Beauty "enrichment" at a secondary school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LozStant

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I was wondering if anyone could help me or give me an advice/ideas :)

I've been asked to go into one of my local secondary schools for 1 hour a week for 7 weeks to take part in their enrichment. I am a fully qualified beauty therapist & just trying to get ideas of what I could include. I have complete control of the sessions so can do what I want. I want to make it fun, but also make the most of the hour each week to teach them what I can. They will be aged 13-16 & there will be a group of them...potentially upto 20.

I would really appreciate any of your help.

Thanks in advance xx

Start interesting, show them some nail designs you think they could do after 7 days. Then go in for a basic tidy of the nail, move on to plain polish. Add some nail art.

If there's time try simple massage or ask they all bring in tweezers and do some brow shaping. Xoxo

i remember we had something like this in school and what we loved was eye makeup styles/tips and eyelashes , how to pick colours for our skin,we also did nail foils,it was great fun :D maybe on the first session ask them to write down 2 things they would really like to see/do and take it from there :) x x x

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

Start interesting, show them some nail designs you think they could do after 7 days. Then go in for a basic tidy of the nail, move on to plain polish. Add some nail art.

If there's time try simple massage or ask they all bring in tweezers and do some brow shaping. Xoxo

Thanks Tomme :) yes I was thinking massage...maybe a bit of Indian head & BNS. Thanks x

i remember we had something like this in school and what we loved was eye makeup styles/tips and eyelashes , how to pick colours for our skin,we also did nail foils,it was great fun :D maybe on the first session ask them to write down 2 things they would really like to see/do and take it from there :) x x x

Thanks Cora-Ann. Makeup & lashes is a great one :) will start writing down all these ideas. I've got until the start of June to plan it all.phew...lol xx

Just a word of caution, I think with something like tweezing eyebrows as another geek suggested, you would need parental permission. Nail varnish can be removed easily enough but they can't make more hair grow back!! Perhaps if you wanted to show them this you could use a model instead? Just a suggestion xx

What about talking to them about hair removal. Mainly on legs. Giving handouts on what available to them. DIY kits etc. I know when I was that age or maybe a bit younger we hated the hairs n our legs. We were desperate to shave them. Mum was always nagging us to "leave our legs alone!"of course we didn't listen.... I have the scars to prove it!! Lol! Wendy

What about talking to them about hair removal. Mainly on legs. Giving handouts on what available to them. DIY kits etc. I know when I was that age or maybe a bit younger we hated the hairs n our legs. We were desperate to shave them. Mum was always nagging us to "leave our legs alone!"of course we didn't listen.... I have the scars to prove it!! Lol! Wendy

I think that's a great idea for a class, especially with hair removal at younger ages becoming more common.

What about caring for your skin? So like what products are good for young proble skin, importance of fully removing makeup, and a demo on cleaning toning and moisturing :) x x

I have done this, and did make up for the first 2 times because they loved it so much, then got ideas from them of what else to do. I told them that this was the place to ask questions, however stupid, and I would answer them. They wanted to know how to cover spots, how to grow their nails, what eyeshadows would suit them etc. I steered very clear of doing anything to them that would need parental approval, but also spoke to the school about what was acceptable. Good luck, I really enjoyed it!

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone :) really appreciate the help & advice. I will start writing up a little plan I think xx

Hiya

I did something similar at a local school last year, It was loads of fun. I was there for an hour and a half a week for 8 weeks i did the following.

Week 1 - Introductions, brief chat about what they wanted to do and hand out parental consent slips and consultation forms.

Week 2 - Basic skin care, where they learnt a basic 3 step cleanse, tone, moisturise and look after their own skin.

Week 3&4 - Make up techniques, natural day to evening looks.

Week 5 - Make there own products, we used oatmeal and honey and things to make natural face masks and body scrubs lol very messy but loads of fun

Week 6 - Natural nails, where they learnt to file and shape their own nails, cuticle oil and hand massages.

Week 7&8 - Nail art, where they got to play with polish, glitter, foil and dotting tools.

Hope this gives you some inspiration and have fun xxx

Just want to ask, does anyone feel this will bring about a reduction or increase applications to courses?
Personally I would hope it would put the ones who would quit after finding out how hard the courses really are off as well as really inspire the ones with the true drive xoxo

We did this at school and the person focussed on proper skin care. She did a demo facial and used different 'models' To show different kin conditions. Regular professional facials were of course recommended - this could lead to som new young clients.

Definately show them how to apply their makeup...not enough people get shown this.

Is there an age limit re massage and young people? Im thinking a back neck and shoulder massage might not be an option?

Definately show them how to apply their makeup...not enough people get shown this.

Is there an age limit re massage and young people? Im thinking a back neck and shoulder massage might not be an option?

Yeah I had thought that about the BNS...would have to be fully clothed if we did that I'm thinking. Hmm...will probs stick with other body parts! Lol x

Hiya

I did something similar at a local school last year, It was loads of fun. I was there for an hour and a half a week for 8 weeks i did the following.

Week 1 - Introductions, brief chat about what they wanted to do and hand out parental consent slips and consultation forms.

Week 2 - Basic skin care, where they learnt a basic 3 step cleanse, tone, moisturise and look after their own skin.

Week 5 - Make there own products, we used oatmeal and honey and things to make natural face masks and body scrubs lol very messy but loads of fun

Week 6 - Natural nails, where they learnt to file and shape their own nails, cuticle oil and hand massages.

Week 7&8 - Nail art, where they got to play with polish, glitter, foil and dotting tools.

Thank you for this :) did you just use your own consultation forms? What about the consent slips? Not had to do those before! Love the idea of making their own products!! X

Just a word of caution, I think with something like tweezing eyebrows as another geek suggested, you would need parental permission. Nail varnish can be removed easily enough but they can't make more hair grow back!! Perhaps if you wanted to show them this you could use a model instead? Just a suggestion xx

Yes I agree! I am a little cautious as to what would be ok & what wouldn't. Think I need to be a little careful x

I would do a standard sch letter - ask the school if it could be on their letter headed paper with a list of the contents of the 8wks. That way you can keep a copy for your ins but so can the sch,
The 8 wk course that bling fairy sent is great. Xxx

Hiya

Hi bling fairy,

Latest posts

Back