Base colours when covering grey

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillie

Reaction score
I'm currently using wella but I find when covering grey hair levels 6 - 9 come out very brassy even on completely white hair Does anyone use anything they recommend?

What else are you mixing with your base? I've been using wella since May and even took a color class in November on it. I haven't come across any problems personally or in the salon and this problem wasnt even addressed in my class.

If using just neutral colors, then there shouldn't be any unwanted tones, if so I would conteract them with their respective complementary color:)

Victoria Gillespie

Thanks for the advice ive been using aveda colours and their base colours are so natural looking I think it was a shock as the wella colours look a lot more false and very brassy in comparison I have been using a tone with them now and they look better but a bit dull

u using the double bases? 66/0 etc?

u using the double bases? 66/0 etc?

I only use that on really resistant hair, should I be? Do you ever only use base or do you always add tone when colouring grey hair?

the double bases aren't going to hurt at all, we had a client come into our salon 100% gray and wanted her hair colored, called the tech hotline and the lightest we could go to still cover the gray would be a 9/03 which to me was very "yellow" and she decided against it,

I always use a neutral base because thats just what my clients happen to choose, but make sure that your clients percentage of gray hair matches the percentage of neutral colors in your formula

50% gray = 50% neutral in your formula.

the double bases aren't going to hurt at all, we had a client come into our salon 100% gray and wanted her hair colored, called the tech hotline and the lightest we could go to still cover the gray would be a 9/03 which to me was very "yellow" and she decided against it,

I always use a neutral base because thats just what my clients happen to choose, but make sure that your clients percentage of gray hair matches the percentage of neutral colors in your formula

50% gray = 50% neutral in your formula.

On my clients with grey hair I always stick to using /03 /07 or /38 mixed with base and never have any problems. I usually use 30ml "colour" to 15ml "base"

On my clients with grey hair I always stick to using /03 /07 or /38 mixed with base and never have any problems. I usually use 30ml "colour" to 15ml "base"

Great ! Thanks for that that sounds nice! I'll give them a try :)

Latest posts

Back