she'd done for her career. I'm not all that bad at gents cutting but I'm sure there's a lot more I could learn about it. About a year ago, a gent came in wanting a flat top. I was STUMPED! There's only so far your commonsense will take you!!

I wanted to do this a few years ago..
I can cut gents hair perfectly fine, but I do take my time... Id love to learn the skills of a barber as there are different techniques, and its all so fast!
I went to my local college where I did my day release.. the course was £800 1 night a week.
But all it would teach me was the basics I learnt in my NVQ2....!!
So that was a bit of a shame.
All I would suggest is some work exp and hands on in a barbers???

xox

i defo agree go and ask a barber could you go in and watch them cut you learn so much from watching!i did then after 3 month of watching i was allowed to pick up my scissors and they then helped me train after 6 months i was qualified but i do hate flat tops but the problem with doing it mobile you have to be same price as the salons as most men depending on what age like it cheap as poss but still a great job charging 5 pound a cut it not enough when you count in fuel and time expenses you do need say 4 or 5 gents at a time to make it worth it.as for courses look for ones that say TRADITIONAL gents barbering and you should be taught scissor over comb cutting and it should be nothing like ladies hairdressing you will need minium 6" scissors to pick up the hair hope that help xx

kl thank u every one!! have found a barber course that starts in november so gng to be dng that, then hopefully work in a barbers part time for extra income but will continue to do my ladies mobile.

:lol:

Contact The British Barbers Associtaion, they are at Salon International this year promoting their services. Membership is FREE and they can help with Training etc. Hope this helps.

British Barbers' Association

Latest posts

Back