Beautician salary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat.

Reaction score
Im hoping to employ somebody in the next few months, i havent been employed for about 4yrs now and have absolutely no idea what would be the amount pr hour, does anybody know what the standard wage pr hour for a fully qualified (Nvq lvl3) beautician?! I will be doing comission on products on top of the their basic hourly wage!!

Thanks xx

£0.47p

....and a bowl of porridge

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
NMW is £6.31 for over 21 year olds

£5.03 for 16-18 year olds.

I would work out what you can actually afford to pay out, taking into consideration employers NI contributions.

Also ask at interview stage what their salary expectations are.

You don't want to pay somebody much less than they initially expect as they will leave as soon an even slightly higher paid job comes up. You also don't want to pay a lot more than what they expect.

Commission can work well. Have you thought of other ways to reward your staff? 'Free Lunch Friday' or something like that.

Not everyone is driven by ££££ Sometimes just to be valued and appreciated goes a very long way. How will you make your staff feel like that?

£0.47p

....and a bowl of porridge

I never got that bowl of porridge. Just the 47p :rolleyes:

And I HATE being asked how much I expect. more than you're willing to offer most likely!

On a more serious note, you need to work out how much you can afford to pay someone. E.g. if they were going to be on about 15k/annum could you afford that? Or £20k/annum etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Salary expectation questions are not nice for either side.

As somebody being interviewed I would expect to be knocked down a bit.

As an employer (The business that I was responsible for running until recently employed over 200 staff at my site) I found it an invaluable question.

So what if people hate being asked it? Interviews are already uncomfortable for some people. It's just par for the course.

I've just taken on a level 3 at £7/hour. I wanted to pay more than the NMW but at the moment there is no commission in place. It's also a zero hours contract - which suits both parties for the time being.

HTH

Debbs x

Oh - and I've offered free porridge for breakfast as an incentive (Virtues will be pleased to know!)

I've just taken on a level 3 at £7/hour. I wanted to pay more than the NMW but at the moment there is no commission in place. It's also a zero hours contract - which suits both parties for the time being.

HTH

Debbs x

Oh - and I've offered free porridge for breakfast as an incentive (Virtues will be pleased to know!)

How do you work this ? I have a member of staff that really that dose not much around the salon but handly to have on days we need her

Thankyou all so much for your replies, taking it all on board and will stock up on porridge ;)!! X

I find that when I ask what they want to be paid, it's less than I have in mind!

NMW is £6.31 for over 21 year olds

£5.03 for 16-18 year olds.

I

£5.03 is over 18 years old . However £2.68 for apprentices under 20 years old ( well 19 and in their first year)

£5.03 is over 18 years old . However £2.68 for apprentices under 20 years old ( well 19 and in their first year)

Any aged apprentice in their first year 😱 I read on here it was being offered to someone over 25, & thought that can't be right.

Checked on the governments website & it is.

Shocking, How would you pay bills on £2.68 ph?

Xx

My staff are on NMW but get commission which can boost their wages by £1-2+ per hour - if they work hard they get more money.

:)

Any aged apprentice in their first year 😱 I read on here it was being offered to someone over 25, & thought that can't be right.

Xx

Have a husband/partner with a decent wage, still love at home with generous parents.

It's better than college where you get nothing.

I presume people who take in apprentices when they are older have a plan, but it is a really low wage, but you gain so much from a GOOD apprenticeship.

Xx

How can the employers sleep at night! My young apprentices start on no less than £5 and never stay there for long. These are just guidelines to the point that you can not pay lower than this. . I find employers pay no more than this. I couldn't do it. It's wrong.

I'm sorry but our apprentices get invested about £14,000 worth of training. I think that makes up the difference! Enabling them to earn higher money later on in life.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1404586435.416002.jpg

Who ever said an apprentice 25 in their first year get £2.86 Is wrong you didn't look up the goverment website, any other apprentices get minimum wage for their age so someone who is 25 gets £6.31

Xx

As a 23 year old apprentice it was a mixture of housing benefit and my boyfriends student finance. Also buying everything in the value range at tesco.

As a 23 year old apprentice it was a mixture of housing benefit and my boyfriends student finance. Also buying everything in the value range at tesco.

You should be on £6.31 an hour at 23.

If you are 19 or over and in your first year of your apprenticeship it is £2.68 per hour - it said that in the picture posted above.

Over 19 and in second year is NMW for your wage.

Ah at least it will go up in the second year!

Latest posts

Back