Beauty | Salon Charges A "Fat Tax" For Waxing Treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to shock me these days, and even harder to outright anger me but this story did it. According to two newspapers, MM Bubbles salon, which describes itself as "one of London's leading beauty salons" is charging plus size women more for waxing treatments on the basis that they use more materials to complete the service.

According to The Daily Mail, the salon will charge women who are a size 12 or above an extra £5 and women who are sized 18 could be charged £10! The Sun sent in a sized 22 model who was charged £26 for her treatment - an extra £5 on top of the advertised price and was told, "'I know maybe for you it is not very nice but I use more stuff."

Christina Damela, one of the salon's beauty therapist, confirmed that additional charges for leg waxes are applied to larger women.

I wonder if they charge skinny women less? I doubt it.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• bikini waxing.jpg
    bikini waxing.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 260
This has made me feel ill!!!!

That has to be one of the most ignorant and stupid things I have ever heard of !!
Imagine if monsoon changed more for each increase in dress size .....there would be war and rightly so .
Stupid idea

That's completely ridiculous..
With some clients you use a bit more product or it takes a little longer and with some clients a bit less it's swings and roundabouts! I'm sure they won't have too many regular clients if they base their pricing on this silly policy!

That has to be one of the most ignorant and stupid things I have ever heard of !!
Imagine if monsoon changed more for each increase in dress size .....there would be war and rightly so .
Stupid idea

This is common Rinn, Next are ones that do this along with H&M..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

How tactless and rude. Thanks God they don't way the waxer!!!!

They'll be weighing them next.:evil:

This isn't all that shocking actually, in the US as a person considered "oversized" if you wear a larger size shirt, pants, dress etc you pay more than the "average" size consumer. If you are tall you pay extra for clothing, extra for a spot to sit on the plane that allows your knees not to be embedded in the seat in front of you. Some salons charge extra or turn an "oversized" person away for fear of damage to their thrones. You are treated like a second class citizen more often than not being judged in personal and professional situations which means working harder than an "average" size person to prove your value. High teen traffic areas should be avoided to escape being barked at, moo'd at, or just plainly insulted. The vast majority of "average" size people are that way by a mere chance of luck in the genetic draw, however like Hitler and his followers some people choose to assume genetic luck makes them superior to others.

I am tall and have to pay more for longer length clothes in some places!

Don't agree with this, or the wax thing btw!

The thing that gets to me is that a size 12 is considered 'large'

The thing that gets to me is that a size 12 is considered 'large'

I thought the same!! A 12 is average to me, and beautiful all the same! Should not be penalised.

You could wax a client of 6' tall and a size 10 and a 5'2 client who is an 18 and use the same amount of product and time, their pricing structure is flawed and very open to interpretation.

Their loss as their voluptuous clients will go elsewhere now!

I hate this, it drives me crazy! But it also annoys me that hairdressers charge much more if your hair is extra thick for colouring etc. it's the same sort of thing. Of course it'll take longer and use more materials etc but that's not the point! Raa it really annoys me!!

Well now as a size 12 I feel huge haha salads from now on or I might go bankrupt to get my waxing done!!!

Horrible! I can't imagine a salon doing that - personally I think they are asking for a loss of business and reputation. Everybody is different and we should all respect peoples differences and unique traits. Everybody is beautiful in there own way.

That's put me out then. Now I'm gonna be fat AND hairy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think the more diplomatic way for the salon to deal with this 'fat tax' is to have their prices at an appropriate rate that covers materials no matter what size the client. Then there is no need for the controversy. This sounds like some attention seeking media stunt tbh.

I am tall and have to pay more for longer length clothes in some places!

Don't agree with this, or the wax thing btw!

Me too! I have a 36" inside leg and pay about £20 more for a pair of jeans than the "average" person and most places class 34" leg long....yeah they're ankle swingers lol

Latest posts

Back