Beauty | Is Beauty Industry A "Stealth Imperialism With Self Harm Its Main Weapon"?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
On Wednesday, The Guardian published an article by Hannah Betts and boy, does she lay into the beauty industry. When the beauty industry comes under criticism, I'm the first to take a step back, get some perspective and, if necessary, hold my hands up and say, "Yep. You're right. We need to take responsibility for that." However, in this case, I'm a little bemused. I've really tried to follow her logic but I'm struggling.

In a nutshell, it appears that she's berating the capitalist West and all the white people in it for imposing an unnatural, and unrealistic version of beauty that punishes, destroys and puts at risk those that try to emulate it.

"In India," Betts says, "an estimated 40% of the nation uses face whiteners, since pallor – like straightened black hair in America – is considered both professionally and sexually desirable. This year, its citizens are expected to spend half a billion dollars on such products, up 15% from 2011...Yet, where 700 million Indians are living on less than $2 a day, perilous, unbranded chemical options are rife." In one easy step, she makes the beauty industry not just a racial bully, but also the big fat cat preying on the poor and vulnerable.

Unsurprisingly, bigwigs like L'Oreal, Unilever and Garnier warrant special mention and criticism from her for their manipulative methods but really, when all said and done, she's not very impressed with us all.

This is all very well and good, but if she knew her history beans she'd understand that the caste system in India has been in place for over two thousand years (well before any unified beauty imperialism) and the lighter the skin, the higher the caste. Now, I'd be willing to listen if she wanted to blame colonialism and white imperialism for this issue, but blaming the beauty industry? Really?

Betts also conveniently forgets to mention that literally millions of Europeans and Americans spend literally millions on sunbeds, tanning and holidays in an attempt to get their skin darker. She declines to delve into the possible influences or the psychological issues behind this.

Even if I could, for a second, get fully on board with her belief that the beauty industry must accept responsibility for this I would only do it if we could share the blame with the movie industry. And magazines. And TV. And fashion designers. And newspapers. And models. And while we're at it, let's throw in reality TV. I'm not sure why, but reality TV is generally considered to be at the root of all evil.

The simple fact is, that her article is at best a starting point for discussion, and probably quite an interesting one. At worst, it's yet another attempt to blame the evil west, the booming beauty industry and to paint a very colourful argument black and white.

To read the full article, click HERE.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• black.white.jpg
    black.white.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 478
Very, very interesting... it really is amazing how one sided an article can be.
I've often found the opposing styles/fashions/aspirations of different cultures fascinating.
Chinese women for years have whitened their faces yet like you say the west is aspiring to be tanned (sometimes to the extreme).
Another area where this is so opposed is in weight/body shape.... the west is aspiring (mostly) to be thin, slender and size 0... even the 'curvy' people we admire are barely more than a size 10. However in some countries such as Jamaica women are taking chicken fattening pills in order to put on the pounds and aspire to have as a big a bum as possible!
No one will ever be happy....where a person with afro hair will want a chemical straightening, a person with straight hair will want a perm... it's human nature to envy and although the beauty industry can help you achieve your desires, it certainly doesn't implant the thoughts in the first place!

I think her article would carry more weight if it came from someone who had not made her substantial income from her westernised industry (journalism).

An industry that has happily thrived on sensational headlines, unchallenged articles and people's misery and grief.

Very, very interesting... it really is amazing how one sided an article can be.
I've often found the opposing styles/fashions/aspirations of different cultures fascinating.
Chinese women for years have whitened their faces yet like you say the west is aspiring to be tanned (sometimes to the extreme).
Another area where this is so opposed is in weight/body shape.... the west is aspiring (mostly) to be thin, slender and size 0... even the 'curvy' people we admire are barely more than a size 10. However in some countries such as Jamaica women are taking chicken fattening pills in order to put on the pounds and aspire to have as a big a bum as possible!
No one will ever be happy....where a person with afro hair will want a chemical straightening, a person with straight hair will want a perm... it's human nature to envy and although the beauty industry can help you achieve your desires, it certainly doesn't implant the thoughts in the first place!

I think I want to move to Jamaica :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

pallor revered in India.

well they'd just love me then.

i'd fit in well in Jamaica too though.. decisions, decisions.

Ive not read the article, i get fed up with the attitude of some of these so called 'journalists' who seem less about evidence and research these days and more about sensationalism.... Oh yes and who to witch hunt next!

Nails is my thing, which i consider to fall under the bracket of beauty. I wonder if this 'journalist' is aware that caring for, making pretty and probably symbolically the ancient egyptians thought too that their thing was nails, along with make up as well.... Now correct me if im wrong... the key word here is ancient and last time i checked egypt ancient or current isnt in the west.... no its the middle east. Hardly recent, hardly those 'capitalist westerners'.

Yawn yawn whos turn will it be next week i
wonder ;)

Last edited:
i find this very petty. lets face it, we look in the mirror and even us beauty geeks want a little tweek here and a little bit more there, weather its cosmetic or not. no body is perfect, but we all desire perfection and although our industry may not grant such perfections, we allow everyone that one small tweek in the right direction to help boost appearance AND more importantly confidence. unlike the media and journalists who prey on peoples insecurity's and their darkest hours. and when the tabloids snap jessica simpson or what ever celeb looking rough just 2 hours after giving birth, who is she going to turn to to make her feel better and confident enough to face the world? HER THERAPIST!!!! so really we should be thanking thier narrow mindedness. :twisted:

I checked out some of Hannah Betts other articles and all I can say is 'She's a fine one to talk!!!!!'

Isn't it amazing how someone can write an article about our industry and use it to take the heat off of their industry lol maybe its the media ..... not the people who make it possible...

I'd love to see what's in her bathroom cupboard! Or how much she spends on her beauty treatments a month! I think that tv, mags and ppl like her make ppl do things tab extremely and bleach their face!
We just get the benefits of a profit and practice professionally and safely!

Latest posts

Back