Base color & balayage using Aveda color

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carly062

Reaction score
Please help!! Aveda color only please! I had a client who came in to consult yesterday who previously had her hair balayaged by a different stylist. Naturally, she is about a level 5 and has an inch of level 5 regrowth. Below that regrowth, she has about an inch-inch and a half of color that must have been the base color the styist previously used but it is very faded and looks almost strawberry blonde that was feathered to transition into the balayaged ends which are a warm level 10. She said she got it done a couple of months ago and it was too warm in the first place but as it has faded she notices more of the red and the goal is to get rid of the warmth. She showed me pictures of ashed out roots and ashy blonde ends and I showed her aveda ash swatches so that is what we agreed to do. I've been thinking about which formulas to do and since she has a lot going on just wanted to get some opinions/suggestions!!

For her inch of level 5 regrowth (she thinks the contrast of 5 is too dark against her blonde ends so I was going to lighten the base a few levels) 30vol with 7N and a few g of light b/b

To feather down on the strawberry blondish hair 10vol with 7N and double the amount of light b/b that I used on her roots to really cancel out the warmth?

And for her ends they're already light but she wants basically platinum ends so should I paint lightener on all of the ends and tone with aveda ash toner? Or just feather up some lightner then tone? Never used the ash toner yet before so I'm not sure if the extra lightneing is necessary?

I had this problem with a client where it was to warm, with the roots if you're going from a 5 to a 7 you'd be okay just using 20vol, if you're saying it's gone a slightly reddy colour I would even add a gram or so of bg!
For the ends I'd maybe lighten the ends up a little bit re asses then put ash toner on don't freak out if when the toner goes on it looks dark it's absolutely fine!

I've started put equalising solution on every client I do and the result is 10x better!!!

Hope that helps!

Nice to finally have a few more Aveda geeks on board :)

Are u using the new ash toner?? Bc with that one it had to be a level 9 or higher

The ash toner won't lift it any more just neutilize the colour that's there so if she's after platinum I would lighten and feather up if you have deep in your salon I would use the blue grey in deep into the 7 full spectrum (remember to half the grams) xx

Latest posts

Back