Beauty | Dove's New 'Patches' Ad Campaign Sits Uncomfortably

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
I'll admit - I was impressed with Dove's Real Beauty campaign when they launched it. It felt fresh, honest and it seemed to celebrate what we really looked like. Fast forward a few years and in a new attempt to portray the 'real beauty' in us all they've launched their Patches campaign.

The short film shows ten women agreeing to wear a patch that they are told will make them feel better about themselves. Over the next few days, these women grow in confidence - they are happier and say they feel more beautiful. The crushing blow is then delivered - there is nothing in the patch. The power of the placebo effect is unveiled and the truth is revealed - confidence, happiness and self-esteem were all there for the taking all along. The women are overwhelmed; they cry.

But I have a few issues - what on earth did they think was in the patch that could transfuse them with self esteem? Why would they wear the patch if they didn't know what was in it? Is there some moral line being crossed here? It's hard work listening to these women talk about how ugly they are, how little they think of themselves before they finally reach self-acceptance.

You almost don't believe it. See for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGDMXvdwN5c

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 22.14.50.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 22.14.50.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 173
This made me feel really sad :( and highlights the power that some brands hold.

Had the thought occurred that media portrayal of the perfect woman; celebrity culture; the constant bombarding by the fashion, glamour, and cosmetics industry selling a dream is at the root of women's low self-esteem?

Perhaps Dove's highlighting this low self esteem culture among women is supposed to have the effect its having on you and perhaps the patch represents a little bit of TLC everyone of us deserves and that Dove can give us that little lift.

Had the thought occurred that media portrayal of the perfect woman; celebrity culture; the constant bombarding by the fashion, glamour, and cosmetics industry selling a dream is at the root of women's low self-esteem?

Perhaps Dove's highlighting this low self esteem culture among women is supposed to have the effect its having on you and perhaps the patch represents a little bit of TLC everyone of us deserves and that Dove can give us that little lift.

I agree with what you say, except it's not Dove giving them that little lift. They are doing it for themselves!

And I hope that all women realise that. This possible shows how easy it would be - mind over matter - and it's for FREE!

Edit: I didn't watch the films.

Last edited:
Although the filming/ scripting seemed a little too "polished", I thought it was actually very insightful and true.

Actually, there was something in the patches. Self-belief.

Latest posts

Back