Base and top coats

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clareh

Level 3 hairdresser, nail and brow tech
Reaction score
Hi. I haven’t settled on a gel brand yet, does anyone have suggestions on a top and base coat which seems to work with multiple brands? I’m lucky to have some volunteers and really focusing on my prep and application initially as I think the different brands will help me see what works for me product wise before investing in the range

You need to stay within the brand you chose, the base and top coats will be formulated to work together with the colour coats. Mixing and matching will cause product breakdown involving peeling, lifting and potentially undercuring issues.

So there’s no easy way of determining which brand then? I’m quite happy to buy all the kit including the lamp but from what I understand and from reading posts on here,preferred brands are a very personal thing and not something which someone else can tell you? It seems to be really subjective so now I’m stumped

Yeah I get the message about the lamps- no need to shout lol. As I’m investing a lot of money and not doing it full time (mobile evenings and weekends) I need to get the brand right?

Invest your money into the cnd lamp, shellac basecoat/topcoat, and a few shellac polishes. Thats really all you need. You will also need to watch the Shellac basics youtube videos by Fingernailfixer to get up to speed. Shellac will chip like a mofo if you don't clean the nails thoroughly.

Last edited:
In an effort to give you some unbiased advice I'm not going to try and push a particular brand because there are plenty of good PROFESSIONAL brands out there that offer an excellent choice of colours that will last very well if applied correctly and by following the manufacturers guidelines. (I.e. Using correct prep/base/top/lamp etc) and I honestly don't believe there is only one brand worth considering and there will be many other professional nail techs that will agree. Maybe make a list of the ones you've heard good things about so far, use the search engine here to see what other techs have to say - both good and bad - about them, then maybe see if they have a Facebook group you can follow where you'll be able to see photos and see what people using the brand have to say. Customer service is important, so see if they have a good reputation on that front, then you can also have a look at cost, training options, availability of products etc. This is what I did recently before changing brands. It took me a good 6 months to make my decision though!

Perhaps go to a few different salons in your area and have a set of gel polish by a different brand in each one?
This way you can compare the longevity of each system and see how it's used without the huge expense of buying lamps and stuff [emoji4]

Have a think about how you want to buy your polishes, if you want to go and buy it from a shop check out your local beauty supply shop and see what they carry (Sally’s and capital both carry Gellux and opi near me, but they carry different other brands)
Decide whether you would like to try hybrid polish (like opi) or a pure gel (like Gellux)

if you don’t mind buying online it opens up both capital and Sally’s, but also cnd, ink, gel bottle, ect,
Most professional brands have a decent colour selection though, and but have read about pigmentation, consistency too.

Don't buy into it , Clareh. There is only one good brand, and that is CND. I mean, you already know. Just looking at the bottle and you can tell its high quality. You are wasting money trying and supporting these other brands who don't people science and people first.

Don't buy into it , Clareh. There is only one good brand, and that is CND. I mean, you already know. Just looking at the bottle and you can tell its high quality. You are wasting money trying and supporting these other brands who don't people science and people first.

Lol! Think that’s for other people to decide.

Really?? I’ve tried cnd..... it’s literally the shortest lasting gel on my nails..... it lasted hours before it came off!
You can’t fault the product quality but it doesn’t work for everyone, no one brand does, also it’s only available online from two places, sometimes I like to walk into a shop and walk out with what I need (eg cleanser or remover when I’m running low). Cnd is not for me, that doesn’t make it a bad product, but In my humble opinion it’s not the best.

OP
If your still not sure which brands you’d like to try, have a look for a trade show near you (I think there’s one in london in feb) most major brands will have representatives and demos, which would allow you to see the products in action (I remember gelish, cnd, opi ect had stands at Olympia Beauty)

Thanks everyone, really helpful comments! I think I will go for a few different sets- watch the applications of different brands. I am an artist so I suppose I look at materials as being only part of the end result albeit an important one- prep and application is still important for me to master. I prefer specific viscosities/ transparencies/ colour saturation when I’m painting and I really am anticipating me being quite picky about it when it comes to nails - I think I will really need to figure out what makes a polish feel lovely and exciting to work with then come back to the forum with a shortlist of properties I’m looking for in a brand. To me, nail colour is just another painting medium with a teeny tiny living canvas! You’re all artists to me thank you xxx

Trade show- yes there is! But I’m being made redundant and time off won’t be allowed as I’ve asked :-( (I’m apprenticing in hair level 3 at the grand old age of 38 in April- I am expecting to be poor so wanted a fun way to make extra money!) x

Have a think about how you want to buy your polishes, if you want to go and buy it from a shop check out your local beauty supply shop and see what they carry (Sally’s and capital both carry Gellux and opi near me, but they carry different other brands)
Decide whether you would like to try hybrid polish (like opi) or a pure gel (like Gellux)

if you don’t mind buying online it opens up both capital and Sally’s, but also cnd, ink, gel bottle, ect,
Most professional brands have a decent colour selection though, and but have read about pigmentation, consistency too.

I intend to go online mainly so good customer service will be important. I currently work in an office in the day (hairdressing part time) so I’ll annoy the women plus my friends and hair clients with a verbal survey on their preferences - thanks you just made me think of that! Heard great things about inklondon but they seem very cheap? Will keep an open mind CND included (well, that amount of passion should be acknowledged!)!! Xx

Really?? I’ve tried cnd..... it’s literally the shortest lasting gel on my nails..... it lasted hours before it came off!
You can’t fault the product quality but it doesn’t work for everyone, no one brand does, also it’s only available online from two places, sometimes I like to walk into a shop and walk out with what I need (eg cleanser or remover when I’m running low). Cnd is not for me, that doesn’t make it a bad product, but In my humble opinion it’s not the best.

OP
If your still not sure which brands you’d like to try, have a look for a trade show near you (I think there’s one in london in feb) most major brands will have representatives and demos, which would allow you to see the products in action (I remember gelish, cnd, opi ect had stands at Olympia Beauty)

I totally agree with you that using shellac can be a pain in the butt. There's a ton of reasons why you can have lifting though. But properly applied shellac will last a good 2+ weeks as advertised.

As others have already said, it's definitely about the prep and application. Skimp on the prep and be sure to get lift. My nail tech's work with Bio-Sculpture and we wouldn't change brand for anything. Although not as competitive on price as some, I do believe you get what you pay for with Gels. Bio have fab colours and seem to be so much more self levelling than other brands - personal view of course..

I totally agree with you that using shellac can be a pain in the butt. There's a ton of reasons why you can have lifting though. But properly applied shellac will last a good 2+ weeks as advertised.

Shellac isn’t for everyone. For my clients it didn’t offer enough strength.
I converted to Gelish 3 years ago after using shellac for 2 years and I haven’t looked back. All of my clients prefer it. It was the best decision for my business.
So for me, CND isn’t the best out there.

Latest posts

Back