Beauty salon in self storage facility

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhaught

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I owned my own Beauty Salon but unfortunately had to cut my losses and close it a few years back due to the economic downturn.

Since then I have secured a full time job but I have never stopped wanting to have my own Beauty salon again.

Due to not being able to afford rent/business rates/wages etc in my last place when things started to go downhill I am not wanting to jump straight in to owning a large salon with huge overheads at the moment - just want to start small and grow slowly.

I have been considering renting office space in Big Yellow Storage, which works out at £58 per week which includes water rates, business rates, heating, car parking and 24 hour access. It is on a rolling month contract too which is great as I wont be tied to anything immediately.

I just wanted to know what people's thoughts were on this? Do you think people would find it strange to come to a self storage building for their beauty treatments? Will it look professional? Do you think I would get much business so long as I market properly?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,
It does sound a strange location but perhaps you have some photos on which we could give some feedback?
The location and parking would be important too.

Hi,
It does sound a strange location but perhaps you have some photos on which we could give some feedback?
The location and parking would be important too.

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it :)

Please see the link below for more information on the premises.

http://www.bigyellow.co.uk/business/office-rental

The offices are located literally a 5 minute walk from the centre of the town and is right on the main road. Free parking for clients is included.

I know someone who runs her own beauty school from this building and seems to work well for her. (although I know she is not running it as a salon, but it is set up like one so I can see how it would look).

Actually, the photos look rather nice!
Perhaps you could get a unit close to the beauty training school to give a professional section.
Think about noise from other units and accessibility, day light etc when choosing your space.
Free parking is a big plus [emoji4]

On balance, probably go for it!
Good luck

Just another little note to add above to consider. Accessibility to running water too, if you're doing all beauty treatments you're more than likely going to need regular access to water so you'll want to make sure you've got a sink fairly close by.
Good luck!

Sam x

Have you asked them if this is possible?

I've been to training in similar which was fine but not sure about actually going for beauty treatments x

Oooo! I know where that is! I'm 25 miles away from there, hi fellow south walean :)

I think the units look good but you'd need to point out on any advertising that it is in the storage unit building or people may not understand where to find you!

I'd go for it, I bet there's loads of parking there (unlike town) and I'm sure plenty of other businesses will be using the other units soon if they don't already, good luck with it all :)

Noooo! When you said setting up in a storage unit.. I was thinking you meant a lorry container in a yard lol!

What you mean is setting up in 'flexible office space' There are quite a few of those near me in what are called 'enterprise units'I. I know quite a few nail techs, beauty and health therapists that successfully work from them. I would say be objective and look at it from the point of veiw from a new customer:

Do you have to drive through a lorry park / freight yard to get to it? ( no )
Is it a nice tarmacked car park with parking bays marked ( yes )
What are the other businesses that occupy the building ( car workshops, fridge delivery places, carpet sellers ( No )
Are other occupants accountants, book keepers, financial advisers, HR departments, people that draw plans? ( yes)

A couple of the enterprise units near me are unsuitable ( wrong business mix), a couple would be fine ( assuming water /toilets / rental is all fine )

It does look pretty good - but marketing will be key because people may not expect to find a beauty salon here. You could also have a look on www.worknspace.co.uk. I think it's quite a new site and they advertise all sorts of spaces to rent but there seem to be quite a number of beauty rooms and chairs listed on there. Good luck!

Jessica

I LOVE THIS IDEA! But
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I owned my own Beauty Salon but unfortunately had to cut my losses and close it a few years back due to the economic downturn.

Since then I have secured a full time job but I have never stopped wanting to have my own Beauty salon again.

Due to not being able to afford rent/business rates/wages etc in my last place when things started to go downhill I am not wanting to jump straight in to owning a large salon with huge overheads at the moment - just want to start small and grow slowly.

I have been considering renting office space in Big Yellow Storage, which works out at £58 per week which includes water rates, business rates, heating, car parking and 24 hour access. It is on a rolling month contract too which is great as I wont be tied to anything immediately.

I just wanted to know what people's thoughts were on this? Do you think people would find it strange to come to a self storage building for their beauty treatments? Will it look professional? Do you think I would get much business so long as I market properly?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Do they have this in the USA?

Sounds good and worth a go. As long as you have water supply too and access for clients to go to the toilet then it is defo a good option. Great flexibility so you can give it a go and not worry about huge overheads.

Latest posts

Back