Beauty | Poop, Venom & Snails: Are These Kooky Treatments As Natural As It Gets?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
We have all raised our eyebrows over the various beauty fads that have come around. At first glance they all seem ridiculous and the most recent, the Bird Poo Facial, could, at first glance, appear to be another one.

The Bird Poo Facial is a treatment that New York salon, Shizuka New York, has been offering since at least 2008, but I guess for PR reasons, they call it the Geisha Facial. For $180 you can have a facial made from UV disinfected nightingale poo mixed with rice bran (to hide it's smell, naturally) and air-lifted in from Japan. The poo is said to contain enzymes that break down dead skin cells and guanine, a nucleobase that shines the skin too.

Lump this treatment in with the snail trail face cream from Masque*ology, the synthetic snake venom cream from Sonya Dakar, Deborah Mitchell's Bee Venom Mask and Wrinkle butter which contains an earthworm complex and what have you got? Either the faddiest attempt to make some money, or perhaps the most natural ingredients you can get?

Dr. Joshua Zeichner, director of cosmetic and clinical research in the dermatology departments at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York says, "People discovered organic didn't always mean organic and marketed naturals could be harmful to one's skin. Animal extracts are a new way of treating the skin while offering a new definition of natural."

The Duchess of Cornwall, Gwyneth Paltrow and Mel Gibson are all fans of these treatments. Mel Gibson uses cow brains saying, "...it cleanses the neurotransmitters and sharpens mental focus." I'm thinking good ol' Mel isn't a great advert for the treatment, but hey, that's just me.

So, I for one will leave the poo facials to the rich and royal, but maybe, just maybe they are as natural as it gets?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000005928292XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000005928292XSmall.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
I use Deborah Mitchell's Bee Venom Mask and do the Bee Sting Facial, these are fabulous products and treatments to offer the more discerning client and want great results using a more natural and organic approach. And they are British. What more can I say..... #bestbuybritish

Poo on your face and donuts on your forehead ... a sure recipe for beauty. good grief .... lets use human excrement (cleansed and from Japan, of course) next; that should be a winner !!!

I have a parrot.
Bird poop manicure anyone ? :)

Vicki x

Start saving the 'droppings' love, it could make your business !!! Sell it to the Japanese.

Just when you think this world cannot get any more crazy. :eek:

I might start saving the mess my red bellied piranhas make in their tank.....could make a fortune with the piranha poo pedicure :)

Latest posts

Back