Beauty insurance in Australia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

always00smiling

Reaction score
Hi lovely geeks!

I've recently moved to Sydney Australia and wondered if any nail/tanning techs could advise which companies they use for their public liability insurance?

Most of the companies I've spoken to are charging a lot more than in the UK but I feel that is the norm, however, it would be nice to get some personal recommendations before I make a decision.

Many Thanks xx

Try sparrow insurance. Ask for sue sparrow or Robyn. They are great and beauty specific. Hope this helps x

I shall make a note of this too. Thinking of moving out there myself. Can you be self employed doing mobile beauty and hair or do you have to go into a salon?

Hi contact Karen Peppercorn at APFA, I'm sure she would be able to help you.

www.apfa.net.au

Last edited:
Thank you :) I am planning to work from home, however the cost of insurance is high and also products are more expensive than the uk. Obviously this should be reflected in the cost per treatment but in the area I'm living it doesn't seem to be.

Hopefully as I become more familiar with the country and where to buy wholesale products that will help.

Xx

Karen is based in NSW and can direct you to suppliers

Anyone have any contacts in WA? :)

Anyone have any contacts in WA? :)

Sorry no, but CNE in Preston Victoria and Eznailz Face and Beauty in Thomastown in Victoria are CND suppliers and will ship items

Thanks Murfles, sparrow insurance were great! I have gone with them xx

I also use Sparrow, Robyn is lovely. I actually knew her before I even started in this industry but it wasn't until recently we both realised who each other was from our past:)

Laurachickgeek, yes, you can go mobile or work from a salon or work from a home salon. We have the same council rules and reg's like many other countries, so it would depend where you end up as to what you have to do.

Thanks Murfles, sparrow insurance were great! I have gone with them xx

Oh great! You are welcome! They were so helpful to me, and it makes a big difference that they actually understand the treatments we do x

Hi ladies,

I wonder if you would be kind enough to help again! I've contacted the local council to enquire about the requirements for setting up a home/mobile nail business. They have informed me (via an email document) that the only acceptable method of sterilisation of tools is an autoclave or a Dry Heat Steriliser. I live in NSW. Do you have any advice as to what other technicians do or recommendations on where to purchase these?

I fear that the cost of the required equipment is going to make it difficult for me to continue being a nail technician as I only want to work two days a week :-(

Thanks geeks

Hi ladies,

I wonder if you would be kind enough to help again! I've contacted the local council to enquire about the requirements for setting up a home/mobile nail business. They have informed me (via an email document) that the only acceptable method of sterilisation of tools is an autoclave or a Dry Heat Steriliser. I live in NSW. Do you have any advice as to what other technicians do or recommendations on where to purchase these?

I fear that the cost of the required equipment is going to make it difficult for me to continue being a nail technician as I only want to work two days a week :-(

Thanks geeks

I really need an answer to this too, as I will be emigrating to NSW in 5 weeks time, taking my Bio Sculpture with me. I will be North of Sydney so Im sure I will need all the information I can get about autoclave / Dry Heat Sterilisers too :0 - I await your answers with interest...

Hi ladies,

Thanks geeks

The only way you can technically sterilise is with an autoclave or dry heat steriliser, but what you need to find out is IF you are required to sterilise or just sanitise. This is the bit that can vary from council to council, some will say you only need to sterilise "if you cut cuticle" this is because it is deemed as a Skin Penetration act and they are trying to have some type of control due to the NSS's that make a mess. Other councils may say "if you use metal instruments", during my shellac training ages back there was a girl there saying that the inspector told her she had to get an autoclave or get rid of all her metal instruments, she was complaining all she could use was an orangewood stick that she had to throw out after each service and was impossible to do proper prep.
So only way to find out if you do need one is to get in contact with the Environmental Heath Officer in your local council and let them know what you are planning to use and ask whether you would require an autoclave or dryheat steriliser to get your approval.
If you do need to get one the best place is direct from supplier you will save a ton, look at the Siltex website for autoclave, think you have to email them for a price. Dry heat sterilisers are cheaper but when having a chat with my inspector (the Environmental Health Officer) he told me that they preferred to see the autoclaves and I got the feeling someone was trying to get them excluded (it really is a pain in the butt the way they are doing things). I also recall someone saying that they have a deal with the local dentist, they buy their own pouches or something and pay a small fee to use their autoclave.
Before you stress too much talk to the Environmental Health Officer(s) and ask them directly what is required, go into detail with them about what tools you use or organise to see them and show them so you know you get the correct answer.
Hope that is of some help to you.

Oh just remembered, another thing that requires you to have one in my council area is using the metal foot files (this is deemed a Skin Penetration Act as you are removing skin), this one is an easy fix though, by using the plastic peddi paddles with disposable gritts that stick on (can't think of the silly technical name lol) and disposing the sticky grit thing after each use.
Oh I really sound professional here don't I ha ha.

Hi Barebeauty,

Thank you for your in-depth response. Our council "hills" have said that cuticle tools will need sterilising by an Autoclave or Dry Heat method. I will contact them on Monday and ask a few more questions. I'm so disappointed as I trained before coming to Australia so that I could work from home and now looking at paying $5000 for a small autoclave just seems impossible when I my hours of work wouldn't justify the cost.

I do understand why it's required but was expecting the regulations would be the same as in the UK.

I wondered if it is the same regulations for mobile nail technicians? Seems unlikely to have different regs but I live in hope!

Great tip about the foot files, I did think they would be a good option when I saw them at Salon First xx

It's confusing and disheartening isn't it.
I am PM'ing you now.

I requested a quote through Sparrow, but I really want to compare a few before I choose an insurer, who else is good for insurance in Australia?:irked:

Latest posts

Back